Fulham (A) vs Derby - Match Thread

Comrade 86

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad game, bad result, but at the same time I also can't bring myself to be that annoyed that we've lost because I didn't expect us to get anything away at Fulham. We never seem to do well against them anyway, never do well in London in general, and their squad is better than our's in near enough every position. Their starting XI's total purchase value is 82.8m to our 21.85m. Mitrovic alone cost marginally less than our entire 18 man squad tonight. Alfie Mawson cost 22 times as much as our entire defensive backline. I know that purchase price doesn't tell the whole story, but it certainly demonstrates the gulf between the teams. I mean, who from our team would dislodge their opposite player in that Fulham team?

Our away form is horrible, but in isolation I can take losing away to Fulham, because I don't feel like I can get too down when a team that is obviously better than us demonstrate this by outplaying us and beating us. Yes, there were some bad mistakes for the goals, and players shouldn't be immune from criticism for that, but in overall play we were second best and could have only really have hoped for a flukey 0-0 draw at best. Others may disagree, but unlike some games this season, to me it didn't feel like a game that we lost due to a lack of effort as much as one we lost due to a lack of quality.

For me, the bigger issue has been when we've played teams that haven't been better than us but we haven't been able to get a win against them. Games like Hull or Forest or Barnsley where we've matched or outplayed sides but not managed to get the job done are far more frustrating to me. Those are the games that have cost us and will continue to do so if we can't get it together.

Anyway, we're not in a position where we can't turn this form around. The only away game we've played so far this season that we won last season was Hull away, and substituting the promoted League 1 teams for the relegated teams and the relegated Premier League teams for the promoted teams we're actually, amazingly, 1 point better off this season compared to the equivalent away games last season. 

I'm hoping (perhaps in desperation) that this bad away form is in part because we're playing at grounds we struggle at anyway, and that this will improve against other teams. Our next 5 away games taking us to the end of January are at Blackburn, Reading, Wigan, Boro and Luton. I'd like to think that we can get a decent haul from that. I think we're more than capable of getting something against any of those teams so long as we turn up and play right. Hopefully our points tally for away games will look more respectable by the end of that run.

Tbh I thought we actually played ok for a large part of the first half. But when we work the ball up to the attack we ultimately lack  a cutting edge. 

Defensively we are naive and our style of play risks over committing the full backs. 

Both of these issues would be improved by the addition of two good wingers. 

Unfortunately I nodded off and when i came round we had scrapped the system, and randomly reorganised to 442 with five outfield changes. 

The players must wonder what on Earth they are supposed to be doing.

We did not compete in most areas. What a contrast to last Saturday when we pressed high and dominated the opposition, for 45 minutes at least.
Instead we conceded them possession in their own half. When defending we gave them so much space around our penalty area they had plenty of time to choose a pass or shot. 

There is a continuing mental frailty about our squad away from Pride Park, as shown by the limp response when we concede a goal.

8 hours ago, Jortat said:

Fulham were the better team but we looked nice and calm in possession and the little link ups were very nice.

Whittaker looks a great prospect  and Rooney coming in will compliment this team immensely.

But with the unstable Roos at the back installing zero confidence and our lack of actual goal threat it all points to a mid table finish , which is expected with the rebuilding required.

That being said if we get a decent keeper in January things could quickly change and we could skirt around the playoffs.

Its all about having a confident man behind our shaky defence.

Lets hope something happens in January. COYR?

Rooney in goal?

8 hours ago, Kennington Ram said:

Sadly somehow this isn't even the worst Derby away game in London this season! Sat grimly with my Fulham supporting brother in law this time. Brentford, Charlton and then tonight is the worst trilogy of consecutive Rams games I can remember attending.

1. Where is the midfield? I think we are at a point where through injury, bad existing fits and just bad signings we lack the players to play as Cocu would like. Bielik was our midfielder. Waghoen and Holmes did nothing to create play but were too deep to generate anything, and too poor to hold onto the ball. Holmes I thought was terrible tonight, bullied all night and exposed as a bit of a one dimensional player. Worse, because Bielik stepped up to the playe he picked up several knocks that could well have taken him out the game.

2. Time for Hamer to get a go. I could forgive Roos for his slightly anxious command if everything was was done well... but it wasn't. What is Shay Given doing with him?

3. Where is the Plan B? I knew from about 10 minutes in how the subsequent 80 would go, but... nothing was tried.

Worrying. Glad the home form is good enough to keep us mid table, but if the club is to succeed I suspect 5 or 6 or those playing have no future beyond this season.

I’ve kept quiet on the Roos issue because I don’t like to single out individuals but THAT is the question that must be asked. It’s just too easy to score against us from a set piece. 

Fulham must have been watching re-runs of our Rams team under Brian and Peter.

Those goals were reminiscent of the sucker punch corners floated in by Hinton or passed nonchalantly across the face of the goal only to land in the back of the net.

Verdict....must do better!

And don't just blame our goalie!

Just had my first glance at last nights action...

Can't believe these pages were on such a downer last night!

Goal 1:  A pin-point bullet cross, and their guy ghosting in from nowhere.  Very Bryson-esque.  You can't defend those!

Goal 2:  Corner whipped in, and a thundering header.  Very Andy Gray!  You can't defend those!

Goal 3:  Lightening reactions.  Incisive break away.  Very Mac 1!  You can't defend those!

Looking at the rest of the video, I thought we matched 'em!

WHAT?  

23 hours ago, Srg said:

Regardless of the result tonight, would be nice to build on Saturday and put in some kind of a performance that doesn't include getting our bellies tickled away from home.

Yeah, so... about that...

Only seen highlights but anyone saying Roos was at fault for all 3 goals and cost us the game, seems extremely harsh and is probably from posters who had already decided would be at fault if we lost before a ball was even kicked.

Goal 1 - no desire to stop the cross coming in, nobody marking Reid who was completely unchallenged. Roos positioning probably wasnt the best and he clearly didnt anticipate Reids arrival in the box

Goal 2 - 4 players around Mitrovic and he still got a clean and relatively free header. Martin misjudged the flight of the ball. Davies doesn't get a strong enough challenge in although in freeze frame it looks as though he is being held down by Mitrovic. Dont think there was a need for Roos to come for the ball.

Goal 3 - Obviously Roos plays a big part but there was still 10 to 15 seconds between his error and the ball hitting the back of the net.

I do find it funny when posters are questioning why we sent Carson out and why we are not recall him. They have short memories and, if they took the time to go back through the forum from last season, they would find a thread similar to the current one on Roos. 

It does amaze me how invaluable players come when they are currently out of the team or have been moved on. From what I read we would only need Marriott and Carson in this team and we would win the league with 138 points, over 100 goals scored and 46 clean sheets.

FWIW and I dont think I've seen it mentioned, the player who's stock should have risen most from our feeble away performances is Bradley Johnson.

7 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

We did not compete in most areas. What a contrast to last Saturday when we pressed high and dominated the opposition, for 45 minutes at least.
Instead we conceded them possession in their own half. When defending we gave them so much space around our penalty area they had plenty of time to choose a pass or shot. 

There is a continuing mental frailty about our squad away from Pride Park, as shown by the limp response when we concede a goal.

This.

Martin on his own, pissed off up front closing down with little support. Bring on a footballer in Whittaker and take Martin off for him to play football with Waghorn - why?!

Archived