Investment Close

LB_DCFC

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

Problem wasn’t the money, it was the turnover of managers that came in with different philosophy’s. Doesn’t matter what type of owner you are, but if you continue to change direction every year and dont get the foundations right, chances are, you are going to fail.

We should have followed the Swansea and Southampton models of a few years ago  - decide on a style of play then ensure that any subsequent managerial appointments are of similar philosophies to the previous guy in charge. Unfortunately we have gone from Clough to Mac to Clement to Pearson to Mac to Rowett to Lampard and now to Cocu - a rollercoaster of different playing styles if ever three was.

Not sure what some posters mean by foundations but one thing MM cannot be criticised for is investing in the development of our youth players - just look at the U18s success last season.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Gritty said:

I don't see how any of this helps.  Ffp limits investment that can be made

Maybe Mel has decided he doesn't want to / can't keep pouring £M's into the club every year. (at the current level)

FFP limits apply provided the majority of the loss is covered by investment, the limit is much lower if no investment is made.

IF Mel has decided he can't sustain the previous approach, this new investment helps us to continue at the current level of losses.

There seems to be some on here ready to spend the investment already,Can i play devils advocate.To buy an interest in the club involves purchasing shares from Mel, so whatever money involved becomes Mels. It be his decision how this is spent,who could blame him if he decides to get some of the £100 million he has already sunk into the club.

10 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

We should have followed the Swansea and Southampton models of a few years ago  - decide on a style of play then ensure that any subsequent managerial appointments are of similar philosophies to the previous guy in charge. Unfortunately we have gone from Clough to Mac to Clement to Pearson to Mac to Rowett to Lampard and now to Cocu - a rollercoaster of different playing styles if ever three was.

Despite this though we have consistently been one of the best sides in the championship over the last 5-6 years. I think people underestimate how tough a challenge that is to maintain a top 6 challenge over that time period. Not many other teams have been regularly up there challenging like we have over recent times.

I’m also not convinced you can plan and build for these things over a period of 2/3 seasons. Yes players can develop over that time e.g Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick but very often promoted teams go up because it clicks together. Usually led by a spark I.e signings - Stimac, Pukki at Norwich etc. 

Going back to the investment a previous poster LeicesterRam? hinted at Chinese investment, he seems pretty clued up about these things. 

49 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Depends on how it's used, say they buy a share in the stadium, that's classed as income so can be spent. It may be a massive sponsership deal, who knows.

Being a bit dim here but, how could buying a share in the stadium be classed as income? The club doesn't own the stadium.

45 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not sure what some posters mean by foundations but one thing MM cannot be criticised for is investing in the development of our youth players - just look at the U18s success last season.

Foundations are throughout the club, not just at youth level, youth level is the future not the present. Agreed that from the youth side he appears to be getting it right.

34 minutes ago, enachops said:

Despite this though we have consistently been one of the best sides in the championship over the last 5-6 years. I think people underestimate how tough a challenge that is to maintain a top 6 challenge over that time period. Not many other teams have been regularly up there challenging like we have over recent times.

I’m also not convinced you can plan and build for these things over a period of 2/3 seasons. Yes players can develop over that time e.g Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick but very often promoted teams go up because it clicks together. Usually led by a spark I.e signings - Stimac, Pukki at Norwich etc. 

Going back to the investment a previous poster LeicesterRam? hinted at Chinese investment, he seems pretty clued up about these things. 

But a lot of players that we spent big money on haven’t been part of a team that challenged for the top 5/6 - Butterfeild, Blackman, Albentosa, Camara etc....Players that may or may not have developed under the manager that brought them in but never had that chance.

Glad that Mel’s clearly been waiting this out to get the right deal. Investment was always the way forward, you get to keep the club in Mel’s hands but take some of the financial burden off him personally.

Looking forward to this, the club needs some good news and optimism at the moment. This and Rooney showing up in December could be massive.

2 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

There seems to be some on here ready to spend the investment already,Can i play devils advocate.To buy an interest in the club involves purchasing shares from Mel, so whatever money involved becomes Mels. It be his decision how this is spent,who could blame him if he decides to get some of the £100 million he has already sunk into the club.

Not necessarily - it might do, but the company (that Mel own the shares in) could in theory issue new shares that a new investor could then buy. The Board (including Mel) would have to approve, but the proceeds would go straight into the company issuing the new shares.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Being a bit dim here but, how could buying a share in the stadium be classed as income? The club doesn't own the stadium.

I'd have thought that as mel owns everything buying a share in the stadium could be done and classed as income as mel is Derby county.

I could be wrong though and it's me being thick ?

2 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

I'd have thought that as mel owns everything buying a share in the stadium could be done and classed as income as mel is Derby county.

I could be wrong though and it's me being thick ?

It would be income to Mel (or rather whatever company bought the ground) not the club surely? 

Sell the ground twice? now that would upset our friend in Middlesbrough. 

4 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Not necessarily - it might do, but the company (that Mel own the shares in) could in theory issue new shares that a new investor could then buy. The Board (including Mel) would have to approve, but the proceeds would go straight into the company issuing the new shares.

But isnt the company actually Mel Morris?

3 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

But isnt the company actually Mel Morris?

In law, not quite - the company has it's own distinct legal presence. The two things would only legally be exactly the same if Mel was a sole trader.

I accept that if Mel is the only shareholder, then he is the only one who could lose the whole value of his shareholding. But to try to illustrate the point another way, Somebody could sue the company, and if it ran out of money to pay them the company could cease to exist (go insolvent). Whereas Mel would lose the value of his shares, he could not in law be personally liable for any unpaid losses the company had.

?

3 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

In law, not quite - the company has it's own distinct legal presence. The two things would only legally be exactly the same if Mel was a sole trader.

I accept that if Mel is the only shareholder, then he is the only one who could lose the whole value of his shareholding. But to try to illustrate the point another way, Somebody could sue the company, and if it ran out of money to pay them the company could cease to exist (go insolvent). Whereas Mel would lose the value of his shares, he could not in law be personally liable for any unpaid losses the company had.

?

now i understand thanks

On 22/10/2019 at 05:58, Gritty said:

Just because there are new investors doesn't mean they choose which players to buy. It will be channelled through the same recruitment team as now unless they have a majority stake and then change.

As I've said above, we spend up to the limit (at least...) of ffp every year.  So new investors won't help us spend any more than we have been

Our problem isn't lack of investment.  It's been very, very poor (albeit well intentioned) investment

I don't know why people think this investment will be in regards to buying players and paying wages. To me it's almost certainly in regards to expanding commercial revenue. 

Archived