Max Lowe Racial Stereotyping

DarkFruitsRam7

30 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

What has how much someone earns got to do with whether he is entitled to a second chance or not or indeed what has how much he earns have anything to do at all with this 

You've made it patently obvious that you don't think he should be given a second chance so no point in furthering this 

if a fan shouted out an insult using black he would be arrested and punished so why should a so called commenator get a second chance?

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was wrong to say what he did, I think that the vast majority of us see players as players irrespective of their colour, race or nationality. 

I have a season ticket for the east stand and have never heard any discriminatory talk , although we have a few that think they the best coaches and pundits in the world. 

given that it doesn’t appear to be an issue with fans, I am gobsmacked and disappointed with Ramages comments and although they were no doubt said without thinking of the consequences show a lack of understanding of issues relating to race, colour etc. 

max was right to speak out 

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

All quite sad.

It definitely is.

I mean I don't think any harm is done because it's been dealt with and the players have had so much support. 

Ramage has been punished and I don't think what he did deserves a lifetime of hate. I don't like the bloke but people sometimes become the internet trolls they hate. 

With what just happened with Caroline Flack people would do well to remember what character assassination can do.

Ramage has never known when to shut up. Their radio show has been toxic for a long time and it was only a matter of time before the club tackle it. It often comes across as two miserable Forest gits firing shots at every opportunity. 

But now the hammer has come down I hope it gets left alone. I think the motormouth has got what he deserved. But let that be an end to it

He's not got a pointy white hat on. He's not killed someone. He talks faster than he thinks. 

I like to see people get what they deserve and he's had it imo. Kicking folk harder than needs be is not cool

As much as I detest listening to his groan I would hate to think he's anything more than red faced and jobless for a bit. 

I imagine he will feel like his world has caved in. Good! But like anybody he doesn't need trolls burying him deeper.

1 minute ago, TommyPowell said:

if a fan shouted out an insult using black he would be arrested and punished so why should a so called commenator get a second chance?

Was that meant as a rhetorical question I genuinely don't know so not sure if you're expecting an answer or not.

7 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I agree, the first thing I would have done is contact the lads myself and apologise fully for my stupidity and unintentional racism (lets assume he is not an actual racist).

They must know him and met him in and around the club so a genuine grovelling apology directly to them would have taken the sting out of it you would of thought.

Maybe he could have cleaned the lads boots till the end of the season?

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

You obviously feel he's been hard done - care to say why? 

That's not rhetorical btw ?

I'm totally ambivalent quite honestly - I live in Nottingham so never listen to his broadcasts or the phone ins, I only remember watching him as a player so that's the only point of reference I have, other posters have the advantage on me in the respect of listening to him on Radio Derby.

Were the comments he made deliberately motivated or were they unfortunate and said in haste without any foresight into their import once uttered. I can't be genuinely sure and there's only one person who does know this, not anyone on here. 

37 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Hes being racist and he will be punished for that.

I'll ask you the same question, if he had referred to the players he was questioning by name and they were all black what do you think the reaction would have been?

Cocu referred to Bogle by name and was very critical of him - no one is suggesting he is racist.

My personal thoughts on Ramage is that he is not the brightest and lacked the eloquence to identify Lowe and Bogle in any other way.

I also can’t think for the life of me why he would choose such a phrase to identify them both, nor why he felt the need to add Max Lowe, when no one else was criticising him.

Max Lowe may be a black footballer, but there is no reason for that to be used to describe him.  He is a footballer - there’s nothing else that needs to be added.

It’s just not acceptable to use someone’s ethnicity in sweeping statements about their attitude or actions, as it acts as a justification or catalyst for those who err to such beliefs.

8 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

Cocu referred to Bogle by name and was very critical of him - no one is suggesting he is racist.

My personal thoughts on Ramage is that he is not the brightest and lacked the eloquence to identify Lowe and Bogle in any other way.

I also can’t think for the life of me why he would choose such a phrase to identify them both, nor why he felt the need to add Max Lowe, when no one else was criticising him.

Max Lowe may be a black footballer, but there is no reason for that to be used to describe him.  He is a footballer - there’s nothing else that needs to be added.

It’s just not acceptable to use someone’s ethnicity in sweeping statements about their attitude or actions, as it acts as a justification or catalyst for those who err to such beliefs.

Yeah he was always going to slip up somewhere down the line and the bbc should have identified this a while back. Interesting that neither coles nor Dawes challenged him when he said this? I don’t listen to Rd anymore but I wonder if the rd switchboard was jammed with listeners complaining about rammage’s outburst?

14 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

Yeah I tried to think of a genuine reason why he might have said it but he really just let his mouth run away with him and now he’s going to have to face the consequences.

There really is no excuse.

The reality is, everybody is a racist to a certain extent.

This was first brought to my attention by one of my favorite authors, Malcolm Gladwell.

Who, for those of you who don't know, has a Jamaican mother. He failed the test.

And you will too.

It was started by Harvard University years and years ago and is still used to gather data.

Take it and see if you too are racist.

In no way am I using this to support Ramage, or racism. 

I'm just saying things are more complicated than we like to sometimes believe. 

I didn't listen to the entirety of the post match rant by Ramage & Co, but I must admit I was a little taken back by Lowe's instagram post. I thought that there must've been a misinterpretation between what Lowe posted and what Ramage said, because I know that Ramage was criticised on his comments regarding YOUNG players, not necessarily young black players. Bird seemed to take as much as a kicking as the rest of them. I want to believe in my heart-of-hearts that us what he meant, perhaps the audio where he states 'young black' players was a freudian slip, I don't know and i wouldn't want to comment on his core beliefs. I would be surprised if he was genuinely racist in any way though. I don't know him, but that would be my take on it. 

It's ultimately cost him his role with BBC Radio Derby, but I think deep down that when Derby players voiced their opinion that he was never coming back after that. It's unneeded tension around the club. I won't vilify him and I'm certainly not going to rejoice in him losing his job. It just is the right decision for all parties involved. 

34 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'm totally ambivalent quite honestly - I live in Nottingham so never listen to his broadcasts or the phone ins, I only remember watching him as a player so that's the only point of reference I have, other posters have the advantage on me in the respect of listening to him on Radio Derby.

Were the comments he made deliberately motivated or were they unfortunate and said in haste without any foresight into their import once uttered. I can't be genuinely sure and there's only one person who does know this, not anyone on here. 

So you think his words only worthy of sanction if there is provable intent behind them? Otherwise, you're 'ambivalent'?

54 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I agree, the first thing I would have done is contact the lads myself and apologise fully for my stupidity and unintentional racism (lets assume he is not an actual racist).

They must know him and met him in and around the club so a genuine grovelling apology directly to them would have taken the sting out of it you would of thought.

Exactly my thoughts. It shows the character of a person to right their wrongs face to face.

Archived