Ever sat in "The wrong end"?

Mucker1884

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/02/2020 at 03:59, angieram said:

My first season at the Baseball Ground we stood in the away terrace every game, which I thought was strange. My hubby said it was because he'd always stood there and he wasn't moving just because they'd decided to let away fans in. 

It was pay on the gate and I can't recall any checks being done. It did get hairy at times and I nagged him to move out which we eventually did.

Only away match was at Anfield where we actually sat in a stand with home fans (I presume because our end had sold out.) It was a long time ago - October 1975 - but I just remember being made to feel very welcome by the Liverpool fans and having a great chat about football generally.  We were Champions at the time so they were quite relieved to draw 1 - 1 and I suppose that's probably why it was all very civil.

I had always liked Liverpool as a team and still do. Maybe that day helped me to retain that admiration for them. I know everyone else seems to hate Liverpool and I have never quite got it! 

Been to Anfield a few times and 'welcomed' was not an experience I ever experienced.

Having said that a friend did because the kids looking after his car liked him so much they signed his car with a pair of keys to wish him adieu.

It's thoughtful touches like that that make me realize it ain't a bad old world after all.

Went to watch us at Old Trafford with a 5 other Rammers - don't remember the year, but it was in the Dean Saunders era, and we won 2 - 0. It might even have been on the day of the Hillsborough disaster as my wife, who doesn't "do" football had heard the news and was quite worried. It used to be hard getting tickets in those days, but a friend's brother lived in Manchester and got us tickets. We tried to sit on our hands for the first goal, but noticed a few people sort of jumped in their seats, but then forced themselves back down. It seemed that we'd got away with it, so we all leapt about yelling our heads off for the second, and n o-one batted an eyelid. Weird. We were still very much aware of Manure's reputation for nutcase fans, so were quite wary, but ended up having a great time!

I actually managed it much, much earlier when I took my brother to the Watney Cup Final, again against Manchester United. And they really did have nasty fans in those days. We managed to run all the way round the Manure team coach waving our back and white scarves - I bet they'd never had that done to them before ?, but such was the demand for tickets that we ended up in the Pop Stand right near the half way line. And right in the middle of the Manure fans. Oh dear. 

Very hastily, but oh so discreetly we stuffed our scarves up our shirts, which was a bit awkward - it was blisteringly hot weather, and we had lightweight summer shirts on, so it was obvious what we had done. We pushed our way to the front so we could lean against the front wall and hide the bulging shirt-fronts.

And then watched us play the likes of Bobby Charlton, Dennis Law, George Best and co off the park, winning 4 - 1, and daren't so much as breathe faster, let alone get excited. It was good for weight loss though, as we must have sweated buckets full!

And finally - still in the Clough ear, we staged a testimonial for Dave Mackay with Nottinthem Forest as the opponents. I have no idea of the score as it didn't really matter, but on my way back down the street towards Osmaston Road and suddenly heard a huge commotion, and turned to see a wall of Forest fans marauding down the middle of the road towards me. The street was lined with terraced houses, and one occupant decided that instead of opening the curtains to see what was going on, she would open the front door, right next to where I was standing. "Thank you very much" I said as I stepped inside and shut the door. Boy, that was close!

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

‘In the wrong end’ is that euphemism?

No.  It was a sensible thread title started by a mature poster.

Why does this forum always have to lower the tone?  Smut.  innuendo.  Double entendres.  Puns, for god's sake... how old are we!

I sometimes wonder why I even bother to start such threads!  Some of you need to take a long hard look at yourselves, grow up, and try taking part in sensible discussion once in a while!

Oh... "Wrong end"...  I see what you mean now!  Arf, Arf!

On my eighteenth birthday in 1976 we were at home to Liverpool in the 4th round of the F.A. Cup and as both teams were riding high in the League at that time, the game was a sell-out. I hadn't got a ticket but a neighbour who was a steward gave me a complimentary ticket, the only problem being it was in the Ossie end terrace with the scouser's. 

This was at the height of the 1970's hooligan problem so I stood there totally mute knowing that I couldn't do a convicing scouse accent. I remember in the second half when Roger Davies, who had a super-sub reputation, came on those all around me thought he would score and I think asked my opinion to which I shrugged in a 'yes, he might' type of way. Well, good old Roger did score the only goal of the game and feigning disapointment whilst being inwardly delighted was very difficult!

I was actually in the main stand at the city ground when we beat forest 1-0 (Bryson winner). Got free tickets from someone I know who worked at forest at the time. Had to sit on my hands, and sort of jumped up when Bryson scored but made a pretend angry yell ?. Was good fun listening to the gumps moan about how much they hated Nigel clough. 

I was in the home end at St Mary's in our promotion season February 2007 thanks to my landlord, a Saints season ticket holder when I was living in Worthing.

When we scored, Steve Howard was it?, i did the old woop of delight and quickly sat down again as all around me gave me the evils.

He still gave me ride home though and the rent didn't go up either, so all good.

Quite a few times over the years when younger and less well behaved , memorable ones in with the away fans at the bbg, Plymouth cup replay midweek and in with Everton when floodlights failed at one point ,, both turned quite lively ,black lane was fun ?

