Fulham (A) vs Derby - Match Thread

Comrade 86

Fulham (A) vs Derby

Tuesday 26/11 0 KO 19.45

Craven Cottage

After a very good performance against a Preston side who have proved hard to beat this season, another test arrives almost immediately in the form of Fulham who currently sit 4th in the table but remain in hailing distance having only 5 points more than Derby. 

On paper, a tough task but Fulham have yet to really hit their straps given the wealth of talent at their disposal and Cocu and the lads appear to have turned a corner recently. Another false dawn or signs of a resurgent Rams team finally taking onboard what their manager expects of them? We shall see...

I think we'll see the same group of players involved with options a tad limited right now. Be great to build momentum with Rooney's arrival just around the corner but the manner of our performance is really key IMO.

1-1 is my finger in the air prediction. What say you lot?

COYR

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently, we only have 18 permanently senior players fit: Wisdom, Forsyth, Bielik, Paterson, Dowell, Waghorn, Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Hamer, Marriott, Evans, Martin, Roos, Holmes, Lowe, Davies, Mitchell and Bogle. I doubt Cocu's going to have two keepers on the bench, so unless someone makes a quick recovery for Tuesday it looks like there's going to be at least one young lad getting a chance in the squad for this game. I'd imagine Jozefzoon will replace Bennett and probably Bird in for Shinnie, both starting on the bench though.

41 minutes ago, JfR said:

Currently, we only have 18 permanently senior players fit: Wisdom, Forsyth, Bielik, Paterson, Dowell, Waghorn, Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Hamer, Marriott, Evans, Martin, Roos, Holmes, Lowe, Davies, Mitchell and Bogle. I doubt Cocu's going to have two keepers on the bench, so unless someone makes a quick recovery for Tuesday it looks like there's going to be at least one young lad getting a chance in the squad for this game. I'd imagine Jozefzoon will replace Bennett and probably Bird in for Shinnie, both starting on the bench though.

Me, me, me.... Give me a minute, I'll find my boots.

Oh, the youngsters. Ok, I'll step aside to give Sibley a chance.

I'm getting resigned to never making it in professional football ?

Against a fully firing Fulham, this is a match where you’d really be going into it hoping to battle away and come back with a point if you can. They’ve got some serious talent, we all know that. But, so far this season they’ve seemed to not quite be firing on all cylinders, certainly not every game anyway. They’re eminently beatable if we’re on our game and they’re not, so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that we could get three points here, and I’d certainly go into the game with that as the target (tho I’d obviously still take a point as a decent result). 

Team for me:

Roos

Bogle Davies Forsyth Lowe

Evans Bielik 

Holmes Lawrence Paterson 

Waghorn

Evans In for the injured Shinnie is the obvious call, only real option there that’s a known quantity. Did ok when he came on, so takes the starting role here. In terms of the changes up front, what I’ve done there is absolutely not a reflection on Martins performance on Saturday which was decent. I’m just a bit concerned about him playing 3 games in a week with him still coming back to full fitness, he struggled a bit last time we had a three match week from what I remember. Given we’ll likely be playing on the break a fair bit, I think the games probably quite suited to Waghorn, who played well after coming on Saturday too, so think it’s a good chance to keep Martin fit for the home game at the weekend. Nothing personal. With Waghorn up front, that leaves someone needed to replace bennett. Think Paterson deserves another chance, so he slots in there.

In terms of the match itself, we know Fulham are a decent footballing outfit - We really need to be on our game defensively to restrict them from playing their open game. Need to be playing the high press, and also making sure we don’t give them any space around the box- they’ve got more talented individuals than Preston who can pull something out of nothing. As I say, think this will be one of those games where we have to play a bit on the counter, so we need to be looking for those intelligent runs in behind. Obviously with the game being so close to Saturdays match, we need to make sure there’s no tired legs out there. Mustn’t be afraid to make more changes if a few players aren’t 100% fit.

40 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You are a serial tweet nabber.

Credit to the original tweet, although it’s a meme that’s been recycled for a few years now:

Forever plagiarising, I have no shame

My team for Tues

Roos: Another clean sheet, hate him all you want, better than owt else we've got.

Bogle: Solid performance on Sat - First choice so what do you expect.

Davies: Captain.

Fozzy: I reckon he'll be captain when Davies' contract runs out, a very solid performance on Sat.

Lowe: No Malone but either way he was great on Sat and got the joint MOTM (I still don't understand)

Bielik: Hope he's ok , seemed in pain at the end of the game. If he's a doubt I'd say Evans in this role.

Evans: Dependant on Bielik, If KB injured play Evans in his position and put Sibley in this role.

Holmes: Possibly his best game this season, a ton better than what we have seen recently.

Lawrence: He's been our best player since the incident, great to see he's letting his actions on the pitch do the talking and make up for what he did.

Marriott: Was shocked he wasn't in the starting XI on saturday although I can see the reasoning why Bennett played.

Martin: Top performance yet again and brings alot of creativity into this team, even if he isn't the bagsman he once was.

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Does that include the two play-off games? I'd be interesting to see what our record is against them in the league. I thought it was better than that! 

Yes.

The list of results since the 5-1 thumping we handed them are:

5-1 (W) - 2014

2-5 (W) - League Cup - 2014

2-0 (L) - 2015

2-0 (W) - 2015

1-1 (D) - 2016

2-2 (D) - 2016

4-2 (W) - 2017

1-1 (D) - 2017

1-2 (L) - 2018

Then the playoffs ? 

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Does that include the two play-off games? I'd be interesting to see what our record is against them in the league. I thought it was better than that! 

23W 20L 20D over our history.

4W 3L 3D over last 10 games.

Consistently pretty balanced.

Actually, to really ruin your mood @Nuwtfly as we drag you from your position of bliss ignorance, the last time we won away from home at Fulham in the league was 1969.

Since the league cup win in 2014 we've played at Fulham 5 times, drawing 3 and losing twice.

Before it there were 3 draws and 4 losses across 7 away games. A win away from home in the Watney Cup in 1970 and then the league win in 1969 was the game before.

28 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Actually, to really ruin your mood @Nuwtfly as we drag you from your position of bliss ignorance, the last time we won away from home at Fulham in the league was 1969.

Since the league cup win in 2014 we've played at Fulham 5 times, drawing 3 and losing twice.

Before it there were 3 draws and 4 losses across 7 away games. A win away from home in the Watney Cup in 1970 and then the league win in 1969 was the game before.

not listening matt leblanc GIF

Archived