Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Andicis said:

So just to be clear, even with a huge amount of attempts, we've never managed to get a striker even close to Chris Martin's level since he signed in 2013.

We haven't which is one of the reasons that Martin has invoked the loyalty that his "successors" have failed to achieve.

Once we get a striker in who has the ability,I'm sure they will admired equally as well.

Jack and Waggers aren't that person but hopefully Cocu is pulling the strings to get in suitable replacement although I worry that we have the budget to achieve it.

Just now, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Yeah because Vydra didn’t score more in his golden boot season than Martin ever managed.

Ah yes, because Vydra definitely wasn't playing in the hole behind a centre forward and definitely played the same position as Martin. Plus Martin in 2013/14 got 25 goals, Vydra in his golden boot season got 22 (all competitions, Vydra got 21 in the Champ, Martin 20). And even then, that's a pretty ignorant way of looking at contribution. Martin scores plenty but is also good in all round play, much better than Vydra was.

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Ah yes, because Vydra definitely wasn't playing in the hole behind a centre forward and definitely played the same position as Martin. Plus Martin in 2013/14 got 25 goals, Vydra in his golden boot season got 22 (all competitions, Vydra got 21 in the Champ, Martin 20). And even then, that's a pretty ignorant way of looking at contribution. Martin scores plenty but is also good in all round play, much better than Vydra was.

Yes he wasn’t played as a striker which makes his record that season even more impressive, but he’s still a striker by trade.

Telling that only one of the two has made any contributions at the top level ?

1 minute ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Yes he wasn’t played as a striker which makes his record that season even more impressive, but he’s still a striker by trade.

Telling that only one of the two has played premier league football.

I mean that's wrong? He may have only played in the Prem a couple of times, but he has played there. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We're missing Chrissy.

Eat a tub of ice cream and cry for a weekend. That'll get you over it, I've seen it on TV.

1 hour ago, David said:

We’ve had a lot worse! Ellington, Sammon, Robinson

I'm really not sure what people had/have against Robinson? 

The very definition of a mid table Championship striker playing, at the time, in the very definition of a mid table Championship team. Scored about the same rate as Waghorn has done in a worse team? A decent enough threat and never slacked off.

I was writing a reply to the Ward/Waghorn comparison because I thought it was a good and interesting point, but I’m too tired tonight and so I’ll save that to make a few points to hopefully appease the bickering.

- The reason Martin is so popular with fans is because some of us aren’t old enough to remember your favourite player from yesteryear! I grew up on the ‘96 onwards side and I struggle to think of a striker who has given us better service (you can argue on better strikers who played less games, but Martin’s records are unmatched). For younger fans he’s a generational player, to understand older CM fans you have to realise that we haven’t had a striker like that for at least 20 years!

- I think another, much smaller point, here is that the rise of arsenals ‘invincibles’ is for many people an English football highlight of the last 30 years. I’d argue Martin’s style of play is influenced by that (ie one touch, pressing and aggressive attacking football). I’m not saying anyone has ever left pride park and said ‘Chris Martin reminds me of Arsenal in 2001’, but I think many people look at Martin and think that’s how football should be played. Or something like that. 

-I think a better point is to say that fans from the Clough era tend to like him for similar reasons?

Im kinda loosing my point as I’m tired but I’m trying to unbiasedly make the point that if you like football, you should like Chris Martin and it’s ok to appreciate that he had a big impact on this club whilst he was here. Not sure how unbiased I was but hey ho!

1 hour ago, David said:

We’ve had a lot worse! Ellington, Sammon, Robinson

Sammon was a carthorse with a purpose.  In 13/14 when martin was having no joy against a centre half they hated him coming on dragging them into corners and swinging his elbows.  Robinson seemed useless but averaged 1 in 3 for us which is a better average than Waghorn and cost 4% of his transfer.  Ellington was 1.5 million best spent elsewhere though he did pay for himself i suppose with that injury time pen that put us through to the league cup semi final.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

So just to be clear, even with a huge amount of attempts, we've never managed to get a striker even close to Chris Martin's level since he signed in 2013.

Really ? Vydra was top notch for us and was sold for very very good money , despite multiple loans we can’t attract a firm offer of a decent fee for Martin over the last how many years and I’m not noticing a mad rush to sign him on a free from any prem / top champ clubs ? Now that’s somehow not the player some are describing on here , it’s ok to like matin and for him to be a fav but a bit of balance please

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Sammon was a carthorse with a purpose.  In 13/14 when martin was having no joy against a centre half they hated him coming on dragging them into corners and swinging his elbows.  Robinson seemed useless but averaged 1 in 3 for us which is a better average than Waghorn and cost 4% of his transfer.  Ellington was 1.5 million best spent elsewhere though he did pay for himself i suppose with that injury time pen that put us through to the league cup semi final.

7 years ago though 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Wasn’t vydra playing in a rowett negative team and Martin in a mac1 positive attacking team ? , you do yourself and Martin a disservice with this blind bias, Martin has been a good good player for us and deservedly the fav of some fans but come on do we have to do down anybody who is not Martin ?

6 minutes ago, Archied said:

Really ? Vydra was top notch for us and was bought for very very good money , despite multiple loans we can’t attract a firm offer of a decent fee for Martin over the last how many years and I’m not noticing a mad rush to sign him on a free from any prem / top champ clubs ? Now that’s somehow not the player some are describing on here , it’s ok to like matin and for him to be a fav but a bit of balance please

Vydra was not the same position as Martin. They're not competition for each other. Teams wanted to sign Martin, we said no. How do you know who's offering him contract behind the scenes - you don't. My post was fine, as I said, we've not had a striker since 2013 even close to Chris Martin, you just don't like him. 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Waghorn is a very decent striker for this level and I find it quite sad that he is dissed by some because Chris Martin is their fav and they can’t move on , fair play waghorn is not the complete player but neither is Martin ,truth is if you could blend the best bits of both into one player then you would have a very decent player that we couldn’t keep hold of ,

its time to let go of the Martin obsession boys , he’s not been a regular under the last few managers ,been loaned out but never quite saleable, now he has been offered a contract that he doesn’t feel is good enough and wants to move on ,it’s time we did too with thanks for his time and good memories of it 

Oh you mean Pearson, Rowett, Lampard with whom we set the League alight and banged in goals for fun. 

Archived