v Dirty Leeds (H) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

As it will be a purely discretionary gesture I would be inclined to apply the same level of sportsmanship to giving the Leeds players a guard of honour as Bielsa did with his spying tactics last season. And not do it. What's sauce for the goose and all that.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

For those youngsters who say they do not understand the rivalry, then why not spend lockdown learning about your club?

For those that say their supporters are no different to any others.... It's the whole of the club, including the supporters, that feel so 'entitled'. Hadn't they begun distributing playoff final tickets before the second leg last season?

All this about a guard of honour... Fair enough if one club gives it to another but it's as though Leeds are demanding it. Compare it to telling a child to say 'thanks'; there's little value if it doesn't come spontaneously from them.

And as for those that say you even like Leeds, there is no hope for you.

Respect for the way they play under Bielsa is different. You can appreciate the way a team play without liking the club.

But it's not Leeds, the club, or even the supporters that's bothering me the most....

It's the media. They are treating Leeds' promotion as the return of the prodigal son. I lost count of the number of separate articles on the BBC Football website and as for Sky....?

It's going to be a hard watch today, just because of that. I may have to turn the sound down if I'm able to watch it at all.

Sky on "Leeds bounce back"!

16 flipping years, including time in Division 3. 

There's more bounce in Aaron Mooys hair.

34 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

We need to take a higher level and give them the congratulations they deserve. 

don’t like Leeds never have but we should appreciate what they have done 

Have a look at the timeline and view the bile, a whole thread on Keogh, twit outside pp singing with a flag yesterday, undercurrent of threats to players. Absolute ballbags.  We were always going to get some grief which you take in the spirit of giving it out, but most of the stuff is appalling. The guard of honour thing seems to mean as much to them as going ducking up .  Don't give it them- we're not bound by legislation to do it. -shithouses.

As kick off approaches, the whole game seems to be surrounded by whether Derby will give Leeds a guard of honour. If it’s normal for championship clubs to give one, the do it, if it’s not, then don’t. It’s that simple. We shouldn’t be pressured by the media to give Leeds a little clap. Guards of honour really should be scrapped unless a team has done something truly incredible - win a treble and you get one on the first game of the new season perhaps? But John Terry getting one mid game when he retired really shows how little they mean  

We have questions about what team we are going to put out. Will Cocu give some of the other youth players a run out? Will he rest Rooney? Will this team selection give us any hints about the way the team will look next season?

Today is a game with nothing on the line. Leeds will have been on the tins and we have nothing to play for. Hopefully the team will want end their home season on a high and we can give them a good pummelling. 

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Leeds are dirty but they're good at it. 

Derby's dirty but we're bad at it. 

Respect to Bielsa and his methods for getting them out the league but I'll have far more respect if they can replicate what Wolves have done since returning to the prem. As far as I'm concerned they are likely to do the same and Villa/Norwich and come straight back down with a wimper.

This leeds r dirty makes me laugh, I actually wish they were!

Under bielsa they have played some fantastic possession football but not dirty.

I have an old school mate who is an arsenal fan & we talked years ago about how clubs have a 'personality'.

New manager, new players but still the same personality.

Over the decades leeds have been brilliant for years & then it's like a Derby fan presses a switch & they are garbage for years & years.

Well they are on the up so if I'm right they will compete in the prem & not just make up the numbers.

Villa destroyed the spirit of a promotion team by buying & buying way too many players.

Norwich for some reason did the opposite.

I'm hoping leeds buy 3 maybe 4 but no more.

More difficult than 30 years ago to say top 4 in first season but I hope they aim for that & maybe get top 6.

I work with a Derby fan who welcomed me back to work the day after may last year with him & a mate jumping up & down doing the binocular dance. Petty I'm still furloughed at the moment as it would be nice to any kind of dance on return ?

4 minutes ago, woody01530 said:

More difficult than 30 years ago to say top 4 in first season but I hope they aim for that & maybe get top 6.

?

Now i know i said i thought Leeds wouldn't struggle as some have suggested, but its a little early to start drinking dont you think?

Bielsa is a good manager, but there is no hope in hell you will be getting anywhere near top 4 next season. The gap between the Prem and the Chamionship is a lot bigger than the last time you were there.

6 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

No team should be obliged to provide a guard of honour to another in any division. Its pathetic. 

Teams turn up to play football not kiss each others arses. 

Spot on. But maybe I'm old fashioned, as i don't even like it when the players laugh and joke around with the other team after the final whistle, especially after a loss, to me they should be fired up and competitive, not jovial. Show they want it, don't be half arsed. 

11 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

No team should be obliged to provide a guard of honour to another in any division. Its pathetic. 

Teams turn up to play football not kiss each others arses. 

It would all seem a bit pointless anyway with no fans in the ground. However, if it's the tradition (I really don't know if it is) I'd say just be grown up, do it, then get on with the game. It's no big deal.

15 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Now i know i said i thought Leeds wouldn't struggle as some have suggested, but its a little early to start drinking dont you think?

Bielsa is a good manager, but there is no hope in hell you will be getting anywhere near top 4 next season. The gap between the Prem and the Chamionship is a lot bigger than the last time you were there.

To be fair just above your post I put..

"More difficult than 30 years ago to say top 4 in first season but I hope they aim for that & maybe get top 6."

42 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Sheffield Utd have shown it's definitely possible to go up and do well without buying many players.

I think the gap was much bigger when we last went up, the gulf was huge and it wasn't just cos we were so poor. Sunderland went up with us and were massively hyped, spent money and just about survived.

There is so much money if you go up now that with a few smart investments, a good manager and a well run club, you can do well.

I think Leeds will be comfortably mid-table and Brentford will survive if they go up. The others will come back down.

Archived