Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Mutual respect between individuals is not the bridging of the cultural divide. Your own quoted passage, which is only the end of the first and last stanza, states clearly, 'under gods great judgment seat' ie when we meet our maker! The 'just two strong men standing face to face' is the preface to the rest of the ballad, the story of which I'm sure you know, whereby Kipling illustrates how as individuals, we can find mutual respect despite the cultural divide. Though not on this forum, obviously ?

Academics have actually argued this very point for a hundred years now so whilst I'm may be being mean, I'm withholding your smart arse badge until such time as you point me at a thesis that changes my opinion. Needless to say though, Bob The Fudger won't be getting a badge whatever he comes up with ?

If academics have argued the point over a 100 years then I must be on one side of the argument which me means I can claim my badge. ! Personaly I sort of want to believe there are two things going on in the poem .. first that we are all equal under god (if you believe) and secondly, it doesn't matter where you come from; If you are a player, there's a pitch and ball it who gives a toss who your mum and dad were, if you meet, you'll have a kick about.   Two strong men are two strong men - under god or not. And does the judgement of god happen occasionally when we are alive, as in Karma ? or does it only apply when we croak and appear at the pearly gates I wonder ?

Anyway We can't settle this argument as they didn't have VAR for poets or God back then  ( which reminds me, going off at a complete tangent , The man who designed nets was called Brodie but what was the name of the bloke who first hit the back of the net, I found it somewhere once but cant remember.   ? )

You'll gather from the above that I am a bit bored. …..Bit low on eggs too .. so sent Niece for her exercise today as she has spent 2 days in front of a video game - Walk via corner shop I say. "Did you get any eggs ? "no they ran out, so I bought some kit kats instead. … ack the youth of today 

14 minutes ago, jono said:

If academics have argued the point over a 100 years then I must be on one side of the argument which me means I can claim my badge. ! Personaly I sort of want to believe there are two things going on in the poem .. first that we are all equal under god (if you believe) and secondly, it doesn't matter where you come from; If you are a player, there's a pitch and ball it who gives a toss who your mum and dad were, if you meet, you'll have a kick about.   Two strong men are two strong men - under god or not. And does the judgement of god happen occasionally when we are alive, as in Karma ? or does it only apply when we croak and appear at the pearly gates I wonder ?

Anyway We can't settle this argument as they didn't have VAR for poets or God back then  ( which reminds me, going off at a complete tangent , The man who designed nets was called Brodie but what was the name of the bloke who first hit the back of the net, I found it somewhere once but cant remember.   ? )

You'll gather from the above that I am a bit bored. …..Bit low on eggs too .. so sent Niece for her exercise today as she has spent 2 days in front of a video game - Walk via corner shop I say. "Did you get any eggs ? "no they ran out, so I bought some kit kats instead. … ack the youth of today 

This cheered me up no end! And by the way, your niece saw you coming a mile off! ? And I agree by the way. Kipling was laughably accused of racism based on the opening line by supposedly learned men. My interpretation on the back of a fag packet is broadly akin to your, there's east and west but ultimately we're all the same and especially so in the eye's of our maker, if you believe in sky fairies and the like.

Anyway, another day, another hanging basket... Such is social distancing.

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Academics have actually argued this very point for a hundred years now 

Yeh, and you're clearly not one of them.

You're a guy who posted half a quote.

Then got called out on it being out of context.

And then, rather than being man enough to admit you screwed up, went looking for literally anything to bail you out.

derbyshire 225 

The measures do seem to be slowing down the spread here 

But London 6521 - three times as many cases per capita.

7 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yeh, and you're clearly not one of them.

You're a guy who posted half a quote.

Then got called out on it being out of context.

And then, rather than being man enough to admit you screwed up, went looking for literally anything to bail you out.

Wow, you've got your moobs in a twist eh Bob. How have I screwed up? It was half a stanza anyway mate but feel free to prove otherwise. I'll wait ?

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Can’t disagree but, I would imagine, give it a year or two, and not much will have changed. It’s not the first there has been a global crisis and it won’t be the last. Sad but I suspect true.

Your probably right but this is beyond anything in memory that has exposed our fragility as a species, it’s the stuff of science fiction films

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

What are you on about? The vast, vast majority of the population is calling it ‘coronavirus’. Why the duck would it be remembered as ‘the Chinese flu’, when very few people are calling it that?

Are you trolling? I honestly can’t think of any other reason as to why you’re so determined to assert that everyone will be calling it the Chinese flu in 20 years’ time. Your posts on this topic are utterly bizarre.

Think a lot will hinge on whether once this is over there begins a witch-hunt/blame game which may put a different tag on it

People are driving my nuts.  i ventured outside briefly to bring the local ravens something to eat.  My fault for taking the elevator.  On ground floor two people were waiting by the door as it opened.  i signaled them to back away so i could exit but only one of them did, the other just gaping at me fish-eyed, even as i repeated the gesture.  Held my breath and squinted my eyes as i slipped past her.  Stairs from now on, it will do me good too.

Sith Happens
47 minutes ago, RamNut said:

derbyshire 225 

The measures do seem to be slowing down the spread here 

But London 6521 - three times as many cases per capita.

5 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Seen various NHS workers posting that admissions are coming down. ?

Can't use the words positive while people are dying but maybe it is a step in the right direction. It is too early to tell of course but we can but hope.

22 minutes ago, ramit said:

People are driving my nuts.  i ventured outside briefly to bring the local ravens something to eat.  My fault for taking the elevator.  On ground floor two people were waiting by the door as it opened.  i signaled them to back away so i could exit but only one of them did, the other just gaping at me fish-eyed, even as i repeated the gesture.  Held my breath and squinted my eyes as i slipped past her.  Stairs from now on, it will do me good too.

Playing devils advocate, is feeding the local ravens an essential outing?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Playing devils advocate, is feeding the local ravens an essential outing?

No not really, i am just a sucker for their pathetic cawing when hoping for something from their wingless benefactor.  Spring is just around the corner, so last feeding day was today.  Shouldn't have done it, you are right.

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Wow, you've got your moobs in a twist eh Bob. How have I screwed up? It was half a stanza anyway mate but feel free to prove otherwise. I'll wait ?

Your wait is over.

You found a quote that suited your needs.

Even though you didn't understand what the author meant, you posted  it anyway.

Then when people pointed out that the author didn't mean what you thought he meant, rather than being humble and saying, 'ok fair enough, that's a good point' you doubled down.

Gutless.

Is anyone else turning into a massive alcoholic during all this? I'm really enjoying my local corner shop's new delivery service but it's becoming so frequent that I'm alternating deliveries between my home and workshop just so the neighbours don't clock on to the sheer volume of alcohol being processed within my house. I'm ordering a loaf of bread with every box of beer so it looks like I'm doing a bit of grocery shopping too. I've got loads of bread if anyone needs a few loaves?

Archived