Coronavirus

1of4

12 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Fortunately still able to work, self employed so needs must. Not sure how much longer i will be able too as suppliers closing ect. However wife given me a list of jobs to keep me busy till Xmas so happy days.

Haha, I'm in the same boat as you.... Work from home, suppliers slowly drying up, Post Office possibly due to shutdown or offer a reduced service in the coming weeks - doing okay at the moment but its probably only a matter of time.  Meanwhile my list of jobs from from the wife 'to keep me busy' is steadily growing - I'm thinking it might be easier to just move house at this rate!

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

my wife who isnt normally a worrier has gone into panic mode today , the news from spain has sent her over the edge , how is it so bad in spain and italy with their lockdowns and will it get as bad over here

I suspect we might see a similar situation develop in London, where 30% of the uk cases are concentrated. The numbers will escalate for lots of reasons - population density, location of airports, failure to lockdown, busy public transport. 

in 13 days the number of confirmed cases in London has increased ten-fold. The problem will be to contain it in areas where the lockdown has been ineffective.

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

There are more than a few rumblings that china may be under stating the numbers 

The official death toll for Chernobyl was 31 (and still is all these years later) - independent estimates are somewhere between 4,000 and 90,000. Communist states do not have a great record of honesty in their dealings with other countries......

1 hour ago, philmycocu said:

Interesting article, slightly ironic that the Chinese seem to prefer freshly killed meat, however in most take-aways in the UK the meat is mostly inedible water-filled rubbery processed gunk ? 

Have you tried most takeaways in the UK? There are three very good ones within walking distance of where I live. 

5 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Typical I only ordered 1000 pces.  Gonna  have to order a 2000 pces now. Oh the pressure. 

Get a Trefl one from amazon. The pieces are smaller. I conquered a 6000 piece one of the Sistine Chapel ceiling, but I am that sad I did it just as a lark without needing the coronavirus...….?

41 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Have you tried most takeaways in the UK? There are three very good ones within walking distance of where I live. 

Alright pedant, most of the takeaways I have ever tried!!! Only once found one that used proper chicken breast chunks, in Derby, instead of that water pumped rubber chicken. (Evergreen Garden, Chester Green). Which is why I used that one all the time. Yes I've tried many over the years. Name your three good ones, I'll try them one day soon and check the chicken, maybe you don't have the same expectancy levels as me ? 

6 minutes ago, philmycocu said:

Alright pedant, most of the takeaways I have ever tried!!! Only once found one that used one Chinese takeaway in Derby that used proper chicken breast chunks instead of that water pumped rubber chicken. (Evergreen Garden, Chester Green). Which is why I used that one all the time. Yes I've tried many over the years. Name your three good ones, I'll try them one day soon and check the chicken, maybe you don't have the same expectancy levels as me ? 

I wasn’t being pedantic. I was correcting what I assumed to be your gross generalisation.

I doubt very much if you ever will but, if you insist, the three near me are Fortune Garden, Wong’s and Peninsula.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Two major weaknesses with your argument:

1) A Twitter feed

2) The Daily Mail

I don’t think either are particularly noted for their balanced, well researched reporting.

1 - I think the point, if you read it, is not that it is based on personal viewpoint but rather that it is a rather neutral disconstruction of the facts

2- Err, yeah, that's kinda my point

4 hours ago, Van Gritters said:

I haven’t read it but have the government ignored medical experts? Also the virus is new and no prior knowledge is known. The government have had to change strategies due to developing information. May be what was coming from China wasn’t happening in Italy so as more information is available things have to change. 
It is easy to say this was wrong that was wrong but you the virus was discovered in December decisions were having to be made in January February and I suspect all eventualities were discussed. The decisions changed as more information was known.

Then I suggest you have a read - almost all of the points you raise are covered within

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

In what way could they have done things differently that would have 'worked' - it's just more politicking by the newspaper and the tweeter.

One small example, the rest is in the thread so if you want to read you can see for yourself - if you don't want to then that's your choice, as you wish.

11th March, one month after China had managed to level out it's own curve through strong social distancing (and I appreciate this is China with a different definition of what 'strong' might mean) and the Government is still clearly espousing (vocally and on record) a strategy of 'herd immunity'. For those not quite clear, herd immunity effectively means we all get the virus and most of us survive so we can all crack on merrily.

Even at 99.9% survival rate that means 120,000 deaths, at 99% we are talking about 1.2m. Even Dominic Cumming's statement of 'a few pensioners dying to save the economy' is short of the mark here. Seriously, this is what they were proposing less than three weeks ago.

In the period since we have known (not presumed, known!) we are facing a position where we will face more casualties in our hospitals than even at the height of either World War. And we will need more support from the NHS than we have needed in our lifetime. Three months we have known this, not two weeks but three months. You did, I did, we all did. Even being super generous, we knew it from the point it hit Italy - so let's call it six weeks.

And yet tonight, in every hospital in the country front line staff will go to work without the necessary protection. We face not having enough ventilators to go around and we still have no testing in place to know what is upcoming. This is not a bit of after timing moaning that we didn't grit the roads before it snowed, this is a country that has drifted into a state of brutal under preparedness for what is coming.

But keep telling yourself BoJo is a good old chap if it makes you feel better, keep telling yourself it's the bloody Remainers who caused this delay, keep telling yourself it's the EU who won't let us have their ventilators. Someone on this board will lose a friend, a colleague, a loved one. And while it wasn't totally preventable we could have made it so much less by listening to the right people at that right time.

Well I think most people starting to listen now through I dont agree how doing this. But me and mum saw two men one of them admit that child was really ill we both well you should be inside. But they came near me and my little dog coughing all over the place. So I moved him out of the way. I die he caught as already killed a dog and cat. He is my best friend and he saved when I was at lowerest point in my life he helped me through it. If was not for him I might be in mental hospital in a stright jacket in a white coat.

Archived