Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Chris Martin has been one of the best strikers ive seen in a Derby shirt and I would love for him to stay.

However, I really cant blame the club for not offering him a new deal yet. With the whole Covid19 situation the club wont have a clue where we are financially until football starts to return. How can we offer him a wage when we dont know what we can offer him? Im sure he is aware of the situation. No club in this country will know where they are financially to offer new deals.

Personally I think we would have offered him a new deal on reduced terms if everything was normal, hopefully we still do.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, nottingram said:

I imagine without the Coronavirus situation he would’ve got a new deal no problem. But we’re now in a position where I imagine as many costs as possible will need to be cut. Naturally the first place you’re going to look is for those players out of contract

He, on the other hand, is in an excellent position. The free transfer market is going to be so important for clubs and there’ll be no shortage of clubs after him - possibly even Derby once the situation becomes clearer.

I don’t think he is in an excellent position at all.

1) He’s on the wrong side of 30.

2) Clubs don’t have the cash anymore. With FFP (or whatever it’ll look like) it will even stop the rich owners splashing the cash so nobody is going to offer him the same money.

3) I don’t think he really did anything at Fulham, Reading or Hull on his loan spells and people will look at this and say it’s a big risk.

4) I’m fairly certain clubs will go forward with smaller squads just to reduce wage bills. 

It’ll be difficult for Martin. He’s probably on circa £25k a week and to suddenly drop that money to maybe around £5k, that’ll be a shock to anyone. So understandable he may look for one final pay day over glory/comforts of Derby.

I just honestly don’t think he’ll get it. Ryan’s article probably implies that there will be an offer on the table but after years of financial mismanagement the club are now probably looking to be careful this off season. It’ll be cat and mouse because just as likely what we need to replace him will cost just as much elsewhere.

I like the guy and with enough scorers around him he can be effective. However given we are bleeding cash we can’t go offering unsustainable wages anymore. This probably means no more than £15k a week for the next 12-18 months.

Final point - there will be hundreds of free agent players this summer - 98% of them we won’t rate but it’s a buyers market now and players will have to accept across the board substantially lower wage packets. Players will need jobs as well and it’ll come to the point that players will need to start accepting lower wages than what they are accustomed to.

If he left, we'd spend years trying to replace him and waste millions in the process. He's 31 and a half, never relied on pace. If it's just age I take it we tear up Rooney's contract now? Waggy is only a year younger than CM. 

With players like Anya, Huddlestone etc moving on, we'll be able to offer a fair deal and I pray he takes it. Regardless of your thoughts on him, this man has been fantastic for us and would deserve a proper send off. He's still in with a shout of top scorer award having played FAR less minutes than Waghorn... He's currently a 1 in 2 striker and we're considering releasing him? 

Sith Happens

true or not, it demonstrates for me how ludicrous that players could leave at the end of June but the season not finish until a later date, another reason for calling the season null and void.

Sith Happens

although it says he might stay if agrees on vastly reduced terms,  dropping to 300k a week might not be too bad an option for him.

The club may well be waiting to see if an agreement can be reach by all clubs and the EFL on a salary cap, clubs are in the box seat if it gets the nod.Out of contract players will have limited bargaining power. Its what the game needs to sort out the financial mess clubs have got themselves into chasing the golden egg of the Prem.

Very difficult for any person to take a 50% 60%70% pay reduction but it’s all a game of mathematics- what does he have what does he need what does he want what can he get - because on July 1st he is on nothing 

yes I would like him to stay because he is a good footballer and we play well with him in the team with other good footballers but the financial world has changed drastically 

I like Martin he's been a good player for us & he offers something different but it's time to move him on. 

I wouldn't mind if he got a new deal because he offers something different but at the same time don't mind if he goes. We need to play a certain way that suits him & it's probably why some of the loans haven't worked out. 

At his age go & play first team football every week rather than sit on our bench. Striker is an area we need to address & extending Martins contract is an option but not the answer 

15 hours ago, Coconut said:

Click

Bait

Click, click, click, fall for the bait, slag off the club...

Exactly. Low grade journalism trying to fill an empty vessel. If a doesn’t happen then b may happen. There’s no sign of a happening therefore it’s likely b will happen. Gets translated as b is happening. No real substance just pure speculation.  

18 hours ago, nottingram said:

Yes, because of course, the two situations are completely identical

Exactly...one is a great goal scorer who has brought nothing to the club but success, hard work and goals and has more goals in his future...the other is a total **** *** that has brought nothing To the club except shame, embarrassment and absolutely nothing on the pitch and will being absolutely nothing ever on the pitch.....let’s reward one of them with another years contract....hmmmmm which do i pick.?? 

Archived