Coronavirus

1of4

7 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

We'll have to keep buying their facemasks because we've done away with our own textile industry.

I know, it was so shortsighted in the 60/70’s to close all those Lancashire Mills that were pumping out N95 masks. Although that said the Protect & Survive adverts around that time were suggesting in the case of nuclear war to shelter under the kitchen table covered with a big cloth. I understand that there remain 100s and 100s of warehouses up in Blackburn still stocked to the rafters with bed sheets.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else disappointed this is how humanity is ending?

I wanted to go out on my feet, whacking zombies or aliens before being chopped down heroically.

Not hoping Geoff next door doesn't cough at the wrong time, or dying from an unclean hard surface.

8 minutes ago, Norman said:

Don't pull anyone up on spelling or grammar. 

A doctor, in the video I posted, tried to get the word out well before the Chinese Communist Party told the world. That's my point. A very simple one very much related to what you put. 

If you'd actually bothered to read what I've written you'd realise it has zero relevance. What I've said is not that there was no delay, rather that it would not have been IMMEDIATELY obvious that this flu was going to develop into a pandemic. The two things are not remotely the same, so great point, now all you've got to do is find a post that says otherwise and you can get the full 30 minute argument you're so desperate for.

And I said 'syntax and grammar' so my point still stands as you well know after your little rant yesterday over your pet hates and the use of the word, 'notwithstanding'. Weird AF.

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

If you'd actually bothered to read what I've written you'd realise it has zero relevance. What I've said is not that there was no delay, rather that it would not have been IMMEDIATELY obvious that this flu was going to develop into a pandemic. The two things are not remotely the same, so great point, now all you've got to do is find a post that says otherwise and you can get the full 30 minute argument you're so desperate for.

And I said 'syntax and grammar' so my point still stands as you well know after your little rant yesterday over your pet hates and the use of the word, 'notwithstanding'. Weird AF.

I haven't ranted, have I? Most of my posts are really short. 

The doctor saw how obvious it was and got shut down. He died trying to save people from a virus he knew the rest of the world and his own government needed to take far more seriously. 

1 minute ago, Norman said:

I haven't ranted, have I? Most of my posts are really short. 

The doctor saw how obvious it was and got shut down. He died trying to save people from a virus he knew the rest of the world and his own government needed to take far more seriously. 

And I've said otherwise where? Drop me out anyway. Tedious AF for everyone else. 

25 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I know, it was so shortsighted in the 60/70’s to close all those Lancashire Mills that were pumping out N95 masks. Although that said the Protect & Survive adverts around that time were suggesting in the case of nuclear war to shelter under the kitchen table covered with a big cloth. I understand that there remain 100s and 100s of warehouses up in Blackburn still stocked to the rafters with bed sheets.

Tell that to the healthcare staff who are going down ill due to not having the proper protective equipment.

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

Okay I'm walking into a trap here with some people on this forum but google it, everyone was calling it Wuhan Flu or Chinese Flu until Trump called it that, then apparently it became racist cos Orange Man bad.  No one has ever balked at Spanish flu or Germain measles, its just being overly sensitive or PC to cry foul at Chinese flu.

Its also funny how its only ever racist when lefties tell us so;

Reporter: "Why do you have to say 'Chinese Flu"?

Trump: "For the same reason you say 'Russian Bots'".

*pretty sure the above is a meme but shows the double standards well.

The place Covid-19 started is utterly irrelevant.

The place Russian bots are, or who they are employed by, is highly relevant.

Nobody trapped you into saying something so stupid.

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

Where did Covid-19 start, Dad? 

That doesn't matter. We don't have a cure because we shouldn't look into where it came from. 

6 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Tell that to the healthcare staff who are going down ill due to not having the proper protective equipment.

My daughter and sister are frontline NHS workers, and my son-in-law is a GP. Believe me, I pay a great deal of attention to the support our healthcare staff are receiving.

5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

You are an American bot and i claim my 5 bucks

9 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Been through all this tonight already and the posts got deleted for talking politics in the Chinese flu thread so I'm not starting again ?  

Its not the first disease to be named after a place and won't be the last regardless of how stupid people think that is.

13 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Been through all this tonight already and the posts got deleted for talking politics in the Chinese flu thread so I'm not starting again ?  

Its not the first disease to be named after a place and won't be the last regardless of how stupid people think that is.

I don't think the virus is particularly interested in where it comes from.

2 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I don't think the virus is particularly interested in where it comes from.

It really doesn't matter. 

Nobody remembers the technical names for German measles or Spanish flu. 

Noone will remember Covid-19. 

It will be Chinese Flu. 

1 minute ago, Norman said:

It will be Chinese Flu. 

Really? I think itll be remembered as coronavirus or covid-19... No one in the press or government is calling it Chinese flu. 

19 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I'll listen to people like Dr Fauci who refuses to follow Trump's lead and call it by anything other than it's scientific name. As does the entire scientific community.

2 minutes ago, Norman said:

It will be Chinese Flu. 

I have no clue about the UK, but I literally haven't heard anybody outside the Trump government call it the Chinese flu over here.

Every sign in every store, every TV advert, every sporting announcement and every person I have spoken with has called it either Covid-19 or coronavirus.

And just because you don't know German measles is Rubella even though it's the R in MMR doesn't mean everybody else is as ignorant.

16 minutes ago, Norman said:

It will be Chinese Flu. 

Highly unlikely.  Regrettably Covid-19 and coronavirus are words that are likely to live long in our collective memory.

Archived