Summer 2020 Transfer Suggestion Thread

oomarkwright

Crucial summer for the club and Cocu now he has his feet under the table and has got to understand the championship. 

I hope we get a couple of other pre-contract freebies like Te wierik. 

Also look at Toney as a big money purchase. 

Experienced premier goalie. 

Get rid of more deadwood and move Bogle on for £15m to Spurs. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really tough summer window to predict this one. On the one hand, potential FFP punishments still loom large which could threaten any prospects we have of bringing in any significant summer signings - but on the other hand potential investment could allow us to shop in an entirely different, higher quality market. This window really could go all sorts of directions.

Obviously our long term aim has to be to build a top 2 squad. But given the current financial situation, which could change of course, I think it’s a little ambitious to expect us to be able to rebuild the squad to that standard all in one window. I think a realistic aim has to be to improve the team enough to get us back up to top 6 quality next season and then work from there. I don’t think we’re too far off that standard at the moment tbf, a couple of high quality signings would make a big difference, so you’d think that’s an achievable target.

The signing of te Wierik has been a good start, at least that’s one player in to improve the main problem position at CB. Beyond him it’s quite difficult to predict what we might need at the moment. Players like Forsyth and Martin were playing today who are both out of contract, so they’ll obviously need replacing if they leave. You have to think another CB to partner Te Wierik will be the next top priority though. I’m also starting to come round to the idea of cashing in on Bogle and signing a new RB - I don’t like the sound of the attitude problems that Cocu seemed to be alluding to. Sounded like he’s got a bit “too big for his boots” so to speak and thinks he’s made it already so doesn’t need to listen to the coaching staff. I’d rather not have characters like that in the squad, if that is the case.

30 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m also starting to come round to the idea of cashing in on Bogle and signing a new RB

From what I've heard and seen from the academy Festy Ebosele has been mightily impressive at RB, perhaps we could just promote him if we sold Bogle?

25 minutes ago, Sean said:

From what I've heard and seen from the academy Festy Ebosele has been mightily impressive at RB, perhaps we could just promote him if we sold Bogle?

Perhaps, he’s definitely stood out whenever I’ve watched him - though he’s quite similar to Bogle in that he’s a converted winger so is a little defensively naive at times. Has real potential though from what I’ve seen, looks a top prospect. As with any young player though, it’s very difficult to tell whether they’re ready or not, so I wouldn’t like to make a call on whether he’d be an option for next season. Only the coaching staff will know, but he doesn’t seem to be close to the first team squad at the moment.

I’m thinking we won’t have much money to play with. I’d rather have a couple of quality additions. I don’t believe we’re that far off. I think we all mostly agree we need a winger, Gk, CH and forward? Some have mentioned midfield but if Rooney can do another year there I think we’re ok.

There might be solutions within the squad. Cocu has twice(?) played Bogle further forward...could he be converted into the winger we require? More crosses like the one against Crystal Palace? More runs like the one v Bristol City (without clattering into Waghorn!)? It’s an interesting option...

Re Centre half...I’m confused about the length of time Bielik is out for. If he’s only out or this season, then I would seriously consider him at CH with Te Wierik and use the money elsewhere (goalkeeper and forward). This is with the caveat that he’s coached to play this position and Te Wierik guides him with the aid of Wisdom on the right.

I wonder if we’ll repeat the Rooney tactic and continue our recent capture of ex England internationals and go for Joe Hart. He’s on a free in the summer. Yes, he’ll be after high wages but I’d hope with no transfer fee involved, we’d be able to do some kind of deal. 

I have no idea who our striker could be. 

19 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

like the look of Clarke-Harris the Bristol Rovers centre forward , pace and power

I remember him playing for Rotherham a few seasons ago and thought he looked a good prospect, but he seemed to disappear off the radar after a bad injury.

I think Bogle might go this summer, probably our highest valued player and Cocu's recent comments don't seem too positive about him. I don't think we'd really need to replace him either Wisdom has come back in and been brilliant in a couple of different positions. With Ebosele coming through in the youth ranks, those two could easily cover our RB slot.

Use the Bogle money (if we're allowed to) to bring in a top-quality GK and a CB to pair Te Wierik. I think Lowe is always better with a more defensive player on the right side, as is Bogle when we have Forsyth at LB rather than Lowe.

17 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I think Bogle might go this summer, probably our highest valued player and Cocu's recent comments don't seem too positive about him. I don't think we'd really need to replace him either Wisdom has come back in and been brilliant in a couple of different positions. With Ebosele coming through in the youth ranks, those two could easily cover our RB slot.

Use the Bogle money (if we're allowed to) to bring in a top-quality GK and a CB to pair Te Wierik. I think Lowe is always better with a more defensive player on the right side, as is Bogle when we have Forsyth at LB rather than Lowe.

Many posters agree we need to invest in a quality keeper but to be honest they appear to be few and far between. You can hardly watch a match these days without some calamitous error being made by the goalies - including a number of suggestions made on the forum in the January window.

5 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Many posters agree we need to invest in a quality keeper but to be honest they appear to be few and far between. You can hardly watch a match these days without some calamitous error being made by the goalies - including a number of suggestions made on the forum in the January window.

Yeah, Dawson at Wednesday looks terrible every time I see him.

The guy at Hull looks good though.

12 hours ago, biellaram said:

I’m thinking we won’t have much money to play with. I’d rather have a couple of quality additions. I don’t believe we’re that far off. I think we all mostly agree we need a winger, Gk, CH and forward? Some have mentioned midfield but if Rooney can do another year there I think we’re ok.

There might be solutions within the squad. Cocu has twice(?) played Bogle further forward...could he be converted into the winger we require? More crosses like the one against Crystal Palace? More runs like the one v Bristol City (without clattering into Waghorn!)? It’s an interesting option...

Re Centre half...I’m confused about the length of time Bielik is out for. If he’s only out or this season, then I would seriously consider him at CH with Te Wierik and use the money elsewhere (goalkeeper and forward). This is with the caveat that he’s coached to play this position and Te Wierik guides him with the aid of Wisdom on the right.

I wonder if we’ll repeat the Rooney tactic and continue our recent capture of ex England internationals and go for Joe Hart. He’s on a free in the summer. Yes, he’ll be after high wages but I’d hope with no transfer fee involved, we’d be able to do some kind of deal. 

I have no idea who our striker could be. 

More likely to get Joe Corrigan than Joe Hart.

Could try to lure Fraser Forster back.

Ivan Toney up top.

Archived