Preseason 2020/21

RoyMac5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

39ba89ff50500fe12569bc99e529e4a1.gif

No one's panicking, people are rightly concerned about our attacking options though.  We should sign some players, but with finances potentially an issue there is no guarantee we will be able to bring in quality additions and may bring in some players like Dowell or Paterson  in on loan as a last minute thing in early October.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m talking about why players like Clarke and Te Weirik, who were both clearly available, haven’t been given time to build a partnership.

Since Clarke rejoined on the day of the Brentford friendly, this is the first official match we've had where they could play together, and they did.

As they've both been at the club for the back end of last season too, I don't really see what you're on about.

Go on though. Opinions.

Just now, Needlesh said:

Since Clarke rejoined on the day of the Brentford friendly, this is the first official match we've had where they could play together, and they did.

As they've both been at the club for the back end of last season too, I don't really see what you're on about.

Go on though. Opinions.

They didn’t play together though. Clarke played at CB, Te Weirik for some bizzare reason was shoved at wing back. Being on the same pitch doesn’t equate to building a partnership at CB.

No need for panic stations, we will have the usual inconsistent start and build from there. Cocu clearly trying things out or using this to build fitness. 

Left back is looking like a battle between Lowe and Buchanan. Te Weirik clearly on the wing to build up fitness. Bird continues to look classy in the middle, but needs the right partner. Sibley looked off the pace today, but was also well marked. Marriott looking much fitter and stronger. 

Whittaker to break through this season, composed on the ball with good passing decisions, unlucky with attempted through ball. 

If we sign a striker who can hold the ball and a quick winger we are in business. 

In summary, a promising start in a new formation.

Missing Marshall, Wisdom, Rooney, Knight, Waghorn, Bielik and Lawrence. And yet we held our own for large parts of the match. My thoughts...

• Buchanan looked promising at WB. Surprisingly good in the air too.
  • Evans had a decent first half.
  • Bogle seemed a bit wary to commit forward. Needed him to push up more.
  • Holmes struggled I felt. Seemed to run into dead ends or make the wrong decision.
  • Whittaker replaced Holmes and I felt we immediately looked brighter for it. Moved the ball quicker. Good 1 touch passing.
  • Dutch Mike put in some good tackles, but of course made a mistake with that header.
  • Soloman looked mighty impressive for a 17 year old. A calm and assured debut on the whole, but perhaps caught out for the 2nd goal.
  • Ibrahim - I thought this game passed him by today.
  • Brown and Shonibare - not really enough time on the pitch to comment.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

They didn’t play together though. Clarke played at CB, Te Weirik for some bizzare reason was shoved at wing back. Being on the same pitch doesn’t equate to building a partnership at CB.

How do you know they have been training together as a partnership for months?

Try not to overreact to pre season friendlies but the fact we knew we lacked attacking players, that’s now three games in a row we’ve been entirely toothless so it’s more just confirming what we thought. It is a bit a of a worry giving we look so undercooked and the season starts in less than a week. We need to complete some more transfers but by the time we do, a month and a half of the season could’ve gone. 

Seriously.. Its early days, long season, players to come back etc.. But it does feel like we are accepting a slow start almost. 3 or 6 points dropped at the start of the season count just as much as they do at the end, and usually will be the difference between play offs or not.

Partnerships take time. Would prefer us to concentrate on preferred system /players and hit the ground at least jogging. 

So many players out injured /not available already, it would have been nice to feel some system is emerging rather than lots of tinkering. 

No panic, no abuse...just my feelings as a Cocu supporter. Long way to go..highlighted desperate need for Lawrence and ANother to give us some impact up top. 

Just now, Millenniumram said:

This qualifies as a problem? If your assumption that those two are your starting defensive partnership in a 4 is correct, what would you advocate today, playing those two and picking the rest of the team around that? So they can have 45 minutes in a friendly to forge the partnership? You're reaching a bit there youth.

We look terrified when teams press us, we don’t know how to play round / through a high pressing team

noticed it last season to, everyone just seems to flap and end up losing the ball or just aimlessly hoofing it away

we will continue to ship in plenty of goals this season through misplaced passes / poor control and players making silly mistakes through errors of judgement. 

I’d be interested to see our stats on goals conceded as a direct result of a mistake from last season, I’d be very confident that we are in the top 3 

we don’t appear to have addressed it

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Try not to overreact to pre season friendlies but the fact we knew we lacked attacking players, that’s now three games in a row we’ve been entirely toothless so it’s more just confirming what we thought. It is a bit a of a worry giving we look so undercooked and the season starts in less than a week. We need to complete some more transfers but by the time we do, a month and a half of the season could’ve gone. 

We ain't got a pot to piss in, who do you think we'll sign?

4 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

This qualifies as a problem? If your assumption that those two are your starting defensive partnership in a 4 is correct, what would you advocate today, playing those two and picking the rest of the team around that? So they can have 45 minutes in a friendly to forge the partnership? You're reaching a bit there youth.

I prefer a starting CB partnership, in a 4 or 5, to have played together at least once in their lives in a match next to each other before a season starts. He has a point. 

23 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

To be fair our defence I’d say is completely sorted for this year unless we get a massive injury. Our midfield is brilliant. Our attack is just poor. We have the ability to blow teams away we’ve seen it. Just need some pace and we’ll actually create chances 

I think brilliant is a little extreme lol 

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

The 'bizarre reason' as you put it was so that Cocu could have a look at Solomon in that slot. You need to chill your pills mate. It's a long old season ahead and there were no points on offer today. 

I honestly believe we should just go back to cocus favoured formation of a 433 and hope we sign a couple of wingers. This 3 at the back thing looks terribly disjoined as it's an entirely new system for us. Why take off an attacker to put another defender at the back? We already look toothless up front. This is just makes it even more apparent. 

Archived