Ever sat in "The wrong end"?

Mucker1884

Rams away... but sat/stood with the home fans?

Late opportunity. Rams tickets sold out.  Managed to cadge two Season Tickets off a work associate who was away for New Year.  A 1-2 win at Barnsley (29/12/2013).  Can't remember either of Chris Martins goals (Thanks Google), but Cywka scored a beauty for them, if memory serves?  Was in The Main Stand, surrounded by pensioners in t' flat caps, but still sat on my hands, with gob firmly shut.  Didn't want the ticket donor getting into trouble!  Sat "sulking" for both Derby goals, and politely stood and applauded Cywka's goal (which deserved it anyway, to be fair!)  Never easy being in the home end, whether your team is winning or losing!
The Away end was rammed... literally... but beggars can't be choosers!

09/05/2004... Wimbledon away at the MK Hockey Stadium.  Last match of the season.
When the tickets went on sale, it was looking like we may need to win to avoid relegation.  (As it turned out, we secured safety in the penultimate game, so this mattered not (Don's were already down... or certainly were by the time the game came around).
Again a late decision to go... but our destiny was still uncertain when I bagged the tickets.  A group of 6 of us fancied it, but again, the away end was already sold out.  That was roughly half the ground (behind one goal, and a full side).  I rang Wimbledon FC, and tried a cokney accent, but my home (Derby) address.  I received short shrift!  The following day, I tried again, but this time using my sister's address in Southend, and claiming "I used to go when we played at Selhurst, but not been since we moved to MK"!) I managed to bag a Wimbledon FC supporter/Member number (Which I presume still stands, if only I could remember it!  LOL!) and six... count 'em... six seats together, behind the goal, but nearest block to the corner (nearest to the Rams fans in the side stand).
I arrived with Rams shirt securely secreted under a jacket, and we took to our seats assuming we were surrounded by Dons fans.  We were three rows back, in a block maybe 15 rows x 20 seats?  Within 5 minutes of kick off, some numpty on the front row proudly stood, removed his jacket, and proudly turned to show off his bright, white, Rams shirt.  As the stewards very slowly advanced, his mate did the same... then another on the second row... then me... then 3 of my mates!  Literally within 5 minutes, at least 200, all in that same block, were showing their true (Rams) colours, and loudly backing the away team, to much disdain and claims of "get 'em all out"! from the neighbouring block!
We got the impression that the stewards didn't fancy any action, and they allowed us to carry on "as long as we behaved"!  LOL!  I'm pretty certain we made more noise in that single block than the remaining half a stadium of Rams fans, throughout the entire game, and had such a laugh  (even with some of the home fans, once they realised we weren't there to cause trouble).  Some remained a tad angry though, understandably, I guess!  Remember there was nothing riding on the game for us or them, and it really was the most dire, unexciting game imaginable"  Thank God we'd already avoided relegation!  We lost 1-0. Not sure we had a shot on target!  But at least we didn't have to stand and applaud the goal, pretending to be a home fan!  

Massive respect to the Wimbledon Ticket staff, who clearly suspected foul play, seeing as all the "suspects" were seated together in the same home block!  LOL!  I guess Rams fans are a sneaky lot, when it comes to important away games (as it appeared it could be at one stage).  

If we ever get drawn away to them in the cup, give me a shout... I'll see if I can find my Wimbledon supporters number!  ?

I guess many others have been "In the wrong end" for a Rams away game, so 'fess up.  How did you manage to secure your ticket?  Did you stand/jump up/cheer for the oppo's goal?  Did you bite your lip when we scored?

Over to Ewes... 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most recent one was Accy Stanley away in the cup last season. Took my little Junior Ram with me  and gave him strict instructions not to over celebrate should we score. On entering the stadium he was handed a red flag to wave. I don't want that he insisted, I want a white one. Luckily they had white ones so managed to do a swap before his protesting had us rumbled. We survived to tell the tale but he told me he doesn't ever want to  infiltrate the home fans again.

When a young teenager stood in the Holt End, didn't appreciate the 'niceties' and celebrated us scoring rather loudly! Seem to remember my big brother reminding me that discretion was the better point of valour and slinking off to stand somewhat removed from where we started! ?

Done it a couple of times at Leeds...hated it as lost both times. Most dangerous was West Ham v Derby at the old Upton Park in about 2009/2010. I was sat with my Hammer mate in the Bobby Moore Stand..it was a Saturday night match & we were massive underdogs. 

Tamas Priskin scored early for us & I leapt to my feet (mostly in shock). Realising this may not have been the wisest move as all eyes were now on me, I let fly in my worst fake-Cockney 'you facking mugs' & sat down pretty sharpish. We lost 3-1..I resorted to polite applause & a grimace for their goals.

Thankfully only a few times.  Worst was February 5th 1977 (thanks interweb) at Old Trafford stood in the Stretford End with a Man U supporting mate.  We were on the way down - Colin Addison was our manager, Docherty their's - and lost 3-1.  Tony Macken scored our goal in the 90th minute - the equaliser - into the Stretford End and I very, very nearly shouted into the silence "Yes, Come on". Luckily sense just prevailed but the flinch of my body nearly cheering must have been enough to alert the toe rag stood next to me as I could sense him staring hard.  Even more luckily they scored two more goals in injury time, he was distracted and I escaped.

The last time was with young Ilkley in the Fulham fans in the second leg of the play off.  Not much risk of any cheering at that one.