1 hour ago, Ramos said:

I was actually in the main stand at the city ground when we beat forest 1-0 (Bryson winner). Got free tickets from someone I know who worked at forest at the time. Had to sit on my hands, and sort of jumped up when Bryson scored but made a pretend angry yell ?. Was good fun listening to the gumps moan about how much they hated Nigel clough. 

Haha, I was in that stand as well. The row above the directors box.

Bought the ticket the day before the game, god knows how I managed to get one in prime position. 

Was that the same game as Ward giving it the 1 0 sign to the forest fans as he walked along the touchline by the main stand smiling away to himself. He was getting dogs abuse. ?

Many times, the most recent being last tuesday, at Luton. They sussed out that I was Derby pretty early on and to be fair, we had some good banter until we scored. Luckily, they took the lead within the next ten minutes so they took pity on me.

A couple of times that really stand out are Forest in '88. My late Grandparents were Forest fans since the 20's and had season tickets in the notorious A Block. They'd sat there since the 60's when it wasn't frequented by the hoolies ! They got my mate and I tickets sat just behind them and we must have just looked nervous because I soon as we sat down, I was tapped on the shoulder and the guy behind me said 'we don't like your sort in 'ere !'.

They scored after about 5 minutes and we both stood up, only for my mate to get a whack around the head and we were then led away very quickly to the away end where my arse was spotted on the highlights as I climbed over the wall.

The other time was at Leicester. My Brother-in-law worked for Ind Coope and he got my mate and I two corporate tickets. We had the full tour of the Trophy Room. It was 1992 so it didn't take long in those days, we had the free grub and booze and took our seats high up in the old Main Stand. We assumed that all of those sat around us were also 'corporate fans' so my mate and I didn't bother to hide our allegiances. We took an early lead, celebrated and my mate got whacked around the head (again!)...'Derby Scum' said the thug behind us. This time, we didn't move and we eventually lost in the last minute. The abuse we got was wicked but, for some reason, the stewards protected us. Probably thought we had money. Joyous times. Never actually seen us win whilst sitting with the enemy, either. Probably a good thing as I've got a shocking poker face !          

March 1990 Derby 1 - Arsenal 3. I brought two Arsenal friends up and we sat in the C Stand on their devout promise they would keep quiet throughout. Arsenal score first, they jump up and within seconds I'm getting pelted in all directions, from fellow Derby fans. We get hauled out by the stewards, thrown in the Arsenal end and I have to watch the rest of the game from the away end. We lost 1-3, awful game and horrible experience.

After the match we go down town for some beers, get into two fights and end up getting milk bottles thrown at us as we ran away up Normanton Road.

They never got invited back....

As a kid I was taken to Forest v Derby by a neighbour who was a Forest fan. Had to go in with their lot. John Robertson missed a penalty and I raised my fists and yelled in triumph. Got a lot of "hard stares" by those around me but I did not care!

1978, Birmingham City away, a car load of us arrived at St. Andrews late, the game had kicked off so we just paid in the first turnstile we came to.

Turned out to be the big side terrace with the away end to our right. It was inhabited by Brum's finest steel toe capped denizens of Digbeth, not a pretty sight...

We kept our silence for a bit, smoking cigarettes and trying to blend in, when that pesky Gerry Daly slotted a goal in for us. Half a dozen Rams down near the front must have celebrated and were fiercely attacked - as this went on we decided to slip down toward the front, there were others heading that way and Brummies were looking round so we thought it best to shift - the police were by now pulling the Derby fans out of the Brummies terrace just below us and attention was on them.

Just as we got down there another brawl erupted 10 yards from us so we legged it over the wall onto the pitch side with seconds to spare as  the Brummies went mad realising there was other Derby in there. We got coins, lumps of concrete and darts thrown at us and were a bit damp from spit by the time we clambered into the away end to huge applause from the cheering Derby fans.

It was always a pleasant day out in Brum back then!

On 04/02/2020 at 19:38, ColonelBlimp said:

I was in the home end at St Mary's in our promotion season February 2007 thanks to my landlord, a Saints season ticket holder when I was living in Worthing.

When we scored, Steve Howard was it?, i did the old woop of delight and quickly sat down again as all around me gave me the evils.

He still gave me ride home though and the rent didn't go up either, so all good.

I was in the family stand with my 4 yo lad that same day Colonel.

Yep - was Steve Howard who scored, after spending most of the match skittling the defenders with some robust "challenges" ?

Liked our dark blue and bright yellow away kit that we affected that season!

On 02/02/2020 at 20:39, G STAR RAM said:

Lead singer used to run the Silk Mill and the Exeter Arms I believe.

On 02/02/2020 at 20:44, Rams-in-Spain said:

Martin Roper? 

Martin still runs The Exeter , The Crossing in Burton and The Duke of Devonshire in Belper. Gave up the Silk Mill 12 months or so ago as the brewery put the rent up loads. Anti Pasti still play now and again. Martin doesn’t usually sing now just the occasional guest slot i believe

Archived