Matches suspended

atherstoneram

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I'm all up for scrapping season and starting again, but we would be screwed squad wise, so many players out of contract, loss of revenue for this season, it would be very challenging.

Although I reckon our academy could help us out a bit.

Richrd Keogh could even help us out if he's fit before matches are played again. Always look on the bright side of life.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Promote the top two from each division, relegate the bottom two.

Play games in hand (eg Villa vs Arsenal) behind closed gates if they bottom/top two.
None of the 92 teams to drop out of the four divisions.

May seem draconian but desperate times call for desperate measures.

This, or something similar, seems preferable to deferring games ad infinitum/nauseum!

Anyone else got any bright ideas?

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If they proved that they followed government guidelines or even if it comes into law then they can't be legally challenged by clubs who potentially "missed out" as you put it.

How can someone sue over an outcome that no one could predict anyway if the season isn't played to a conclusion 

I never mentioned suing although I wouldn't be surprised if some tried it 1gibbo.jpg

It's more the fact that there will always be clubs/fans who will feel that they missed out on what could have been if the arrangements will had been made differently. 

No-win situation!

1 hour ago, Ramtastic ones said:

Ideal scenario.

Season declared null and void. Rams quietly accept FFP points penalty with no consequence. Slate is wiped clean for all clubs for previous seasons due to imposed hardship of c19. Leeds miss out on promotion, Forest on playoffs and Cocu's young guns, blooded in a season that never mattered, smash it next season! 

I like how you think young man ?

6 hours ago, Sparkle said:

When was the the last time football was cancelled? 1939/1940 - I suppose it early season (September) so it didn’t actually make a difference 

Strange you should mention that. I thought I'd have a look at what happened in the County Cricket championship in my 1940 Wisden. You can't really make any comparisons, because

a) The season had almost finished, very few games weren't completed.

b) In those days, counties played a different number of matches to each other, anything from 20 to 28, and the positions were decided on average points per game. By the time the season was called off, Yorkshire were so far ahead, they couldn't have been caught, even if all the matches had been played to finish, and were awarded the Championship.

c) Money wasn't such an overwhelming factor in thise days, many were moneyed amateurs

d) Cricket's a 'Gentleman's Game' anyway (Ha Ha)

As the vast majority of teams in the Prem and the Champioship have played an equal number of games, it's hardly likely that calculating average points per game would make any difference. I haven't looked at the Prem relegation situation so apologies if I'm wrong.

One amusing anecdote from the 1939 situation.

""At Northampton, on the second day of their match, Lancahire's captain, Lionel Lister, receiving a message from his Territorial Army unit, unbuckled his pads and departed." What a splendid fellow.

Promote the top two from each division, relegate the bottom two.

Play games in hand (eg Villa vs Arsenal) behind closed gates if they affect bottom/top two.
None of the 92 teams to drop out of the four divisions.

May seem draconian but desperate times call for desperate measures.

This, or something similar, seems preferable to deferring games ad infinitum/nauseum!

Anyone else got any bright ideas?

I have absolutely no good ideas of what to do in the current situation. It really is a dogs dinner and whatever the outcome I'm sure some will be (quite rightly) annoyed at falling on the wrong side of history. 

The financial implications are even more daunting to teams. Norwich could be awarded (effectively) 150million whilst Leeds miss out on it. No doubt would be hilarious to us, but imagine being in their position. 

On ourselves:

When are we due to hear back about our points deduction? If we're to get a 12 point deduction at this stage and the league calls it dead. We would stay up on goal difference. I'm sure that some would argue that would benefit us and it should be carried into next season, blah blah blah. 

What a mess. I don't envy the football league, they're going to piss a lot of teams off. 

1 hour ago, Poynton ram said:

If games are played behind closed doors do season ticket holders get a refund/reduction off next year's season ticket?

I wonder if the deadline for renewing season tickets will be put back - difficult for some fans to commit without knowing what's likely to happen.

37 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

I imagine there possibly could well be a clause in the rules stating that owing to circumstances outside of the control of the EFL league standings as at present will be used for promotion/relegation purposes if matches are not restarted this season.

Not sure the PL will necessarily agree with what the EFL decide to do

It is possible that both leagues have a joint ruling in place for such an eventuality, this would ensure the leagues commence on time or near next season. This doesn't just impact on next seasons domestic leagues at the start of next season you also have to factor in Champions League qualifiers etc.

As much as I'd love to see the reaction of Liverpool, Leeds and Forest fans if the season was abandoned, I think it's too far into the season for that to happen now. And I can't see them declaring the table final as it is now either - too many potential legal battles with teams relegated/ missing out on promotion.

If Euro 2020 is cancelled/ delayed, that might allow time to play the postponed fixtures. Otherwise, I think they'll finish the season in the autumn, followed by a shortened 2020/21 season - e.g. play every team once, split the league in half, then play every team in your half once more.

Archived