Matches suspended

atherstoneram

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's a nice idea, but I think we'll finish off the season when it's safe to do so. Given it will be months before we reach that stage, we'll probably have a 2 week mini pre-season before that. This will then be followed by a shortened pre-season. Each season will be condensed to reach a point where we're back to starting seasons in August.

how do they fit the World Cup into that?

27 minutes ago, Amberram said:

On a lighter note, it would be nice to watch football over the summer in a tee shirt

I agree. Just imagine if June is like it was in 2018. You could put your shorts and T-shirt on, sit in the beer garden before the game, watch the match and if the weather is still nice in the early evening, have a bbq and a few beers to celebrate closing the gap to 6th place to 2 points with 5 games to play

Football over the summer would be class, what a unfortunate but coincidentally great opportunity to change the football calendar, we could finish the season in November and start again in January/Feb. It would stop so many games getting cancelled during the seasons and improve the summer. Might even increase attendances as people won’t be out off by the winter weather. 

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

For me, in the EFL, I would end the season with promotion and relegation decided entirely by play-offs.

Take the promotion picture:

12 teams, three promotion places decided with one winner per bracket.

Teams initially play in a one off ‘semi final’ (including extra time and penalties) with the higher placed teams gaining home advantage and a favourable draw.

So Leeds being 1st would face the 12th placed team. In this case, us, for example.

Then the two winners in each bracket meet at Wembley.

As an example:

Bracket 1

Leeds v Derby

Preston v Bristol City

Bracket 2

West Brom v Swansea

Forest v Millwall

Bracket 3

Fulham v Blackburn

Brentford v Cardiff

For relegation, you have the same format but the losers of each semi-final tie have a relegation play-off at Wembley and the winner stays up.

To finish the season as normal in the Championship, it requires 113 games to be played.

With this, it requires 18 games including 6 showpiece games at Wembley, and the season can be decided on the pitch as it deserves to be.

Actually a really entertaining way to finish the season in two weeks! 

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

For relegation, you have the same format but the losers of each semi-final tie have a relegation play-off at Wembley and the winner stays up.

Just wrong on all levels!  Immoral.  Unethical.  Perverse, even!

I love it!  :-)

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

At least we had "Frank Lampard's Derby County", and to a lesser extent, but at least an equally legendary "Wayne Rooney's Derby County".

The caption to the photo in that link says "Patrick Bamford's Leeds United..."

?????

Bamfords Bamfords. Has quite a ring to it.

Archived