Ever sat in "The wrong end"?

Mucker1884

3 minutes ago, therams69 said:

Wouldn't say I have ever ended up in the wrong end but mistake but have on purpose gone in home ends due sold out ...

Huddersfield away in the FA Cup 5th round 1999. Got a bit crazy in the home end. Bloke next to us realised we were Derby but said you will be fine. Different story when everyone around us was pushing to get at the Derby fans lol. We kept quiet and were fine. Ended 2-2.

Villa v Derby late 90''s. Top of the table clash so must have been around September time I reckon. Drove up to Villa Park in the week to get a ticket. Away fans were behind the goal back then so we sat where the away fans now sit on the side of the pitch. No issue there. Being young and naive i actually put a Derby flag up over the railings before kick off which got a loud cheer from away end. Steward just said sorry mate cant go there and left it at that haha...

And finally the famous 4 -4 against Bradford! Early 2000's maybe .. Lots of Derby fans in there. Relegation battle if i recall so an important game. Cant remember how I got the ticket but on entering they were asking everyone for their postcodes. I wasn't prepared and a few of us got stopped from going in. Walked around the ground and then the Police gave us a 100m injuction to be away from the ground as they were claiming we were trying to sneak in through open doors, wasn't the case. Ended up back on the bus listening to it. What a game to miss!

Think thats about it for me ... 

4-4 game-I was in the Bradford end. When we scored the first I decided to sit on my hands but half the section jumped up. Great atmosphere as everyone was giving it large at some point but all very friendly as far as I recall. Don’t know how you got stopped, not many else did!

As for everyone else’s stories- Leeds would have had more in the home end and probably put it all over Twitter. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few times (Arsenal on my own, Spurs on my own - my sister lived in London and I'd go down),  Man Utd the day we beat them and the Hillsborough disaster happened. Man U fans cheered at half time when they heard the news coming through.

Both me and my nephew went up both times we scored (micklewhite and Goddard I think) and never heard a dickie bird behind us. Man U was never scary in those days, not like when they came to the BBG in the 70s

But the two scariest were both at Derby.

The first time I'd been to the bar and was walking back to the C Stand with a Derby fan in front of me. He had a beer in either hand and two lads in Tacchini track suits were walking toward him.

Without saying anything that I could see they both simultaneously punched him and he just crumpled to the ground. I just froze, but they laughed and walked past me.

30-seconds later it was mayhem in C Stand.

The other time was worse and I was in the Ozzie end upper when playing West Ham at a night game. I was younger then, maybe 18 and West Ham were everywhere.

I went for a slash at half time and this kid just turned and looked at me as I was having a pee and said 'Aw white mate, got the time 'ave yer?'

I just held up my watch for him to look and ducked off out of there.

Actually no, the scariest was Millwall away in the late 80's. Not sure if this even counts because we never even got into the ground. 5 of us had gone down for a night game and had parked about a mile away. Everywhere we turned there were groups of youths lurking on corners.

And with Millwall it wasn't just young kids, but proper hard men and we knew if we approached we'd have got a kicking.

We ended up sitting in a pub in Chiswick that I knew of when I used to go down on my own and heard the score on Radio 5 (or was it 2 then) driving home.

Been to quite a few Leicester Home matches over the years and take great delight in booing off the home  team at half-time and moaning and criticising loudly any move or pass that goes awry,  I have had great coaching over this at Pride Park over the last few years.

Many moons ago, a mini bus full went to Rotherham. This was during the miners strike. It was decided that we were going in the away end. My mate and I got split up. A group of lads came and said are you miners, my mate said no we are brickies. I said come on we will go in the corner out the way. Another group of lads came and said are you Derby fans. My mate said Yeah. That was the end of that. Got a right kicking. We were marched along the pitch side and put in the away end. All the Derby fans singing we’re proud of you. Bizarre when I think of it now. 

8 hours ago, therams69 said:

Wouldn't say I have ever ended up in the wrong end but mistake but have on purpose gone in home ends due sold out ...

The title's not the best, I admit!  I meant for whatever reason, not specifically by accident... although that would no doubt be funny!  ?

My first season at the Baseball Ground we stood in the away terrace every game, which I thought was strange. My hubby said it was because he'd always stood there and he wasn't moving just because they'd decided to let away fans in. 

