Matches suspended

atherstoneram

6 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

My approach which I think would annoy some but is the most fair is to end the season with current points totals and relegate and promote teams as things stand, so for the championship the top 3 go up. It would cause controversy but if games are carried over to next season it would duck up next season completely so although some teams could argue against it such as Bournemouth its tough crap for them as they were bad enough to be in that position and there is no guarantee they would get out of it regardless. Voiding the season is an awful idea and completely unfair on teams like Liverpool who have worked hard over the season to get where they want to be, playing them in the summer is again an appalling idea as the players need a break + pre -season and Europa league qualifiers start in July so I don't see a situation where 2 separate seasons are played at the same time.  I think taking the season as it stands makes the most sense and will be what happens if games can't be played in April or May as things get worse or don't improve.

You overlooked one problem..... everyone hates Leeds, will get vetoed for that reason alone.

Being serious, watched football focus earlier, they spoke of no premiership relegation but promoting the top 2 championship teams in addition, removes some controversy but still leaves others in play offs fuming, a point Dion Dublin made. Can’t see it being accepted for that reason, not without legal challenges.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

You overlooked one problem..... everyone hates Leeds, will get vetoed for that reason alone.

Being serious, watched football focus earlier, they spoke of no premiership relegation but promoting the top 2 championship teams in addition, removes some controversy but still leaves others in play offs fuming, a point Dion Dublin made. Can’t see it being accepted for that reason, not without legal challenges.

That Greek bloke who owns Forest might blow up EFL H.Q. It's an ill wind.....

Another point worth mentioning, for example a club like West Ham who are in the relegation battle in the Premier League, if they go into the summer, their stadium might be contracted out for other things, since they don't own it and it has other sports events/gigs, what would happen if they couldn't play their games at home? 

2 hours ago, Nishfan said:

If no matches are played again this season, perhaps roll over current points etc to the start of next season - so the status quo is maintained as such. Then play next season as normal & the season starts with everyone in the same position as when this season was halted.

sorry if this has already been suggested but missing the football already & feeling sorry for myself as unwell in bed (definitely not the unmentionable though)

Yep was going to suggest the same , any clubs with games in hand play them before start of next season and new season starts with everybody in the position they are now , seem the fairest way in an unsolvable position

18 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

My approach which I think would annoy some but is the most fair is to end the season with current points totals and relegate and promote teams as things stand, so for the championship the top 3 go up. It would cause controversy but if games are carried over to next season it would duck up next season completely so although some teams could argue against it such as Bournemouth its tough crap for them as they were bad enough to be in that position and there is no guarantee they would get out of it regardless. Voiding the season is an awful idea and completely unfair on teams like Liverpool who have worked hard over the season to get where they want to be, playing them in the summer is again an appalling idea as the players need a break + pre -season and Europa league qualifiers start in July so I don't see a situation where 2 separate seasons are played at the same time.  I think taking the season as it stands makes the most sense and will be what happens if games can't be played in April or May as things get worse or don't improve.

There is no way that is the most fair way to do it, as harsh as it sounds those clubs have not yet achieved those things, until something is a mathematical certainty all they have achieved so far is being in the position they are currently in, not titles, not European football, not promotions, not surviving relegations.

Unless there is something in the terms that the clubs signed up to that says positions can be considered final before the natural finish of the season then they'd be leaving themselves open to legal action from all angles.

Thinking about it logically, if you do that you'd be likely to receive legal action from all clubs that could mathematically (however unlikely):

Premier League -

1. Win the title
  2. Get into the Champions League
  3. Get into the Europa League
  4. Stay up (particularly Villa who have played one game less)

Championship, League One, League Two - 

1. Get automatically promoted
  2. Are in the (now non existent) play-off positions
  3. Get into the (now non existent) play-off positions
  4. Stay up

If you void the season and start afresh you won't receive the legal action from the clubs that could stay up as they effectively will have done, so you cut down a large amount of potential legal action straight away.

23 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Another point worth mentioning, for example a club like West Ham who are in the relegation battle in the Premier League, if they go into the summer, their stadium might be contracted out for other things, since they don't own it and it has other sports events/gigs, what would happen if they couldn't play their games at home? 

Good point, also any clubs that are supposed to be getting new pitches/pitch refreshes, or work done on the stadium, etc.

The only way you’re going to finish this season before the scheduled start for next season is behind closed doors with clubs strictly enforcing a social distancing policy between players and club staff (also in their private lives) intensive testing with reduced training schedules and skeleton staff. 

They potentially could restart domestically in early April if all criteria is met and there’s no outbreak within clubs. Obviously there are significant problems with this plan, it’s a lot of work and what happens if one club has an outbreak and the rest don’t?

As for European competition including the Euros in the summer then they won’t be happening. All countries are on different timelines for this virus so unless this virus suddenly stops in its track then you cannot bring European teams together even behind closed doors because the risk is too great!

I’m not advocating this plan, just thinking of a scenario where this season gets finished before the start of next

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Play at a different stadium?

5 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Can’t we use a big computer to predict the remaining matches and then where there are marginal calls effecting key positions have a playoff amongst those effected.

The big computer could not be expected to get it perfect, but probably could be reliable enough to pick the critical/marginal areas and then only those impacted have to play.

The remaining teams have friendly matches as and when.

Is this a joke ? 

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

Perhaps they could have built and paid for their own stadium instead of expecting to pick one up for free, courtesy of the British taxpayer. How Conservative party donor Karen Brady managed to get that deal I will never know.

6 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Hence the qualifying statement "could yet..."

Viruses can mutate. And we are already admitting we cannot prevent this variant.

6% fatality rate in italy...we are not used to dealing with death on a massive scale. 

No doubt Cobra are looking at "extreme" scenarios. And no doubt doing the sensible thing by not publishing details as I suspect there will be some uncomfortable messages in them.

Boris has, I think, performed very well so far in this. He could yet perhaps turn into the statesman we need.

Italy have a disproportionately large % of their population over the age of 65, higher than anyone else in Europe. Therefore with more vulnerable citizens, I'd expect their overall mortality rate to be higher. 

As to Government's performance, I have no idea why preventative measures werent brought in much sooner. We had the Health Secretary initially asking folk to self-isolate when reality is selfishness, need to work & boredom meant many wouldn't have. It's either serious or it's not. Flights werent restricted from incoming risk countries, no widespread testing, it's been a haphazard approach.

Regarding the actual football (!), problem is we've no idea when this will end so EFL & Premier League are going to waste a lot of time chatting about scenarios that never come to pass. I think the season does have to finish, if we get beyond June/July maybe some kind of playoff system for those competing for titles, promotion & relegation with goal handicaps based on points accrued before season was suspended. They may also use the timing of World Cup 2022 in Qatar to change the traditional timing of the domestic season (it was going to cause massive upheaval anyway being a winter World Cup)

13 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Some world championship badminton live from Birmingham on TV, good crowd it seems, how come this is not cancelled ?

Crowds of people haven't been banned, yet, and there's no close contact between badminton players.

Archived