Preseason 2020/21

RoyMac5

1 minute ago, Dimmu said:

Maybe they think we stole it from them? 

Unfortunately, we don't have history at match fixing (David Layne, anyone?) or done wrong lately either... 

I think we should go for it, that would make them even more mad.

I get it everday.

How did you get away with that?

Errr,because they looked at the evidence and found us not guilty?

It’s bent just like getting Rooney,blah,blah,blah etc,etc.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, desirelines said:

The number of times we've seen bad pre-seasons followed by decent seasons and decent pre-seasons followed by bad seasons. We should know not to read too much into the results. 

Does anyone know why Marshall didn't play? 

Scotland duty,  so all good. Except it disrupts our prep.

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Interesting that Sheff Utd fans were talking about Waggy last night. Apparently they came close to signing him before us but his £30k wage demands ended the negotiations.

I can't believe he's on that here, but who knows.

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

There is a lack of creativity. 
bird, shinnie, Evans and Bielik are not noted for their creativity. 
rooney plays very deep. 
Sibley is almost becoming a second striker / no10. The creativity void is behind him in midfield. 

Its not just about individual players though. We seem to lack a collective attacking mentality.
we seem more interested in safety first, endlessly recycling possession to no effect.

We will pass backward at the slightest sign of a challenge.
there was an attack yesterday where Brown was on the edge of the box, but he turned around and passed all the way back to Solomon. Two seconds later it was back with Ravas.  There are endless examples of that. Bogle seems fearful and understandably so as he gets a hammering from Cocu if he loses the ball. 

Sibley is a breath of fresh air precisely because he doesn’t do that. He is off message, thankfully.
Maybe that’s what delayed him getting his chance. 

Absolutely concur with those high-llghted in particular. Doubly-so the underlined bit. We have no collective mentality of taking that bit of risk, the courageous beating of the opponent in the upper-section of our game. We are over-crowded in midfield and spartan in attacking areas. The balance is loaded to being defensive and a low-risk game plan. We have no real change of pace, of moving through the gears or element of surprise. It's almost a sit-and-wait for the path to goal to open up. . . and it seldom does so let's just...re-cycle it backwards. 

8 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Results show we did you’re right, but can you remember the chaos with the 3 rotating midfielders? Reading could and should have been out of sight by the time mount scored.

Its a shame that after the debacle of last pre season most people were pinning their hopes on a more routine one this time around, turns out it’s been worse. A 3/4 week pre season with loss of injuries and a transfer embargo.

The term "daylight robbery" certainly applied to that result! We went mad when that goal flew in - everything about it was surreal.

One thing Lampard brought to us was that winning mentality and there were quite a few games that season we won when we had no right to.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely concur with those high-llghted in particular. Doubly-so the underlined bit. We have no collective mentality of taking that bit of risk, the courageous beating of the opponent in the upper-section of our game. We are over-crowded in midfield and spartan in attacking areas. The balance is loaded to being defensive and a low-risk game plan. We have no real change of pace, of moving through the gears or element of surprise. It's almost a sit-and-wait for the path to goal to open up. . . and it seldom does so let's just...re-cycle it backwards. 

Agree with this in principle, and that's why I was so delighted with Evan's 'Keogh-like' run. Clarke did something similar second half but it wasn't as impressive and petered out.

Sibley was providing those creative risk taking moments last season but he was coming back from a slight injury yesterday, Holmes similarly a more serious one.

I can't decide how much of this cautious mentality is due to coaching and how much due to confidence.

I was really looking forward to seeing Bogle as a wing back but he seemed more cautious than as a full back. Buchanan did more attacking than him.

Maybe when it's for real we will see more positive risk taking, but I would have thought friendlies were the perfect opportunity with nothing to lose.

We do seem to lack a bit of leadership on the pitch to get us going - Rooney was missed for this last night.

2 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I could believe it tbh remember that he was strongly linked with Middlesbrough at the time as well, we probably gave him the better contract to secure the deal along with £5M ??‍♂️

? Frank didn't mind splashing the cash. This season will be interesting then, surely we must extend his deal or how will the amortisation be dealt with.

22 hours ago, GenBr said:

Because these are nothing games that are not competitive in which we virtually never play the starting 11 who will be starting the season together and that allow as many substitutes as you want. They are for fitness and trying out new things - nothing more. Win or lose in friendlies is completely irrelevant to how competitive games will go.

Neither a good or a bad pre-season is an indication of anything in the actual season. Especially when they are against teams who aren't even in the league you will be competing in.

Oh I think a really lousy pre season can well be an indication of things to come.....

14 minutes ago, Coconut said:

It's not like we spent the majority of pre season missing 5 players who contributed 46 goals between them last season or anything. (34 from those who should return to the squad)

Judging how the season's going to go based on this preseason seems a bit, well, previous.

Ever heard the saying, 'common sense prevailed'? Well not round here, it didn't.

33 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Ever heard the saying, 'common sense prevailed'? Well not round here, it didn't.

What gets me is when people identify the issues we have within our squad, can see what we're missing (mainly speed, adventure, creativity) then complain that what they're watching on the pitch lacks speed, adventure & creativity, and then blame the manager's mentality for it even though he and his staff have themselves said that it's something they want to improve on.

I would say that though, I'm sold on what Cocu is trying to do. I don't automatically assume that what we're seeing on the pitch is what the manager wants us to be doing; in the circumstances we're facing and considering the squad we have available I strongly believe the opposite.

