Preseason 2020/21

RoyMac5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not really, we're missing a huge amount of senior players and we're against a good solid premier league side and trying a new formation. We'll be fine.

Valid points but I actually think most of the criticism about this match and preseason so far are pretty even handed and not on the scale of the massive rants you sometimes see. There does seem to be a weird polarisation thing that has crept on to forums lately where people are either massively overreacting to not a lot or people falling over themselves to be cringingly nice and not criticise anything. This thread tonight has been refreshingly different IMO. I’m sure normal service will resume on the Reading matchday thread 

Deary me! Lot of hand wringing going on. We're just out of a soft embargo and clearly need to liven up our attacking options but with key players missing we were never going to be tearing up trees today.

Let's see what the week brings in terms of new signings and let's also not forget that in terms of strengthening the side, the delay in doing so is as a result of the EFL's vindictive pursuit of the club and not any apathy on Cocu's or the club's part. I think it's also a good thing that 'random youth players' are getting some time in games to show what they are about. Seems to have worked well for us to date, at least.

Lets all panic and run round waving our arms , gnashing our teeth and wailing doom and gloom !! ......get a grip people ! .  We have some people injured and there will be more incoming. Dont forget the EFL badly delayed our transfer plans.

We will be okay , in Cocu I trust and so should you.

44 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Lovely left-footed screw pass by Marriott to tidy up and set us going. Marriott has got great feet and a great visio-spatial awareness. 

Thought marriott played well to be fair to him worked very hard and thought he held the ball up well 

4 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

How do you know who's available? Who's been carrying injuries and needs to heal? How are the rest of Championship sides doing in the same circumstances? Do you reckon all their fans are loving the way they're shaping up? Relax. It's weird times, but we've got a proper manager, a proper owner, and we'll be fine.

I’m talking about why players like Clarke and Te Weirik, who were both clearly available, haven’t been given time to build a partnership. Even 45 minutes together would have helped. I’m not panicking just yet, plenty of teams have poor pre seasons and go on to have good campaigns - and vice versa of course. It’s not a good metric to measure anything by. I’m not criticising the results or anything, I’m just a bit concerned we feel undercooked. 

As an aside, I remain to be convinced by Cocu. I still think he’s too defensive, but this season will give us a better indicator given he will hopefully have a stronger squad to work with.

To be fair our defence I’d say is completely sorted for this year unless we get a massive injury. Our midfield is brilliant. Our attack is just poor. We have the ability to blow teams away we’ve seen it. Just need some pace and we’ll actually create chances 

34 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Future generations of the Clarke family will still be feeling that in another 100 years.

I doubt whether there will be any future generations of the Clarke family after that. 

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m talking about why players like Clarke and Te Weirik, who were both clearly available, haven’t been given time to build a partnership. Even 45 minutes together would have helped. I’m not panicking just yet, plenty of teams have poor pre seasons and go on to have good campaigns - and vice versa of course. It’s not a good metric to measure anything by. I’m not criticising the results or anything, I’m just a bit concerned we feel undercooked. 

As an aside, I remain to be convinced by Cocu. I still think he’s too defensive, but this season will give us a better indicator given he will hopefully have a stronger squad to work with.

I imagine he is distraught at that news. 

I’m not bothered about the result but this was our last pre-season match so why are still making lots of substitutions. We should be developing partnerships like a settled defence and developing the Sibley/Marriott understanding. Many of the subs used are nowhere near ready for first team this season. 

1 minute ago, Chellaston Ram said:

I’m not bothered about the result but this was our last pre-season match so why are still making lots of substitutions. We should be developing partnerships like a settled defence and developing the Sibley/Marriott understanding. Many of the subs used are nowhere near ready for first team this season. 

I’d disagree I’d say it’s better for the youngsters to get more minutiae in the pre season so they’ll know the level and intensity when they’re enevitably called upon 

Still got over a month left of the transfer window, 5 at the back is something people have been asking to see for a long time and would seemingly suit our squad. 

We aren't the finished product by a long shot but we also aren't in the dire situation a lot of people would have you believe.

6 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

To be fair our defence I’d say is completely sorted for this year unless we get a massive injury. Our midfield is brilliant. Our attack is just poor. We have the ability to blow teams away we’ve seen it. Just need some pace and we’ll actually create chances 

Wouldn't say our midfield is brilliant, great depth but looks like an upper mid table midfield to me and not a brilliant one. I think we lack a bit of mobility and dynamism  Steven Gerrard style in that area and a number 10 with great vision and ball control. If Beilik gets to full fitness and finds some form we should be good enough there though. 

Archived