Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

With everything happening with COVID can we really now see fans back in stadiums next season? Match day tickets is a major source of revenue, the other is commercial revenue from sponsorship but also the corporate events, and commercial use of pride park from companies like my employer R-R. That’s all stopped. Then the TV money. Unlike the premier league it’s crap for the EFL.

We therefore can’t expect anything in the transfer market from Derby. It’s all about loans free transfers, Marriott getting fit and our youngsters improving.

More concerningly, how can clubs in any of the EFL leagues remain viable with no fans in grounds? The premier league can do it with their mega TV deal but no one else can.

This 100%. For those who want transfers in where is the money coming from? 

16 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

With everything happening with COVID can we really now see fans back in stadiums next season? Match day tickets is a major source of revenue, the other is commercial revenue from sponsorship but also the corporate events, and commercial use of pride park from companies like my employer R-R. That’s all stopped. Then the TV money. Unlike the premier league it’s crap for the EFL.

We therefore can’t expect anything in the transfer market from Derby. It’s all about loans free transfers, Marriott getting fit and our youngsters improving.

More concerningly, how can clubs in any of the EFL leagues remain viable with no fans in grounds? The premier league can do it with their mega TV deal but no one else can.

Almost all the clubs below PL same boat. Should make it a pretty level playing field. Prem dripping with Sky money, sickens me considering the young talent developed at lower league level, that PL clubs don’t support them, Leagues 1 and 2 in particular. We know grass roots football where it starts, lose the game at that level and the whole pyramid begins to crumble. Cherry picking best talent around Europe and the world for whatever price you name sees fantastic footballers playing in England but it can’t be sustainable. 

1 hour ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

This 100%. For those who want transfers in where is the money coming from? 

I think this is why Martin not renewing is all the more depressing.

Losing Martin for me is a big blow to next season, not being able to adequately replace him would be devastating to next season.

37 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Losing Martin for me is a big blow to next season, not being able to adequately replace him would be devastating to next season.

Mel placed 81 million in our coffers two years ago.  I suspect he decided that was his last big investment into the club and we have been reducing the wage bill ever since to get the best value from that investment.  Covid will be impacting this further but I still expect us to have a modest sum available for transfers.

I suspect there aren't any players who aren't for sale in League 1 or 2.  And there will be similar positions across the Championship, the SPL and across Europe.  There may not be a better time to get value for money.

5 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Mel placed 81 million in our coffers two years ago.  I suspect he decided that was his last big investment into the club and we have been reducing the wage bill ever since to get the best value from that investment.  Covid will be impacting this further but I still expect us to have a modest sum available for transfers.

I suspect there aren't any players who aren't for sale in League 1 or 2.  And there will be similar positions across the Championship, the SPL and across Europe.  There may not be a better time to get value for money.

Very good point actually.

It almost becomes a buyers market, so providing you arent so desperate to sell first, you could do some good business.

8 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Yes, but we already needed a/two centre halves, a right winger and a keeper. Now a striker...only so much cash to go round.

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, but we already needed a/two centre halves, a right winger and a keeper. Now a striker...only so much cash to go round.

Agreed , that's atleast 5 players needed , I thinks its highly unlikely that  we will sign 5 players let alone in the positions we think we need 

5 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Wonder if we might take a look at Lawrence Shankland at Dundee United over the next couple of weeks.  Prolific in the Scottish Championship (29 in 35 games), so should be interesting to see how he steps up as the SPL restarts.  He scored in all three cup games that Dundee played against SPL opposition so you'd think he could make it.

Anyway, 6'1" tall, pacy and prolific.  With Scottish football under severe financial pressure there could be a Vardyesque bargain to be had for someone?

Just shows how desperate we seem to have become and how low we have fallen. Last year i was suggesting certain players from the SPL and my comments were rubbished, <players in the SPL not good enough for the championship, maybe league One standard at best> and now here we are 12 months later suggesting SPL players, unreal.

19 minutes ago, dazzadcfc said:

Wouldnt be surprised if we move for Northampton Towns Captain, Charlie Goode ...  player of the year and 24 ...  Centre back    would be available for im guessing a fairly affordable price.

Prefer his brother Ebeneezer .  naughty, naughty very naughty but very much maligned and misunderstood. Sure Cocu could get the best out of him.  

No one has any money outside the big leagues.

Itll be the likes of Bournemouth and Norwich who will be signing players. The best we can do is free transfers and loans.

Expect the big clubs to snap up talent and then loan them back out.

Derbys turnover must have gone from circa 30 million to 8-10 million pro rata. No gate revenue, no commercial income on stadium, honestly the only income is sponsorship and TV revenue.

So unless there is either cash left in the kitty from the sale, or MM puts his hands in his pocket, we are the same as everyone else, fighting for scraps.

Any outside investment will also have gone dead as well right now.

1 hour ago, atherstoneram said:

Just shows how desperate we seem to have become and how low we have fallen. Last year i was suggesting certain players from the SPL and my comments were rubbished, <players in the SPL not good enough for the championship, maybe league One standard at best> and now here we are 12 months later suggesting SPL players, unreal.

Yes, agreed. Don’t think we have reached the stage that we need to be looking at the basement quite yet ?

34 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Prefer his brother Ebeneezer .  naughty, naughty very naughty but very much maligned and misunderstood. Sure Cocu could get the best out of him.  

Hope this gets the recognition it deserves. Made me chuckle an unseemly amount. 

3 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I’ve got a nice double wardrobe from IKEA you can have for £30.

Archived