Others are within their rights to think differently, I just don't really understand it. I'm not looking to criticise people for their views, I just get increasingly frustrated by them, and they've started early this year! 

I almost miss having a new manager every season, people are less likely to have made their mind up!

Sibley & Knight are pointed out as shining beacons of our players who have that attacking, fearless mentality; surely if the manager's intent was to play sidewards, backwards, negative, slow football they wouldn't even be in the team, because they're clearly going against the manager's wishes and instructions...?

26 minutes ago, Coconut said:

What gets me is when people identify the issues we have within our squad, can see what we're missing (mainly speed, adventure, creativity) then complain that what they're watching on the pitch lacks speed, adventure & creativity, and then blame the manager's mentality for it even though he and his staff have themselves said that it's something they want to improve on.

I would say that though, I'm sold on what Cocu is trying to do. I don't automatically assume that what we're seeing on the pitch is what the manager wants us to be doing; in the circumstances we're facing and considering the squad we have available I strongly believe the opposite.

Others are within their rights to think differently, I just don't really understand it. I'm not looking to criticise people for their views, I just get increasingly frustrated by them, and they've started early this year! 

I almost miss having a new manager every season, people are less likely to have made their mind up!

Sibley & Knight are pointed out as shining beacons of our players who have that attacking, fearless mentality; surely if the manager's intent was to play sidewards, backwards, negative, slow football they wouldn't even be in the team, because they're clearly going against the manager's wishes and instructions...?

Great post @Coconut.

The humour and shared love of Derby County on this forum has helped me through some difficult times.

However, I am saddened by the fact that some cannot see what's in front of them. Our great club has suffered because of the way previous managers have blown available funds, the turnover of managers itself creating a mish mash of a squad.

We then bring in a manager, who knows what he's doing and will realise the potential of the academy that Mel has invested in. Yet, he's hamstrung by the financial situation, Covid etc. So is unable to supplement the promising youngsters with much needed quality established players.

Yet the reactions, the meltdowns, to losing a pre-season friendly against a top half Premier League team the other day, was astonishing.

I know we're all black and white ? but, really, it seems some only see things in black and white. No consideration of circumstances, no account of reasoning, no thought of what Cocu is trying to achieve.

It can get very depressing.

I keep the faith though. If we can get through this tough financial time, keep as many of the youngsters as possible and, crucially, keep Cocu then I do believe we will get promoted and established in the top flight.

COYR ?

Just now, IslandExile said:

Great post @Coconut.

The humour and shared love of Derby County on this forum has helped me through some difficult times.

However, I am saddened by the fact that some cannot see what's in front of them. Our great club has suffered because of the way previous managers have blown available funds, the turnover of managers itself creating a mish mash of a squad.

We then bring in a manager, who knows what he's doing and will realise the potential of the academy that Mel has invested in. Yet, he's hamstrung by the financial situation, Covid etc. So is unable to supplement the promising youngsters with much needed quality established players.

Yet the reactions, the meltdowns, to losing a pre-season friendly against a top half Premier League team the other day, was astonishing.

I know we're all black and white ? but, really, it seems some only see things in black and white. No consideration of circumstances, no account of reasoning, no thought of what Cocu is trying to achieve.

It can get very depressing.

I keep the faith though. If we can get through this tough financial time, keep as many of the youngsters as possible and, crucially, keep Cocu then I do believe we will get promoted and established in the top flight.

COYR ?

Spot on. 100% agree.

I dip into forums for weeks or months here and there having been on the old DET forum as same username.

Sometimes, just like i have done with my social media I simply dont bother to log on, look or interact.

I don't want, need, or expect fans to have the same opinions as me as that would be boring, however I find it fatigues me sometimes and it's not really worth it.

Love the forum, love the club, love our fans. The culture change from the manager has dropped down into the squad, however some of our fans dont quite get the message yet.

42 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Yeah, feel your pain. It's when fans won't give things a chance that I start to lose the plot. Players, coaches, the young'uns... We need to just chill and see how things pan out over the rest of the transfer window and equally the first dozen games or so. I naively thought the EFL malarkey being resolved might have rallied the troops a little but I got that wrong it seems. Folk just move onto the next thing though, don't they.

That said I understand that not everyone shares my relentlessly optimistic outlook and a spread of opinions makes for a better forum in any case. Hopefully we get a couple of cracking signings in before the window shuts and start well. I love it when the team is flying and there's a buzz around the club. It's what it's all about for me.

I don’t see why anyone should get wound up by people stating the obvious regarding the performance v sheff Utd. Maybe it depends on expectations.

I’ve stated that we are better placed than 12 months ago. I’ve said that I’m optimistic because of the emergence of the youngsters. And I’ve stated that I hope we spend little or nothing as spending demands future sales to meet ffp limits. But it is still valid to observe that the style of football is not necessarily helping. We had no shots on target. I don’t believe believe that sheff Utd are that much better than us.

The latest suggestion seems to be that that is not what cocu wants. That he is handicapped by circumstance and that he wants to bring in exciting attacking players. Maybe he does want new players but i suspect we would still play slow, safe, football. We’ll have to see what transpires.

It’s a quiet transfer market for championship clubs so far. everyone understands the financial realities. Ffp puts a stranglehold on championship clubs, and it’s tough to find players who can improve us, who we can afford, and who want to come.

Archived