Are Derby players deferring wages?

Poynton ram

I have seen several reports about players at various clubs agreeing to defer wages and lets be honest the top earners can easily afford to do it.

I am sure the top earners at Derby could do something similar and maybe some already have done so but don't want the publicity.

In a season when we have seen so much negative publicity about the club would be nice to read something good about how the club is supporting the local community, the NHS or perhaps other smaller clubs.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

I have seen several reports about players at various clubs agreeing to defer wages and lets be honest the top earners can easily afford to do it.

I am sure the top earners at Derby could do something similar and maybe some already have done so but don't want the publicity.

In a season when we have seen so much negative publicity about the club would be nice to read something good about how the club is supporting the local community, the NHS or perhaps other smaller clubs.

Richard Keogh was a visionary by deferring his wages indefinitely before the whole Corovirus outbreak even started here

There were reports last week I think suggesting there may be a temporary £5000 per week wage cap introduced in the championship while this is all ongoing. Perhaps players are waiting to see what happens with that, rather than making the move alone.

Agree it would be a nice thing to do mind. Bigger clubs could help financially support smaller clubs to keep them afloat, and players on big wages could donate a percentage of that towards charities dedicated to helping the fight against Coronavirus.

Players shouldn't have to defer wages. I wouldn't like to be asked if I was in that position; if they want to put some money towards charities then they can, but it shouldn't be a guilt trip. At the end of the day, players signed a fixed term contract with a value of wages that would be paid to them in any event - even death (I'm led to believe) so I have absolutely no problem taking their full wage. It's not their fault there is a pandemic. 

1 hour ago, YoxallRam said:

Genuine question(s)...

Is this not as bad as it appears? 
Is it the case that Mel himself could (easily?) afford to lend the club £30m, but EFL rules forbid it?
Is it different rules for loans from unattached/third parties?  
Is this a "clever move" by Mel, to circumnavigate the EFL rules, with regard to incoming monies?

I repeat... "genuine questions"!

On 29/03/2020 at 12:07, Poynton ram said:

If players are asked to defer wages I would imagine it is more to do with the cash flow position of their employer rather than to give this money away to someone else.

If teams further down the pyramid need financial help then the first bodies that should be offering assistance are the EFL and Premier League, not employees.

Likewise if the NHS needs financial help the first body that should be offering assistance is the Government.

Nobody has any clue how much of a players salary is already committed to their personal expenditure and therefore it should be their personal decision whether they wish to make donations, not an enforced decision.

16 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Genuine question(s)...

Is this not as bad as it appears? 
Is it the case that Mel himself could (easily?) afford to lend the club £30m, but EFL rules forbid it?
Is it different rules for loans from unattached/third parties?  
Is this a "clever move" by Mel, to circumnavigate the EFL rules, with regard to incoming monies?

I repeat... "genuine questions"!

EFL rules do not forbid anybody lending money to a club.

A loan is not income for FFP purposes.

On 29/03/2020 at 12:48, Millenniumram said:

There were reports last week I think suggesting there may be a temporary £5000 per week wage cap introduced in the championship while this is all ongoing. Perhaps players are waiting to see what happens with that, rather than making the move alone.

Agree it would be a nice thing to do mind. Bigger clubs could help financially support smaller clubs to keep them afloat, and players on big wages could donate a percentage of that towards charities dedicated to helping the fight against Coronavirus.

Crikey i do hope they can manage on £5000 a week

On 29/03/2020 at 12:52, Ambitious said:

Players shouldn't have to defer wages. I wouldn't like to be asked if I was in that position; if they want to put some money towards charities then they can, but it shouldn't be a guilt trip. At the end of the day, players signed a fixed term contract with a value of wages that would be paid to them in any event - even death (I'm led to believe) so I have absolutely no problem taking their full wage. It's not their fault there is a pandemic. 

Which could lead to 3 possible scenarios

a) low paid staff get laid off

b) the club go bankrupt

c) the club is in far worse financial position than other championship clubs whose players have cut or deferred wages.

On 29/03/2020 at 12:52, Ambitious said:

It's not my fault either, but some people don't get a say in whether their wages get cut or not and I'd dare say the majority would love to only get £5000 a week.

Didn’t the DET report we were close to agreeing a 15m euro fre for some lad from Turkey 

talk about polar opposite reporting 

one suggesting we’re on the brink of insolvency the other saying we’re about to spunk a small fortune on a young player ..

I guess neither are true and the truth is somewhere in between 

On 29/03/2020 at 12:07, Poynton ram said:

Easily afford to do it is quite a loose comment, some might. But at the end of the day the more you earn the more you spend. I used to know a premier league footballer getting 40k net per month but his mortgage payment was £25k per month car was a few grand a month and regular expenses left him with not much short of of his income per month. 
Put that into context you might have say Davies and Huddlestone on their last big contracts and they will need almost every penny as they’ll never earn that money for the rest of their lives.

13 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Put that into context you might have say Davies and Huddlestone on their last big contracts and they will need almost every penny as they’ll never earn that money for the rest of their lives.

I think the opposite tbh. If they have got to this stage of their careers and don't have a fair bit stashed away then they are either naive or have been poorly advised along the way. I'd be surprised if they couldn't retire tomorrow and still live a comfortable lifestyle for the rest of their days. 

On 31/03/2020 at 20:26, DCFC27 said:

Easily afford to do it is quite a loose comment, some might. But at the end of the day the more you earn the more you spend. I used to know a premier league footballer getting 40k net per month but his mortgage payment was £25k per month car was a few grand a month and regular expenses left him with not much short of of his income per month. 

It's a known scientific phenomenon familiar to us all that is defined by the rule "costs expand to consume salary available". However, even from that example above, he's still likely looking at thousands per month as disposable income. He's also likely to pay off a mortgage leaving him with an asset worth seven figures. His pension payments will be leaving him very comfortable from a very young age, and as Steve says he's bound to be stashing something away for a rainy day, if he has any sense at all. Which isn't in any way a given in the footballing world, granted.

He's not going to be destitute any time soon, unless he gets involved with betting and spunks the lot. Which also is a reasonably high probability for a footballer.

On 31/03/2020 at 20:26, DCFC27 said:

Even if they’ve only earned that for 2 years (it’s rare to see a contract given out for less than 2 years) that’s still 600k ploughed into property, that’s not an expense of 25k per month that’s an investment and bricks and mortar usually hold their own so I don’t feel any sort of sympathy for a footballer not having much change from 40k when they’re building up a property portfolio that’ll go through £1m ?

On 31/03/2020 at 14:59, ramboy63 said:

Crikey i do hope they can manage on £5000 a week

If figures presented in court are correct, then apparently not.

When Jayden Bogle was convicted of speeding in October of last year, his solicitor argued that 'He has a disposable income of £450 a week and has a weekly wage of £9,000.' https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/Derby-county-star-convicted-speeding-3459468

So £5000 a week will leave him £3550 a week short.

On 31/03/2020 at 19:05, NottsRam77 said:

Didn’t the DET report we were close to agreeing a 15m euro fre for some lad from Turkey 

talk about polar opposite reporting 

one suggesting we’re on the brink of insolvency the other saying we’re about to spunk a small fortune on a young player ..

I guess neither are true and the truth is somewhere in between 

No,they didn’t! Quite the opposite actually.

Archived