Coronavirus

1of4

5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'll listen to people like Dr Fauci who refuses to follow Trump's lead and call it by anything other than it's scientific name. As does the entire scientific community.

I have no clue about the UK, but I literally haven't heard anybody outside the Trump government call it the Chinese flu over here.

Every sign in every store, every TV advert, every sporting announcement and every person I have spoken with has called it either Covid-19 or coronavirus.

And just because you don't know German measles is Rubella even though it's the R in MMR doesn't mean everybody else is as ignorant.

Ask the population what the R stands for and I bet quite the percentage won't know. 

And stop being so presumptious. You've called me an idiot and ignorant now. You won't be right a third time. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Highgate said:

Highly unlikely.  Regrettably Covid-19 and coronavirus are words that are likely to live long in our collective memory.

Ours, yeah. The generation in 30 years time? 

I can't prove if I'm right or wrong. Just what I think will happen.

25 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'll listen to people like Dr Fauci who refuses to follow Trump's lead and call it by anything other than it's scientific name. As does the entire scientific community.

Yup cos its common practise amongst the general population to know the scientific names of diseases. I routinely correct people that say they have chickenpox by telling them its the varicella zoster virus.  Pffft, idiots.

I have no clue about the UK, but I literally haven't heard anybody outside the Trump government call it the Chinese flu over here.

Literally every major US TV station was calling it Wuhan or Chinese flu until Trump did, then it became racist and used as a stick to beat him with.  Check the video in the link.  The link also contains a number of diseases named after places;

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/13/17-diseases-named-after-places-or-people/

And just because you don't know German measles is Rubella even though it's the R in MMR doesn't mean everybody else is as ignorant.

Why do people else keep assuming others don't know things tonight? And be rude about it?  Just because it's scientifically called Rubella doesn't mean it isn't also known more commonly by the name German Measles to the wider public. 

18 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Highly unlikely.  Regrettably Covid-19 and coronavirus are words that are likely to live long in our collective memory.

Given its impact on all of our lives thats probably true.

Ironically until people started taking offence at calling it Chinese flu in every other post I'd previously made I'd called it either coronavirus or CV for short as thats what I'll remember it as - just like I call Rubella German Measles.  I don't get all the fallout over what its called especially whilst we're still in the midst of the pandemic, there are greater things to be concerned about.  We can fight over the PC nature of what to call it at a later date.  And in another thread.  *looks round nervously for mods*

25 minutes ago, Norman said:

Ours, yeah. The generation in 30 years time? 

I can't prove if I'm right or wrong. Just what I think will happen.

The next generation will surely be influenced by what we call it. Anyway as @maxjam said, this is all pretty academic right now.

In a flash of inspiration I was wondering, well... would we be bothered and care if an illness was named after us just because it was seemingly more associated with us and appeared to have originated on these shores ....and I reckoned a lot of people would think it fair enough and some even be proud of it...

Ridiculous though.. Who would ever name something 'the English disease'.... 

???

11 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Nope - me neither (in the UK). No one is calling it that. No media channels, and therefore no normal people.

What I have noticed though is that the grifters who have been getting rich the past few years over things like Brexit and stoking  the culture wars, have suddenly found their currency devalued by a global event that does not discriminate. It's difficult to divide people at a time like this.

So they are desperately digging at any cracks they can find. What can we say that will create a division we can trade on? Oh apparently there is a debate about whether calling it "chinese flu" is racist - bam - let's stoke that one. There are bound to be some useful idiots on both sides who will think that's an important thing to argue about. Pathetic

52 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Nope - me neither (in the UK). No one is calling it that. No media channels, and therefore no normal people.

What I have noticed though is that the grifters who have been getting rich the past few years over things like Brexit and stoking  the culture wars, have suddenly found their currency devalued by a global event that does not discriminate. It's difficult to divide people at a time like this.

So they are desperately digging at any cracks they can find. What can we say that will create a division we can trade on? Oh apparently there is a debate about whether calling it "chinese flu" is racist - bam - let's stoke that one. There are bound to be some useful idiots on both sides who will think that's an important thing to argue about. Pathetic

If there is a single lesson to take from this moving forward it’s the fact that we are a global race/ species and the real things that threaten our survival threaten us all no matter what ethnicity we are , there has to be a move towards global cooperation in making a safer fairer society for ALL 

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

For balance, Beijing is doing its level best to stoke anti-foreigner sentiment, so really both groups are as bad as each other. 

Archived