Are Derby players deferring wages?

Poynton ram

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If the club was to go the wall though, I guarantee that won't be getting an offer of 50 % of pay backdated from any official receiver . They'll chuck them a tenner and laugh in there face.

True.

Ideal scenario is that the players queue up outside Stephen Pearces office, one by one enter and be honest how much of their wages they could defer to ensure the club does not go under.

Because they wanted to and was not ordered to or shamed into.

They don’t discuss it with each other, no leaks to the press so no player is subjected to abuse which in turn sees a loss of form on the pitch for not giving enough for the club, calls for them to be released which hurts the club even more as their asset becomes worthless because football fans don’t think about this when they are hidden behind a username and armed with a keyboard.

I want to see players give there all on the pitch because they want to, they want to achieve things with this club and in the same way I would like to see players give their all financially because they want to see this club survive and not because they were abused into it or shamed by the government in live broadcasts to the nation.

Some players are giving back to the community, Max Lowe one and the next time he miss places a pass, should get behind him as he has done the community during this difficult time.

Thats my thoughts anyhow.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its up to each player as a man to make up their own mind what the personally feel they should do.

Ideally they  should come to a consensus and put this to management. 

We however were not privy to everyone individual personal circumstances and therefore that may not always be possible.

Anything anyone can do however 'little' in the grand scheme of things should, however not be deni-graded or decried when it is done with the right intentions,   

An act of unselfish support should be applauded not diminished due to its size or it supposed begrudging nature. 

27 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I am not up to date with what is actually being discussed - are the club asking the players for a wage cut or a wage deferral? 

Huge difference in my reality 

It has been reported that it is wage deferral. 

Under 23’s furloughed - sensible - none of them will be earning that much. We’re a loss making business.

First team - imagine your contract is ending June 30th - this could be your last three months of pay. I can get why they’re negotiating hard.

If I was Chris Martin my negotiation would stem around a contract extension.

11 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

I'd just like to point out that it looks like it's the players who are resisting the pay cut/derferral but on the advice of the PFA.

Them pesky Unions at it again.

How many people berating the players would be happy to go against what their union wanted them to do?. What are the repercussions if they do?.

Just a thought.

I can understand players on low earnings needing a union, but there a lot of professional players on over £500k a year. Speaking personally, if I earned anywhere near that sort of money I wouldn't need a union to hold my hand. 

No problem with clubs using the furlough scheme on U23s, the wages won’t be that big and we’re making a loss as a business so it’s fair enough. I see the mail are still peddling the whole Rooney story, despite his denial the other day... the whole article reads as a desperate attempt to badmouth us. Dunno what Mel has done to whoever this Mail journo is but it can’t have been good!?

I do feel there is a huge misunderstanding on this topic. These players, on the whole, are not fat cat bankers who know they will be able to bank six or seven figure annual sums for the next 30 years irrespective of their physical health or fitness. These are young men who if they are lucky might have one or two years of big earning followed by thirty years plus of minimum or no secure income. Largely they have forgone their education to make it in football. The people posting how they should give up their money are the same who are the first to ask for their head after a crap game or two. 

There is also a basic misunderstanding of what happens to the salaries of the players if they are not paid them. The tax man loses out hugely on revenue which is what we need to run the NHS etc and, whilst not the case at our club, the money stays with multi millionaire or billionaire owners who are not based in the UK.

In this truly testing time it is easy to look for someone to blame but I don’t think young men who have done nothing wrong should be the scape goat. 

The focus should be on the numerous governments who bailed out the banks and funded the bankers outlandish bonuses whilst systematically under funding the NHS. 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

No problem with clubs using the furlough scheme on U23s, the wages won’t be that big and we’re making a loss as a business so it’s fair enough. I see the mail are still peddling the whole Rooney story, despite his denial the other day... the whole article reads as a desperate attempt to badmouth us. Dunno what Mel has done to whoever this Mail journo is but it can’t have been good!?

Sorry, dont mean to just pick on your comment about the U23's, a few others have said the same. 

I would of preferred the 1st team squad and board to agree a 25% deferral and subsidise the furloughed staff instead. 

1 minute ago, CWC1983 said:

Sorry, dont mean to just pick on your comment about the U23's, a few others have said the same. 

I would of preferred the 1st team squad and board to agree a 25% deferral and subsidise the furloughed staff instead. 

I agree, but I think that’s a different issue? We’re topping up the wages of the U23s, but not the staff as far as I can tell. The latter is the issue with most I think, and yeah I think the 1st team squad need to help out so they get paid in full.

Players should be thankful. They could legitimately furloughed like a lot of other people. I don't hear many people calling out the unfairness of office management losing 20%, more for senior managers. 

I like @David's suggestion. Expand it to every club, let the PFA collate all the figures. Announce that the English leagues have committed £x millions per year. Put some into good causes, announce it as a total figure. Nobody shamed, football makes positive headlines, everybody wins and nobody is singled out. 

https://t.co/mTiweQ9VXm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/26/Derby-county-face-race-against-time-agree-wage-deferral-deal/

Derby County face race against time to agree wage deferral deal with players

Derby face losses of around £10m in just six weeks after season was suspended

By John Percy 26 April 2020 • 5:33pm

Derby County are facing a crucial 48 hours as they attempt to strike a wage deferral deal with their players, after it emerged the Championship club will lose up to £10

(I'm sure the losses will be more than a tenner but it means signing up for premium to find out...

Archived