Investment Close

LB_DCFC

2 hours ago, SK47 said:

You're talking about a man that has bought Wayne Rooney to Derby County on the back of loop holes and cunning deals with the sponsor that allowed him to achieve it. There's never been a bigger signing at this level before and that's down to one man, Mel Morris. 

Investment I can imagine would be used to improve the squad to some extent, but I trust whatever deals Mels doing will be for the best interests of the club. 

He's a genius. ?

Rooney has just turned 34. I genuinely hope he still has something significant to offer on the pitch. We desperately need it. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Gritty said:

His heart is in the right place.  And he has committed huge sums of money to Derby

But - however well intentioned - the vast majority hasn't been spent well and Derby have not been well managed in my view during his tenure (His investment in the academy has been excellent and I hope that aspect will pay off).  Right now, we're certainly worse off than the day before he took over. We've got a less good squad than we had then. We've more than tripled our wage bill.  And the football club no longer owns the Stadium (which might not matter now, but could should the football club be sold in the future but not the stadium as we lose a revenue stream).

Of course it’s been well spent and we the supporters have had a great time - and actually we have been extremely unlucky at times not to get promotion - and we are not owned by some outsider whose sole ambition is just profit at the expense of everything else

Just now, europia said:

Rooney has just turned 34. I genuinely hope he still has something significant to offer on the pitch. We desperately need it. 

If he can drag out an extra 15% out of the other players all the time it will be well worth it and I think he will 

23 minutes ago, europia said:

Rooney was never the quickest so never relied on pace, yes he’s 34 but his football brain is far superior than any we have seen in a Derby shirt for a long long time. The more worrying aspect is the current players aren’t up to his standards and don’t anticipate the brilliance to come. Look at Pirlo... at Rooney’s age he was winning league titles galore with Juventus. If you’re good enough age is just a number, Ronaldo is 6 months older than Rooney.

38 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Of course it’s been well spent and we the supporters have had a great time - and actually we have been extremely unlucky at times not to get promotion - and we are not owned by some outsider whose sole ambition is just profit at the expense of everything else

1. In his first season we had McClaren. That was good

2. Season with Clement / Wassall (and the splurge on Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman) was not good in terms of investment or style of play

3. The following season we had Pearson (disastrous) and then McClaren (who rescued us, brought back good football, and was then sacked), then we were introduced to Rowett ball.

4. Rowett football was dire. Awful season

5. Lampard season was excellent 

Cocu season too early to tell.

I enjoyed football under McClaren and Lampard. I'll give Cocu time. We've had 2.5 decent seasons out of 5 entertainment wise (McLaren and Lampard)

45 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Rooney was never the quickest so never relied on pace, yes he’s 34 but his football brain is far superior than any we have seen in a Derby shirt for a long long time. The more worrying aspect is the current players aren’t up to his standards and don’t anticipate the brilliance to come. Look at Pirlo... at Rooney’s age he was winning league titles galore with Juventus. If you’re good enough age is just a number, Ronaldo is 6 months older than Rooney.

I don't agree actually, when Rooney was younger he was very quick. To compare him to Pirlo is a bit weird. Pirlo was always about footballing brain and speed of thought, Rooney relies a lot on physicality. They're completely different. 

1 hour ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Rooney when he first came on to the scene was absolutely lightening. He's definitely lost a fair amount of pace which is arguably the major reason he regressed so much over the past 5 years. He's still got a high level of technical ability, but his pace was one of the main reasons he's United's and England's greatest ever goalscorer.

14 hours ago, Gritty said:

2. Season with Clement / Wassall (and the splurge on Johnson, Butterfield, Blackman) was not good in terms of investment or style of play

3. The following season we had Pearson (disastrous) and then McClaren (who rescued us, brought back good football, and was then sacked), then we were introduced to Rowett ball.

I enjoyed football under McClaren and Lampard. I'll give Cocu time. We've had 2.5 decent seasons out of 5 entertainment wise (McLaren and Lampard)

Enjoying the football is paramount to me personally but there are others who enjoy winning at any costs so really his whole period has been excellent 

49 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Enjoying the football is paramount to me personally but there are others who enjoy winning at any costs so really his whole period has been excellent 

Eh? We've failed to get promoted every year. How is that excellent?

He's spent a fortune and we're no further on.

1 hour ago, Gritty said:

Eh? We've failed to get promoted every year. How is that excellent?

He's spent a fortune and we're no further on.

We may be in the same division, but surely we're further on as a club? The infrastructure, the Academy, the profile has hardly been better. 

15 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

If he can take a corner properly I would settle for that alone. Our corners are effectively goal kicks and have been since idiakez left! 

Fair point, but I'd sooner have Rooney in the 18 yard box for corners in the opposition half.

Unfortunately, this approach means we still needs someone who can put their toes under the ball to take it. Now if you worked on the till at Tesco and didn't know how to operate the card machine, I guess you'd be sacked, so WHY can't a professional footballer (in a Derby shirt) take a corner?

18 hours ago, Sparkle said:

If he can drag out an extra 15% out of the other players all the time it will be well worth it and I think he will 

So right. I’m sure he’ll play ok and add some cheer to some dark nights but it’s what he brings in terms of aura. Come on, you’re Jayden Bogle or Jason Knight ? lining up with England’s highest goal scorer, and multiple medal winner. no way they aren’t going to strut their stuff, bust guts ... huge and exciting challenge for youngsters. 

this is off topic but he is an archetypal street footballer - I think the championship might just suit his battling qualities down to the ground, despite aging legs. 

20 hours ago, europia said:

Paul Mcgrath was 37 when he signed for us when we was in the Prem!!! and he was a beast for us so i'm sure a world class wayne rooney will have plenty to offer in this league imo.

18 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Rooney when he first came on to the scene was absolutely lightening. He's definitely lost a fair amount of pace which is arguably the major reason he regressed so much over the past 5 years. He's still got a high level of technical ability, but his pace was one of the main reasons he's United's and England's greatest ever goalscorer.

He could be completely immobile and he'd still improve our team. Someone just carry him to the freekicks and the corners and that will be enough. Having someone who is a threat from freekicks again will be wonderful and it will be nice to have someone who can take corners as well (he even did an Idiakez at DC united and scored from the corner flag.) He won't need to move much to be more of a threat than most of our attack.

20 hours ago, Gritty said:

4. Reached playoffs won first leg of semi final.

Archived