Max Lowe Racial Stereotyping

DarkFruitsRam7

Just now, rynny said:

Thought he was? Was he made to retire then? 

No, as far as I am aware he didn't retire until a couple of years after the twin towers comment, and even since then has guest commentated on a few occasions.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I’d ask you, would you be comfortable growing up as an Asian or black young male in this country? 

Agree with a lot of what you have said but on this question? 

Yes to being black. Being Asian can be much tougher. 

The culture clash with Asian communities can cause so much fear and confusion. 

I'm not saying being black comes without issues. I mean being fat or gay or spotty or skinny etc comes with issues. Of course there are black people that will suffer racism. There's discrimination all the time. 

But I wouldn't meet a black girl and have a mixed race kid and worry about their race being a problem any more than their weight, gender, sexuality, appearance. 

But I think being Asian is a lot more difficult. Especially if they haven't embraced themselves in what we would call our culture. 

Just now, Alpha said:

Agree with a lot of what you have said but on this question? 

Yes to being black. Being Asian can be much tougher. 

The culture clash with Asian communities can cause so much fear and confusion. 

I'm not saying being black comes without issues. I mean being fat or gay or spotty or skinny etc comes with issues. Of course there are black people that will suffer racism. There's discrimination all the time. 

But I wouldn't meet a black girl and have a mixed race kid and worry about their race being a problem any more than their weight, gender, sexuality, appearance. 

But I think being Asian is a lot more difficult. Especially if they haven't embraced themselves in what we would call our culture. 

I think it's very hard to say that without actually having experienced it.

I sometimes think that if I got into a relationship with a girl of any ethnic minority, I'd feel obliged to tell my grandparents, and perhaps even my parents, of their ethnicity beforehand. I think that's very regrettable and demonstrates that there is still a long way to go.

6 hours ago, GeneralRam said:

Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between African American children and European American children.

did I fail?

5 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

My data?

Do you mean the data of the worlds leading academics who study the field?

If so, take it up with them as I'm sure you can advise them of their shortcomings and they'll be suitably grateful. 

Sticking my nose in, I think @GeneralRam was quoting his "result" of the test, so they are telling him "Your data suggests..."

I don't think he was referring to "you" personally, @Bob The Badger.

...I could be wrong... it wouldn't be the first time!  ?

Just now, Hector74 said:

Mybe the same people wanting ramage sack are the same people cheering tom Lawrence goal after  serious injuring someone in a drunken car crash earlier in the year and getting a week suspension from the club ? Yes everyone has made mistakes 

Ah good old whataboutism is back!

I don’t think Ramage is a racist. It was a poor choice of words, Ramage talks before he thinks and has done on numerous occasions.

What was worse for me was his criticism of all the young players after the match. He seemed to have a problem with Mel Morris’ strategy of blooding the academy. Bizarre seeing as though he himself came through. His criticism of Bird was farcical after the game. There was no need and it went way over the top. For that reason I’m glad he’s gone. He started to believe his own hype and his negativity was taking over. Lampard alluded to it last year too. 

15 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think it's very hard to say that without actually having experienced it.

I sometimes think that if I got into a relationship with a girl of any ethnic minority, I'd feel obliged to tell my grandparents, and perhaps even my parents, of their ethnicity beforehand. I think that's very regrettable and demonstrates that there is still a long way to go.

From your previous posts I think they would just be very glad regardless of gender, race, size.. that you had hung up your jockstrap and settled down.??

18 minutes ago, Srg said:

Ah good old whataboutism is back!

Is it a coincidence that those spouting whataboutisms are those with 70's players in their usernames, like those of an older generation, who's Rams idols are from that era, are more supportive of Mr Ramage's views?  Perhaps the same types that had an issue with Tom Ince because "he doesn't smile a lot"... #justsayin

3 minutes ago, desirelines said:

I'm enjoying some of the mental gymnastics being performed (mainly on Twitter) by some of the fans defending him. "If it was the other way round, it wouldn't be an issue" ?‍♂️ 

Same folk as you hear in the pub stating "I'm not racist, but..."

7 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Is it a coincidence that those spouting whataboutisms are those with 70's players in their usernames, like those of an older generation, who's Rams idols are from that era, are more supportive of Mr Ramage's views? 

Yes it's a coincidence. Edit: Have you heard of 'ageism'?There's a difference between 'whataboutisms' and trying to see what it is that made Ramage come out with the words he did. Making out that some people are 'other' will not help reconcile differences, nor understanding of the same and certainly not acceptance and/or celebration.

6 minutes ago, desirelines said:

I'm enjoying some of the mental gymnastics being performed (mainly on Twitter) by some of the fans defending him. "If it was the other way round, it wouldn't be an issue" ?‍♂️ 

I quite like noticing some of the more vociferous defenders are those on twitter attacking those condemning the comments.

15 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Is it a coincidence that those spouting whataboutisms are those with 70's players in their usernames, like those of an older generation, who's Rams idols are from that era, are more supportive of Mr Ramage's views?  Perhaps the same types that had an issue with Tom Ince because "he doesn't smile a lot"... #justsayin

Tom ince was a great player for Derby. 

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I didn't listen to the entirety of the post match rant by Ramage & Co, but I must admit I was a little taken back by Lowe's instagram post. I thought that there must've been a misinterpretation between what Lowe posted and what Ramage said, because I know that Ramage was criticised on his comments regarding YOUNG players, not necessarily young black players. Bird seemed to take as much as a kicking as the rest of them. I want to believe in my heart-of-hearts that us what he meant, perhaps the audio where he states 'young black' players was a freudian slip, I don't know and i wouldn't want to comment on his core beliefs. I would be surprised if he was genuinely racist in any way though. I don't know him, but that would be my take on it. 

It's ultimately cost him his role with BBC Radio Derby, but I think deep down that when Derby players voiced their opinion that he was never coming back after that. It's unneeded tension around the club. I won't vilify him and I'm certainly not going to rejoice in him losing his job. It just is the right decision for all parties involved. 

What makes it worse was him saying all the young black footballers. I could excuse him somewhat if he excluded "all", but that still wouldn't have been right. Saying what he did, it wasn't just Bogle and Lowe he was referring to.

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why, what is the rush for a response?

Simply because a storm had been brewing all day and certain accusations had been levelled at Radio Derby. The longer it went on, the more damaging it was for them. They were quick enough to edit and re-issue the podcast. However, as I say, eventually they did issue the correct (IMO) response.

Archived