Fulham (A) vs Derby - Match Thread

Comrade 86

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really no point moaning and being up in arms about last nights game ,,, we are not at the level of fulham and won’t be for a long time , as stated by another poster we have no spine to the team anymore and we are at the point of rebuilding ,it’s not gonna happen overnight as we have next to no or no players of the quality needed to produce the consistency needed in a promotion challenging team .

cocu is here because he has shown he can build a decent side and club structure from the youth up to first team at a good level of football given time , really can’t see much option open to us rather than adjust our expectations short term and be patient 

Here’s a few quick notes: 

-Lowe and Bogle should have a field day out wide as there was plenty of space to exploit. Hindsight is hindsight but it may have been a game for Malone who isn’t shy about getting crosses into the box early.

-Again on the hindsight front it may have been a game for Marriott to play as a poacher. Ie get crosses in, cause havoc and pick up on anything around the 6 yard box.

-Fulham were very good, probably the most awkward match we could have had after a good home win. It’s safe to say the fixture list hasn’t been kind so far on a side that’s struggled to find its feet due to injuries.  To be honest, looking back on the away games the one I’m most disappointed by was Barnsley Put simply, we’ve had very little fortune so far (although all this still doesn’t condone a disappointing performance last night)

-I still think one of the worst things Sky has done is put these games on the red button. Mid week games away from home are generally not entertaining games and tend to get over scrutinised, especially by those of us that tend to have an agenda. Again that’s not to excuse a poor performance but we can’t kid ourselves that we weren’t going to be on the back foot for large parts of the game last night.

We started the season with Keogh, Clarke and Malone as our preferred back four and Huddlestone dictating play from the middle. Loosing Shinnie in the previous game meant we were down to our current 4th choice DM (Evans). I'm not surprised we struggled defensively. 

Half our first 11 when the season started are unable to play and the other half are struggling for form - Bielik and Lawrence the two exceptions. We've already had 5 different CB partnerships this season, 3 different LBs and 2 RBs... Jozefzoon even filled in as wing back in one game and other players have filled in at CB too. You can also consider the use of 5 different DMs.

Until we finally manage to field a consistent team (the defensive 5/6) I doubt we'll see much consistency in our overall performances.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We started the season with Keogh, Clarke and Malone as our preferred back four and Huddlestone dictating play from the middle. Loosing Shinnie in the previous game meant we were down to our current 4th choice DM (Evans). I'm not surprised we struggled defensively. 

Half our first 11 when the season started are unable to play and the other half are struggling for form - Bielik and Lawrence the two exceptions. We've already had 5 different CB partnerships this season, 3 different LBs and 2 RBs... Jozefzoon even filled in as wing back in one game and other players have filled in at CB too. You can also consider the use of 5 different DMs.

Until we finally manage to field a consistent team (the defensive 5/6) I doubt we'll see much consistency in our overall performances.

Be quiet you!!!!!!!!!

Haven't you heard Coco is out of his depth! There can be no mitigating circumstances!

Despite losing the two performances against Hull and Forest were much improved, that coupled with the home form and the outstanding performance on Saturday led me to think we’d turned the corner, then we have that last night! Talk about back down to earth with a bump. It was definitely a step backwards.

It was always going to be tough, they’re a very good side. We started well and looked like carrying on from Saturday, Lawrence misses a great chance, then we concede an awful goal from nothing and that was it, we weren’t in the game from that point on. Far too easy to play through and 3-0 probably flattered us.

6 wins 6 draws 6 defeats (hope it’s not a bad omen) is midtable which is where this team is at. I think we may see more performances like this away from home until we can sort the midfield balance, too many solely defensive and solely attacking players and not any in between.  Bielik was a one man midfield at times, Evans couldn’t get around, Holmes too lightweight, Lawrence had one of his poorer games but is more of an attacker and then in Waggy and Martin you have two strikers. The loss of Shinnie cannot be underestimated!

We need some midfield signings or young players to develop or Shinnie back fit and always fit to improve away from home. As for what he can do now, consider playing Marriott instead of Martin away from home and encourage to run the channels and in behind - Martin may as well not been on the pitch last night - and Roos needs to come out of the team. Other than that he can’t change it a great deal. 

Whittaker was a big positive, Young and naive at times but clearly looks a talent. Reminds me of Rashford the way he moves (not that I’m comparing them)

41 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Despite losing the two performances against Hull and Forest were much improved, that coupled with the home form and the outstanding performance on Saturday led me to think we’d turned the corner, then we have that last night! Talk about back down to earth with a bump. It was definitely a step backwards.

It was always going to be tough, they’re a very good side. We started well and looked like carrying on from Saturday, Lawrence misses a great chance, then we concede an awful goal from nothing and that was it, we weren’t in the game from that point on. Far too easy to play through and 3-0 probably flattered us.

6 wins 6 draws 6 defeats (hope it’s not a bad omen) is midtable which is where this team is at. I think we may see more performances like this away from home until we can sort the midfield balance, too many solely defensive and solely attacking players and not any in between.  Bielik was a one man midfield at times, Evans couldn’t get around, Holmes too lightweight, Lawrence had one of his poorer games but is more of an attacker and then in Waggy and Martin you have two strikers. The loss of Shinnie cannot be underestimated!

