Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well, I did see this earlier. I presume not credible? 

I'd have thought credible in so much as Chrissy will indeed want a reasonable wage and contract term. For all there has been scoffing over his stats in last seasons Championship, you have to say they were pretty impressive. You wonder what he might have done with the number of chances Waghorn had? 

I think we’ve got our first piece of context for what Chris Martin’s market value will be with Steven Fletcher going to Celtic on a one year deal.

Makes you wonder if Martin was hoping Celtic would come in for him?

Similar goal records last season, similar age and both former Scotland internationals. Only real difference is Fletcher’s got those PL years under his belt and is a bit more of a name brand.

Looks like Celtic sniped Stoke who were going to give him a 2 year deal. Personally think Stoke have dodged a bullet there, two year contract seems a bit excessive but shows that there are clubs out there willing to pay strikers like Fletcher or Martin and give them two year contracts.

In fact, Fletcher’s 34 in March whereas Martin isn’t 34 until November 2022

5 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I think we’ve got our first piece of context for what Chris Martin’s market value will be with Steven Fletcher going to Celtic on a one year deal.

Makes you wonder if Martin was hoping Celtic would come in for him?

Similar goal records last season, similar age and both former Scotland internationals. Only real difference is Fletcher’s got those PL years under his belt and is a bit more of a name brand.

Looks like Celtic sniped Stoke who were going to give him a 2 year deal. Personally think Stoke have dodged a bullet there, two year contract seems a bit excessive but shows that there are clubs out there willing to pay strikers like Fletcher or Martin and give them two year contracts.

In fact, Fletcher’s 34 in March whereas Martin isn’t 34 until November 2022

CM would have decent recognition in Scotland being their international striker. 

On 04/08/2020 at 20:51, Steve How Hard? said:

There could be something in that. There is a furniture link, tallboy meets the Chair boys. ?

Also the Lazyboy (don't kill me, i love Martin) 

Sad to see Chrissie leave, and voted no, but I voted from a football point of view. I think that he still has a lot to offer, however money HAS to be the deciding factor. If we have truly offered the maximum we can and CM feels that he can get more elsewhere then both parties are right to go their separate ways. It could also be the length of contract that was a stumbling block. Maybe he wanted longer than we were prepared to offer. If he does eventually resign then I will be very happy, however if we've seen the last of him in a Derby shirt then good luck Chris and a million thanks for the memories.

22 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Sad to see Chrissie leave, and voted no, but I voted from a football point of view. I think that he still has a lot to offer, however money HAS to be the deciding factor. If we have truly offered the maximum we can and CM feels that he can get more elsewhere then both parties are right to go their separate ways. It could also be the length of contract that was a stumbling block. Maybe he wanted longer than we were prepared to offer. If he does eventually resign then I will be very happy, however if we've seen the last of him in a Derby shirt then good luck Chris and a million thanks for the memories.

The wage cap has reduced his options to Championship teams and above (or abroad) - maybe he will return after all.....

10 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

The wage cap has reduced his options to Championship teams and above (or abroad) - maybe he will return after all.....

No wage cap has been announced for the Championship has it? Just League 1 and 2.

Although I do think this could impact Martin’s options, not that I think he would or should consider League 1, but we may see those clubs look to move on their high earners with possible bargains to be had.

Let’s be honest, Premier League has gone now, I would be very surprised if he ended up there, so we’re looking at 23 Championship clubs under financial difficulty with the Covid situation. 

Whilst I think the time was right to say goodbye, I can’t help but feel for the guy, the last few years can’t have been easy, but then he’s made this decision to chance his luck, genuinely interested to see where he ends up.

SPL perhaps?  

34 minutes ago, richinspain said:

It wasn't the amount of money it was the length and structure of the deal, which suggests it was a year with us either a) having an option of another year or b) a second year being triggered by X amount of appearances. 

5 minutes ago, sage said:

It wasn't the amount of money it was the length and structure of the deal, which suggests it was a year with us either a) having an option of another year or b) a second year being triggered by X amount of appearances. 

Guesswork?

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Still money though at the end of the day isn’t it? I mean let’s say Derby offered 15k a week for one year, had his counter been I tell you what 7.5k a week but over 2 years I don’t see us saying no.

Wanted his guaranteed money if you are correct for a longer period. 

Which in fairness to the club, he is getting on in footballer years, with his illness, you can understand why they may feel cautious given the financial climate 

9 minutes ago, sage said:

It wasn't the amount of money it was the length and structure of the deal, which suggests it was a year with us either a) having an option of another year or b) a second year being triggered by X amount of appearances

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Guesswork?

The first part was widely reported and the second half is yes an educated guess based on how Derby have offered contracts to older players in the past. 

Archived