Elland Road. Was invited as part of a corporate event, what a dump it is, even the corporate stuff was shocking. No doubt it will be better now as this was a good 15 years ago.

V sheff wed 5-2 away.

couldn't help mesen. I cheered all our goals and smiled sweetly. After a while they just accepted me and moaned about their crap team. Was it nigel cloughs last ever game at that level? They had carbone, clough and david pleat. they had more to worry about than i did.

v arsenal away 0-2 about 1980-1

there was a moment in the second half when we managed to break into their half, and i broke cover cheering us on. i just waved to the neanderthals who turned around to stare but i thought we were going get smacked on the way out.

v burton away under rowett 0-3 or 1-3

stupid little titch of a hard man with his dwarfy mum and dad barged through the crowd and took exception to me standing my ground. He wanted to start something. Oh yeah i forgot. That our our fans. Just seemed like the opposition given the amount of abuse directed at our players.

Quite a few times over the years, having a Birmingham address helped. 

I remember one occasion in the seventies, away to Chelsea who had a terrible reputation at the time. Being alone, I decided to play safe and get a posh seat in the centre of the new main stand. Up to 5 minutes before KO, I thought the plan had worked well as I was surrounded by sedate posh cockneys. But then 4 yuppies in suits came in and sat directly behind me. They spent the whole match talking to each other, saying what they going to do to any Derby fans they found after the game. 

Needless to say, I stood up when Chelsea scored, but remained seated when Derby equalised for a 1-1 draw. 

Another funny incident, or maybe not, was at Wolves when Tommy Docherty was our manager. Again on my own and 'safe' planning led me to the standing area behind the dugouts, where I met another group of Derby youths, who had come on the coach from Derby. 

Derby were winning 2-1 with a couple of minutes to go and I noticed a large mob of wolves fans gathering menacingly in front of us. I suggested to the other lads that next time wolves attacked, we should scarper. 

I led the way out and didn't stop running until I reached my car, gasping for air. Unfortunately, someone else was also gasping for air alongside me. One of the Derby lads had followed me instead of his mates to the coach park. There were no mobile phones then so I said that I would drop him at Birmingham New Street rail station. 

A few weeks later at another away game, I saw the same group of lads and found out what happened. Apparently, they went back to look for their mate and got caught up with the wolves fans. After the coach could not wait any longer, they returned to Derby in the early hours. They went to the lad's parent's House to say that they'd lost him. His mum told them that he'd been in bed for about 3 hours. ?

Sat with my Manure mate and his dad in the OT stand back c. 1979.  Lost 4 nil, but the funniest bit was my hosts ordered an early evacuation to beat the traffic.  Between our exit and reaching the car, Utd got their 4th.  My hosts had missed it!  40 years and 3 thousand appearances later (only a slight exaggeration!), it turned at that it was the only goal Capt. Marvel (aka Martin Buchan) scored for them, during his oh so long and loyal Red Devils career.  That was also the day that I decided never to leave a game early again!  LOL

Also stood bang in the centre of the Kop.  Was with the Derby Branch of their supporters club, so accent wasn't a problem.  Lost 3-0, so cheering wasn't a problem.  It was an improvement from my visit there, when we lost 5-0, so 3-0 wasn't a problem either!  LOL! 
Have to say, without doubt, it was the very best terrace view I've ever experienced (never missed a game home or away during '79 to 82, and I can only presume 99% were on terraces).  (As an Ossie-ender, I always preferred to be behind the goal, rather than down the side/half way line).

I could never bring myself to do it at the Council Ground.  I wouldn't trust myself to keep quiet if we scored, and besides, I can only imagine they whiff a bit!

19 minutes ago, RamNut said:

v arsenal away 0-2 about 1980-1

there was a moment in the second half when we managed to break into their half, and i broke cover cheering us on. i just waved to the neanderthals who turned around to stare but i thought we were going get smacked on the way out.

Pretty certain I was at that too, and as I've only been once, that too would have been in the "home end"... in this case, an old stand (seats) down the side of the pitch, akin the our old ABC Stand, but presumably bigger?  Absolutely no funny or interesting story to tell though!  Sorry!  ?

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Pretty certain I was at that too, and as I've only been once, that too would have been in the "home end"... in this case, an old stand (seats) down the side of the pitch, akin the our old ABC Stand, but presumably bigger?  Absolutely no funny or interesting story to tell though!  Sorry!  ?

Yes that sounds right. The was was a bloke behind who obviously went to bemrose school and was pointing out steve powell to his son. His kid asked "where are all the Derby fans?" And his dad said " well if they've got any sense they won't have come in here". 

Yep many years ago as I sat in the Notts County end as I could not get a ticket for the Derby end. Derby scored in the first few minutes and I could not stop myself from jumping up. The home fans made my life a nightmare as we scored 2 more with each goal unfortunately I could not control myself. No hassle though just great banter and a great game! 

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Yes that sounds right. The was was a bloke behind who obviously went to bemrose school and was pointing out steve powell to his son. His kid asked "where are all the Derby fans?" And his dad said " well if they've got any sense they won't have come in here". 

I can only assume (Lousy memory) that it would have been "pay at the gate", and we decided to opt for seats?  I doubt very much we would have pre-purchased tickets.  Different times... but great days!  Exciting too, (for a 17 year old, as I would have been around then), despite clearly embarking on a "downward turn", as we were then!     ??  

Archived