We need some midfield signings or young players to develop or Shinnie back fit and always fit to improve away from home. As for what he can do now, consider playing Marriott instead of Martin away from home and encourage to run the channels and in behind - Martin may as well not been on the pitch last night - and Roos needs to come out of the team. Other than that he can’t change it a great deal. 

Whittaker was a big positive, Young and naive at times but clearly looks a talent. Reminds me of Rashford the way he moves (not that I’m comparing them)

I will never I understand (or perhaps grasp) why we feel the need to alter the way we play or are set up away from home.....we had a perfect game on Saturday where they team clearly,finally grasped their roles and responsibilities and get we tinker with it again against Fulham and wonder why it goes to rat poo.

Did we do this under Mac in 2014/15 or an I just imagining that we went balls out every game whether home or away?

I'd rather lose 5-4 than watch us losing 3-0.

Cocu needs a more aggressive asst manager i.m.o in the image of Paul Simpson to curtail his conservative instincts sometimes and push us on.I

We are lacking urgency and passion at the minute

20 hours ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

How Fulham played is how we aspire to be. Currently we are a long way off them in quality in most areas. Looking at our team dispassionately if we are looking to challenge we currently have two centre backs who shouldn't be in the team. Two fullbacks who either cant stop crosses or don't see the importance of it. We have a midfield who apart from Beilik is second rate and we have forwards who cant consistently hit the target. Phillp has a massive job on his hands.

Your post sounds harsh and yet you are pretty spot on for me ....This team needs an overhaul and it won't happen overnight....I really don't think the spine of the team is anything like right... a new GK,CB,CM and a strong more mobile CF who can do the Martin role and hold the ball up are required as a start i also just don't see Bogle or Lowe as good enough if we want to concede less goals. its very worrying that our goal difference is in the minus shipping 3 goals away on a regular basis now, maybe get Fozzy back to LB if we can get a CB or 2....

The home game against PNE was very encouraging but maybe Cocu has to have a rethink regarding away team selection

Rooney I think will make a big difference to this team as well as I don't think he'll let players go missing in away games.

Cocu has a tough task on his hands and looking at the re-run of the Leeds semi last season again tonight to cheer myself up a bit lol.....the Marriott 2nd goal was created by Wilson.Keogh,Mount and Johnson and those 4 players are really being missed now...Big job for our Phil to do....

8 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Cocu needs a more aggressive asst manager..... to curtail his conservative instincts.

Imagine trying to sell that idea to Mel.

17 hours ago, Archied said:

as stated by another poster we have no spine to the team anymore and we are at the point of rebuilding ,it’s not gonna happen overnight as we have next to no or no players of the quality needed to produce the consistency needed in a promotion challenging team .

This is the problem with relying on loans like we did last year, I get slated for this but loans are just not sustainable at the level we had last year. You can’t have a team that depends on loan signings, you have to have a base for the future. 

I loved last season and the excitement but unfortunately it’s left us where we are now, another season of rebuilding. 

Roos is a very inexperienced player at this level.

Bogle is in only his second season.

Lowe his first real season at this level of playing regularly, he did have the loan with Aberdeen last season.

Davies, at his age after a year out to be our first choice and in a style that doesn't suit him. Big ask.

Forsyth to play two games in 4 days having missed a year in a position he has only recently played for the U23s.

Bielik, not many games at this level but you can see he is starting to get in his stride.

Evans, been in and out with injury the last the last two seasons. Never been the most mobile.

To be going away to Fulham with that is asking for trouble. I doubt many teams in this league would have Davies as first choice, certainly not Forsyth. Yet we have both! 

I made similar comments when we had Clarke playing!

We can't expect to do much away from home until we have a defensive unit that understand each other and that is hardly Cocu's fault. 

As for our attackers. Misfiring. Waghorn has never been prolific in this league. Marriott has scored 1 this season. Martin just isn't getting the ball in areas to shoot. Lawrence has already equalled his best season. Holmes is not a goal scoring midfielder.

Our away form has been poor all year, not just this season. 

I say all the above, yet we should have been 1-0 up. Until we get the first goal away from home there will be too much pressure for our team to withstand, been poor for long enough that it has become a mentality issue also.

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

This is the problem with relying on loans like we did last year, I get slated for this but loans are just not sustainable at the level we had last year. You can’t have a team that depends on loan signings, you have to have a base for the future. 

I loved last season and the excitement but unfortunately it’s left us where we are now, another season of rebuilding. 

That's not entirely true though, you can use the loans as a short term fix if it allows you to project yourself out of the division which we didn't manage.

I doubt whether we would have even got into the playoffs last season without the loanees of Mount, Tomori and Wilson, where we missed a trick is not getting promoted with them in the side.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

That's not entirely true though, you can use the loans as a short term fix if it allows you to project yourself out of the division which we didn't manage.

I doubt whether we would have even got into the playoffs last season without the loanees of Mount, Tomori and Wilson, where we missed a trick is not getting promoted with them in the side.

we'd of been in the same position we are in now.

Archived