Fulham (A) vs Derby - Match Thread

Comrade 86

How Fulham played is how we aspire to be. Currently we are a long way off them in quality in most areas. Looking at our team dispassionately if we are looking to challenge we currently have two centre backs who shouldn't be in the team. Two fullbacks who either cant stop crosses or don't see the importance of it. We have a midfield who apart from Beilik is second rate and we have forwards who cant consistently hit the target. Phillp has a massive job on his hands.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Only seen highlights but anyone saying Roos was at fault for all 3 goals and cost us the game, seems extremely harsh and is probably from posters who had already decided would be at fault if we lost before a ball was even kicked.

Goal 1 - no desire to stop the cross coming in, nobody marking Reid who was completely unchallenged. Roos positioning probably wasnt the best and he clearly didnt anticipate Reids arrival in the box

Goal 2 - 4 players around Mitrovic and he still got a clean and relatively free header. Martin misjudged the flight of the ball. Davies doesn't get a strong enough challenge in although in freeze frame it looks as though he is being held down by Mitrovic. Dont think there was a need for Roos to come for the ball.

Goal 3 - Obviously Roos plays a big part but there was still 10 to 15 seconds between his error and the ball hitting the back of the net.

I do find it funny when posters are questioning why we sent Carson out and why we are not recall him. They have short memories and, if they took the time to go back through the forum from last season, they would find a thread similar to the current one on Roos. 

It does amaze me how invaluable players come when they are currently out of the team or have been moved on. From what I read we would only need Marriott and Carson in this team and we would win the league with 138 points, over 100 goals scored and 46 clean sheets.

FWIW and I dont think I've seen it mentioned, the player who's stock should have risen most from our feeble away performances is Bradley Johnson.

From reading the match thread last night I expected the highlights to reveal a Roos horror show. This isn't the case and I agree with your assessment of all three goals. Anyone who thinks a 'keeper should be coming to collect over a crowd of 5 players for the 2nd goal is crazy.

Just woken up in London, enjoyed the beer and day, but the game

itself was poor, never layed a glove on them, only player to come out of it with any credit was Bielik, will not be going to Blackburn, after that save my money for Christmas, and as for Fulham they look like World beaters last night, or did we make them look that good 

So passive last night sadly until the last 15 where we showed a little more effort. We played against arguably the best front 3 in the league from what I've seen. All three with such contrasting styles. They were a decent side but we just didn't lay a finger on them at all sadly. 

Once we started to press a little and put them under pressure (simply a bare minimum expectation in any game) they had to start thinking about what they were doing. Otherwise they hardly broke sweat. We made it so easy for them. 

I actually liked Evans and Bielik in the middle but they came undone a few times. and were too square at times. When we switch the ball wide quickly and more direct this is so much better for us. Fulham did this constantly with switching to Kamara. Moving the ball quickly and directly works in this league. It's not long ball football its direct, positive play. 

Gave them two goals. Keeper errors and no confidence. It's not doing him any good keeping him in there at the moment. Astounding that we've got into this situation due to his perceived passing ability and Carson who would get in any other team in this league is at Man City. 

Whitaker came on and looked bright but what kind of message does that send to Marriott? I find it so frustrating with a player like Marriott that he can be such a threat yet the lack of game time must be killing him. I really hope it doesn't get to the stage where he's driven out of the club and the goes on to score a hat-full of goals somewhere else, simply due to regular game time. 

Sadly we will have to endure this for a bit it seems. As I mentioned previously in a thread if we can stay within touching distance (somehow) of the top 10 and bring in some quality players in the desired areas then maybe we have a crack at creating some form going into the final half of the season. 

Just now, 'Rambe33 said:

Whitaker came on and looked bright but what kind of message does that send to Marriott? I find it so frustrating with a player like Marriott that he can be such a threat yet the lack of game time must be killing him. I really hope it doesn't get to the stage where he's driven out of the club and the goes on to score a hat-full of goals somewhere else, simply due to regular game time. 

Agreed with you until this point. His form sucks, he's been given the opportunity many times this season and hasn't taken it. Why not breed through the youth and given them a chance? 

was there last night , so frustrating , if Lawrence had of put us ahead it could have been a different story , but saying that , you cannot give a team like Fulham 3 goals on a plate , individual and collective errors are costing us , and believe me its not just Kelles fault , last night both full backs were dominated , Davies or Forsyth never got the better of Mitrovic , midfield disappeared , letting Cairney dominate , strikers feeding off scraps , feel sorry for Martin not a decent pass to him all night , only positive was Whittaker , a promising 30 mins from him , we need to get this away form sorted , cant keep relying on the home form

If I was Marriott i’d be looking for a move. He isn’t going to get a regular place especially with Shrek arriving.

we need some wheeling and dealing

out - jozefzoon, huddlestone, Malone, Marriott, Mitchell, anya, Thorne 

in - two wingers, centre half, keeper....

whatever happened to swap deals?

29 minutes ago, RamNut said:

If I was Marriott i’d be looking for a move. He isn’t going to get a regular place especially with Shrek arriving.

we need some wheeling and dealing

out - jozefzoon, huddlestone, Malone, Marriott, Mitchell, anya, Thorne 

in - two wingers, centre half, keeper....

whatever happened to swap deals?

Agree with your outs mate , if we are not going to play Jack then sell him now while we can still get a decent price for him , both full backs worry me defensively , both were dominated last night , and it seems both are incapable of stopping crosses coming in , putting pressure on the centre halfs and keeper

2 hours ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

How Fulham played is how we aspire to be. Currently we are a long way off them in quality in most areas. Looking at our team dispassionately if we are looking to challenge we currently have two centre backs who shouldn't be in the team. Two fullbacks who either cant stop crosses or don't see the importance of it. We have a midfield who apart from Beilik is second rate and we have forwards who cant consistently hit the target. Phillp has a massive job on his hands.

2 hours ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

Not a lot right with the current set up. 

The Jack Marriott Love Brigade is quite funny. JM has scored once this season. ONCE! Played over 600 minutes so it's not like he hasn't had his opportunity... And the problem is, that when he is not scoring, he is not offering much.

I'm still uncertain is he able to make a step up to Championship and starting to doubt it more and more all the time.

2 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

The Jack Marriott Love Brigade is quite funny. JM has scored once this season. ONCE! Played over 600 minutes so it's not like he hasn't had a his opportunity... And the bproblem is, that when he is not scoring, he is not offering much.

I'm still uncertain is he able to make a step up to Championship and starting to doubt it more and more all the time.

When he isn't injured (which happens a lot) he has been selected pretty regularly. A lot on here think he has just been ignored just because. He has had his chances and he hasn't taken them. HE has done virtually nothing the last few games and I see no problem with trying youth instead.

Not sure I'm getting all the opprobrium cast in the full backs direction.  That Fulham forward line is as good as anything in the Championship and I didn't think they were embarrassed at all.  Even the first goal, Lowe is isolated up against Kamara and it's the positioning of the CB's and midfielders that make that goal even a possibility. I also thought Lowe was our most productive player in the final third.

In other news, did anybody else sit up in the second half at some of Whittaker's close control and think 'ooh he's going to be a player'.  For me with young players there's a moment when they make you think that they're going to make it.  Last night I got that with Whittaker.

I think the goals we have gifted away this season seem to be a lot worse than other seasons. Almost all are basic mistakes, no determination to stop crosses or shots or mark players. At home we seem to gift these opportunities less regularly but away it’s non stop. I understand teams like Fulham are good but they didn’t have to work too hard to get those goals last night.

Archived