Keogh Sacked

Nuwtfly

13 minutes ago, Finch said:

Spot on. About time we found new, competent owners. 

Couldn’t agree more. Mel Morris has taken us backwards with his decision making in all aspects of the running of the club over the last 4 years and this cynical sacking has the stamp of our chairman all over it. 

We need a fresh start.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Bristol City said:

Especially when they themselves say this,

"As we have said from the outset, the Club will not tolerate any of its players or staff behaving in a manner which puts themselves, their colleagues, and members of the general public at risk of injury or worse, or which brings the club into disrepute."

We don't know the full facts but I guess the starting pointing for him would be a case for discrimination.

Discrimination on what grounds??

2 hours ago, Uptherams said:

This is shameful. Kick out Lawrence and Bennett too. 

Don’t understand why, if you did something irresponsible in your job that meant you could not perform for 18 months would you expect to be kept on, on full pay? You’d snap their hands off for half pay. Greedy stance to take if he has been offered any form of deal. Still not heard his apology either.

4 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

I know a lot of you won't agree with me but I actually feel rather sorry for Keogh. What exactly is he guilty of?  Yes he didn't set a good example on that evening but Bennett and Lawrence were the ones who made the decision to drive and both are in their twenties and should know better. Lawrence had even attended a drink driving event prior to this. Yet Keogh is the one who was injured, possibly won't play again certainly not at this level which surely is punishment enough. Now he has the additional punishment  of being sacked. Meanwhile Bennett and Lawrence do some community service probably doing something  people volunteer to do in their free time and are back playing football a week later. 

It was a "Drink Aware" event (Not specifically "Drink Driving")

It was Mason Bennett (Most specifically not Lawrence)!.

Other than that, the highlighted sentence was extremely well constructed!  

52 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

Surely there can be no other option than a court case where I would argue he would undoubtedly win.
Two players who drive both guilty of gross misconduct and keep their jobs, clearly the act of misconduct determines the punishment not the refusal to take a pay cut

So you know what the ‘gross misconduct’ actually is? 

I don’t, but do know that in many standard contracts where the worker relies on their health to carry out their duties, it is deemed gross misconduct if injuries are sustained (which prevent said duties) and are due to negligence or illegal behaviour; it is therefore a sackable offence. 

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

He wasn't left in the car, neither was he unconscious.

He followed the other occupants up the road, albeit at a slower pace.

My guess, he told the other protagonists to scarper, and would follow at his own pace, proper Captains role being carried out to the end.

They'd have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for the passing emergency services.

excited john cena GIF by WWE

I personally think its the right decision to sack him but I would like to see Lawrence and Bennett sacked two as they are both crap players and more importantly are more guilty than Keogh in the whole ordeal.  It seems unjust for the least guilty person to get the worst punishment duet to his age and the injury he got, not the biggest fan of Keogh but a 35 year old Keogh would still offer a lot more than a Bennett ever could as long as he could still move properly after his injury.

Correct decision - he was captain - failed at every level to act like one.

as has been said - in what other role in life would you act in such a way, not be able to work for 18 months and expect an employer to give you full pay when you were responsible for not being able to play.

We don't know what's in the contract small print. There may well be a list of reasons for gross misconduct and sacking and the club can probably use its own discretion if a rule has been breached.

Hard luck on Keogh when the other two remain employed but if a rule has been breached then it's up to the club which offenders they sack and which they do not. Harsh but not illegal

I just worry about what effect this will have on the squad, it may go either way. Hopefully it will galvanise the remaining players but I wouldn't hold my breath

52 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

as for people questioning the legality in pretty sure the club would have been advised on what they can and can not do before acting. 

You'd think so, but then we all remember that court case against Sam Rush that Mel was so confident of winning.

1 hour ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

He got drunk not driven isnt everybody gonna make a mistake if they are drunk captain or not! Not broke the law its baalocks sack the other 2 

He has made himself unable to be selected by his decision in the terms of his contract that could be gross misconduct and there maybe other facts that we are not aware of . The other two have been fined the maximum by the club and dealt with by the courts. 

Archived