Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Not offering him a new deal is a mistake in my opinion. He’s still a top class striker at this level - and the best that we currently have. He may not be the future, but surely we’d be better off keeping him on a short term deal until we find a replacement? 

To be honest, this is quite surprising given the current situation - I doubt we have the funds to spend a lot of money on new players, and I’m sure Martin would take a wage cut to stay somewhere where he feels at home, at a place that gets the best out of him. Hope we’ve got a plan here, because he’ll need replacing.

This is such a huge mistake. We're letting our best striker go when we probably have low funds to actually get in a replacement, I'm astonished. It took all year to stumble on to the right formula of Martin upfront and Waghorn on the wing, and now we're back to square one. 

I’m struggling to remember who we’ve got...

kelle roos, Jayden bogle, Andre wisdom, de weirpig, Craig Forsyth, max bird, Jason knight, Duane Holmes, Louie sibley, new, new

subs.....doodah ebosele, lee Buchanan, max Lowe, oojit brown, reverend hepburn-Murphy, Jamal wotsit-wotsit, 

Martin is almost certainly one of our highest earners, so I could understand if he were to end up leaving because he wouldn't take reduced terms. Not offering a deal at all is ridiculous, but then not much surprises me regarding this club any more. The way we have handled Martin over the last few years is absolutely laughable and indicative of the muddled and inconsistent vision for our progress. After hitting double digits in goals scored for three consecutive seasons he'd hit his peak value, so there's two reasonable options at that point, continue to field one of the best strikers in the division or cash in. In a bold and visionary move we decided to do neither and paid him to play for our rivals for the following three seasons, pausing just long enough to give him a bumper new contract before shipping him out again. If the current season resumes he'll likely hit double figures again, so of course we can't wait to get rid.

I imagine without the Coronavirus situation he would’ve got a new deal no problem. But we’re now in a position where I imagine as many costs as possible will need to be cut. Naturally the first place you’re going to look is for those players out of contract

He, on the other hand, is in an excellent position. The free transfer market is going to be so important for clubs and there’ll be no shortage of clubs after him - possibly even Derby once the situation becomes clearer.

11 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Ryan Conway claiming he’ll be released once his contract expires in June. 

Is this an indicator  that we’re that skint we can’t even offer him reduced terms??

Forsyth got a new deal so it can’t be a case of being completely skint.

14 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Ryan Conway claiming he’ll be released once his contract expires in June. 

Is this an indicator  that we’re that skint we can’t even offer him reduced terms??

Or why would you offer a contract to start from 1 June when it is possible that we might not play another game until 2021?

I'd go as far as saying that Chris Martin is the only player we've got that can play effectively as a lone centre-forward... if we're not offering him a new deal, I'd hope that Cocu would have a few ideas for a replacement to fit in his 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formations that he seems to prefer. Even then, to get a proven Championship striker would cost a fair bit of cash... surely it'd make sense to offer Chris a short-term deal.

Im gonna hold the rant until June 30 has passed on this one. Given that there's talk of the season resuming before the month end it would have been daft of the club to give him a new contract until we know how the future of football will look. 

We would has been in uproar if we had given him a 20k a week contract only for the virus to mean the new normal is 10k a week in our league. 

Archived