Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

6 hours ago, Lambchop said:

The Motorcycle Diaries.

Road trip through South America of a young Che Guevara. Entertaining as a road movie, and gives some insight into his developing sense of injustice. 7/10

Watched this years ago... loved it. Deserves better than 7...

Goosebumps 2. Not as good as the first...kinda ok ..kids liked it, but more contrived and less Jack Black and humour for the adults. 6.5/10

5 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Watched this years ago... loved it. Deserves better than 7...

Probably - I did really like it, but marked it down slightly for the overdone arty closeups of peasants faces, and the lack of real depth to the development of Che's character and relationships. 

• 3 weeks later...

I watched 'The Patriot ' on Sunday evening on the recommendation of a friend.

Possibly the worst film i have ever seen in my entire life.

The level of historical inaccuracy is incredible and the Anti-British theme went too far. Mel Gibson literally stabbed the horse of the evil British guy with an American flag ?‍♂️

I'm not really shocked about the historical inaccuracies though as Mel Gibson is involved. Braveheart & Apocolypto were both rife with inaccuracy. 

1/10 (i'd like to give it 0 but it had Heath Ledger in so that deserved something)

4 minutes ago, AshfieldRam said:

I watched 'The Patriot ' on Sunday evening on the recommendation of a friend.

Possibly the worst film i have ever seen in my entire life.

The level of historical inaccuracy is incredible and the Anti-British theme went too far. Mel Gibson literally stabbed the horse of the evil British guy with an American flag ?‍♂️

I'm not really shocked about the historical inaccuracies though as Mel Gibson is involved. Braveheart & Apocolypto were both rife with inaccuracy. 

1/10 (i'd like to give it 0 but it had Heath Ledger in so that deserved something)

I have to agree with the historical inaccuracy. Mel Gibson starred in Braveheart as William Wallace who was hung, drawn and Quartered in 1305. The Patriot was set in 1776 - 471 years later. So if he died in 1305 he couldn't possibly be in The Patriot. Total bullsh1t

On 30/10/2018 at 16:06, TomBustler1884 said:

Bohemian Rhapsody

I know a fair bit about the Queen story and didn't learn anything new. Outstanding performances from the four actors - Brian May and John Deacon actors were the spitting image. Also enjoyed the Mike Myers cameo and knowing lines.

Pretty frothy, top level stuff, doesn't go into much detail on anything. Odd point to end. But the Live Aid stuff is incredible.

Enjoyable.

Routine 2-1 win over Blackburn, but with a wonderstrike thrown in for one of our goals.

My last film as well. As you said, great performances all round.

The film was historically inaccurate throughout, especially where the music was concerned. First tour of America and songs sung on stage from 10 years later. but hey I love Queen so could over look that.

On 16/01/2016 at 07:49, Srg said:

Hateful Eight - 8/10

very long, but still just about managed to keep me going throughout. Some good chuckles, good gore and some great characters. Samuel L Jackson was very good. 

I am an early Tarantino Fan but thought his mojo was waning.

Last Xmas I rewatched Django unchained at it went from a 7.5 to a 9 for me.

This Xmas looking forward to watching Hateful 8 again, on my brand new set up ?

My Generation

My Cocaine narrates 1960's England's cultural revolution.

Very enjoyable but is more a summation of the feeling and mood than a complete, unabridged history of what happened, which given the time span is probably a wise move given it's only an hour and half long, but can't help but think it would have made a great five-parter.

Killer soundtrack (obviously), combined with the ubiquitous, but nonetheless enjoyable, montage footage of mods, hippies, longhairs, rockers, anti-war protestors, students etc fighting the police/one another.

Branko Strupar/1966andallthat

Edited by JoetheRam

I'm the first to admit I'm no film buff (So not even sure why I'm even looking at this thread!), and of the few "classics" I have seen, I've probably watched them 20+ years after everyone else raved about them!

We finally got around to watching Shawshank Redemption last year, which I did thoroughly enjoy (10/10)... and subsequently enjoyed even more, the stage version at The Derby Theatre (11/10!), with that fella from London's Burning absolutely stealing the show as "Red".

Earlier this year (one damp and miserable Sunday afternoon!) we got around to finally watching The Green Mile, which whilst I wouldn't describe as "enjoyable" in the true sense, I would agree that it was an excellent film (9/10).

A fortnight ago, I finally caught up on "Fo**est Gump", which was okay I guess, maybe a 7 or 8/10 for me.

But last weekend, was the turn of another highly rated classic, and from the few people I've conversed with on this subject, I get the feeling I'm a bit weird? Probably the reason I'm not a film buff?  Can't appreciate good filmography when I see it? I seem to be in a minority of one (actually two, as Muckerette wasn't overly impressed either)...

What is it about "Reservoir Dogs" that seems to float everybody else's boat?  I just didn't get it!  All I saw was violence for violence sake? I'm no prude, and can appreciate blood and gore if there's "a need", but this seemed to be the only feature of an otherwise pointless film!

What did I miss?  4/10... at best!

I am also not really a "film guy", but I do like Reservoir Dogs.

I think it's mostly the dialogue, which when you're 16-21 makes it a very quotable film. Add in a cool opening title sequence and a pretty original way of telling the story of a heist film and you're halfway there.

Also, when the guy gets his ear cut off is pretty shocking (more so at the time) and factor in that this was Tarantino's debut film which was made for peanuts and I think that's probably why critics rate it so highly - they love that kind of thing.

Personally, I think it shows it's low budget and lack of polish a bit, compared with other stuff Tarantino's done, but there's no denying how cool the chat is.