It was pay on the gate and I can't recall any checks being done. It did get hairy at times and I nagged him to move out which we eventually did.

Only away match was at Anfield where we actually sat in a stand with home fans (I presume because our end had sold out.) It was a long time ago - October 1975 - but I just remember being made to feel very welcome by the Liverpool fans and having a great chat about football generally.  We were Champions at the time so they were quite relieved to draw 1 - 1 and I suppose that's probably why it was all very civil.

I had always liked Liverpool as a team and still do. Maybe that day helped me to retain that admiration for them. I know everyone else seems to hate Liverpool and I have never quite got it! 

BBG with my dad in the late 70's when I was just a nipper - we always stood in the Columbo terrace for some reason with the away fans near the floodlight. My greatest memory was when we beat Spurs 8 - 2.

About 1986 in Doncaster on a Sunday I think. Got kicked up the harris for being a 'sca

About 1990 stood in the Shed at Chelsea ( just because the coppers kept the away fans in for ages ) This was a good idea apparently ?? Mick Harford scored & i had to bite my lip

Finally I was in the Trent End seats when Christian Dailly equalised in about 1997. I cheered & it was clear that there were loads of Derby fans also in there

Sat in the home end in Munich when we beat Germany 5-1... we made a decision not to say anything to anyone and be invisible....thought we had got away with it too....then Germany scored the first and the whole row in front of us turned around and shouted "duck you England" at us....so I guess we weren't as incognito as we thought.....clapped the equalizer, stood up and clapped the 2nd, jumped up and cheered the third, went mental when the 4th went in and we were dancing on the seats when the 5th one was bagged...! We almost didn't go to the game too as there had been so much trouble during the day....thankfully we did...the best game ever.!

On 02/02/2020 at 15:13, Van De Squid said:

Leicester Filbert Street. 2001/02 season. We won 3-0. Kinkladze, Strupar, Morris. It was glorious. Did jump up when we scored but in fake disgust! 
asks mr bean GIF

was then when Collymore did his ankle? or was that a PP game?

Got complimentary tickets for Leicester in the Billy Davies play-off season, but in the home end.

Was nice getting off the train and walking through the police corden holding loads of my mates back, and showing my "home" ticket and saying "not with them".

They didn't fill the Crisp Bowl back then, so we had loads of room around us.

Think the game was a draw, I think Hume scored, and I have a feeling something meaningful happened with Darren Moore, maybe he get red card or gave peno. Can't quite recall.

Yep! Had two very different experiences. 

Got a mate who's a Brentford fan who got me a ticket to stand with the home fans back in 2014 where we both watched Stuart Dallas score a last minute winner for the Bees. Gutted. Had to stand amongst a bunch of Londoners going mental. I just stood there and halfheartedly applauded. 

Same year, a Birmingham City fan I know had a spare ticket sat with the home fans at St Andrews. Sat on my hands, smiling to myself as the Rams put 4 past a woeful Blues. Jordan Ibe was unplayable, Johnny Russell was magnificent, and Craig Forsyth put in one of his best performances in a Rams shirt. Snowed loads that day!

Also went to Chelsea v the rams in I think 1997 - sat in the middle tier of the East stand at Stamford Bridge and went up when the Chelsea keeper threw a long ranger free kick from Asanovic into his net to give us the lead......

The faithful were looking at me curiously, but disaster averted by us shipping a couple before half time - Matt Carbon gave away a pen and I think either Mark Hughes or Dennis Wise scored after a shot hit the post.

We lost 3-1, which ironically was the mirror image of the 1-3 I had "enjoyed" back in '83 ?

Yeah, a couple of times. In 2017, I went to Elland Road with a Leeds mate. Horrible stadium, it was very, very hard to avoid cheering when Sam Winnall put us 2-1 up. Had to stand up for the Leeds goal. Was not a good experience. Had a fun train back to Sheffield winding my friend up, so it worked out alright. Now have a Leeds United membership number from that. 

I went to Bristol City last season in the home end, I managed to pick their ''singing section'' by accident, and got surrounded by a lot of angry people with farmer accents. Didn't join in with any of their chants, but a home fan next to me was complaining about the ref so I had to pretend he was rubbish. It was such a big game for the playoff race, it was nerve racking. Very easy to get tickets in the home end though.

Archived