Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by David

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

How would they know you’d written it?

I’d hand it to all of them individually myself ideally but I never have and hopefully never will find myself in that kind of situation. And again, it’s completely different to my situation, I am my own entity and not in the public spotlight representing a football club so obviously it would be written by myself rather than get someone to ‘professionally check’ over it like these statements have been.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today will be the first home game I have missed voluntarily in what I would call the current era (i.e. games from the post-Clough 4-4 with Ipswich onwards)

I get that this is a matter for employer and employee, and that I don’t have a right to have any say in it at all. After all, although I have been a fan since I can remember, as was my dad before me, and his, and his, technically I am just a customer of this business.

Last Saturday I was so proud of the players and management for the way we won that game after such a desperately awful week. The fact that we did so with seemingly honest pros like Davies and Martin who had been written off by so many people just made it even better.

This week we have a player in the starting lineup who has an imminent court appearance which could potentially result in a custodial sentence. This is a result of deeply antisocial and highly dangerous behaviour, which took place at/after a DCFC event. Should I have a right for my opinion to be considered by the club? No. Do I want to go and watch it? Not today thanks.

Always a Ram, of course. Really hope we win today, and I’ll be back, but this just doesn’t seem right to me. I appreciate that others feel differently.

Both players statements will have gone through the press office whatever so they were  always going to be loaded with corporate speak and not sound like they came from the players.

Thats the way business is run these days off the cuff/unguarded comments are rare.

The only way you would know their true feelings on the matter is if you knew them personally or worked for the club in a role that involved being around the players.

Even a video interview would be scripted and practiced!

3 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

Punished him heavily don't make me laugh, no i don't think it is a sincere apology, it is a contrived PR exercise instigated by the club (that's glaringly obvious by the timing of the release) which will have been written by someone within the club and then Bennett posting it as if it a statement prepared by him. All done to lessen the pressure on him and the club today. As Jim Royle would say"apology my arse"

What apology would you accept. Turn up at your door?

It's not punishment to be fined 6 weeks wages, 80 hours community service and then still have to face punishment in court? 

Fook me, I've seen 2 people on their phones while driving to work this morning. I was doing dead on 40 in a 40 road works zone and people were going past doing 45-55. 

What happens if they all crash? What about the people who don't leave a big enough gap from the car in front?

Because if they crash and you want to talk about what could have happened and then punish them I imagine the punishment won't be much less severe. 

Would you accept Bennett's apology if it was hand written on bog roll to give it that realness feel or would that be him now guilty of thinking he can scribble on a bit of bog roll

People just want blood and something to be angry about all the time. I've got some news for people... you're all daft Bamfords too at times. 

7 minutes ago, nottingram said:

If they were released riddled with grammar and spelling errors we’d have the same posters saying it’s unprofessional that it wasn’t checked by the club prior to its release

YES!!! 

9 minutes ago, nottingram said:

If they were released riddled with grammar and spelling errors we’d have the same posters saying it’s unprofessional that it wasn’t checked by the club prior to its release

I can’t speak on behalf of others but I wouldn’t feel that way tbh, I’d see it as evidence that he’s written himself rather than sanctioned by the club

Just now, nottingram said:

Okay mate

As you can see there, I’ve made an error there by failing to put in “it” in between written and himself. Tbh I think anyone who criticises anyone else for their spelling or grammar on the Internet are dicks, I’d certainly call them out if they criticised either of the two for their spelling or grammar if they did release a statement with some errors in it. 

28 minutes ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Today will be the first home game I have missed voluntarily in what I would call the current era (i.e. games from the post-Clough 4-4 with Ipswich onwards)

I get that this is a matter for employer and employee, and that I don’t have a right to have any say in it at all. After all, although I have been a fan since I can remember, as was my dad before me, and his, and his, technically I am just a customer of this business.

Last Saturday I was so proud of the players and management for the way we won that game after such a desperately awful week. The fact that we did so with seemingly honest pros like Davies and Martin who had been written off by so many people just made it even better.

This week we have a player in the starting lineup who has an imminent court appearance which could potentially result in a custodial sentence. This is a result of deeply antisocial and highly dangerous behaviour, which took place at/after a DCFC event. Should I have a right for my opinion to be considered by the club? No. Do I want to go and watch it? Not today thanks.

Always a Ram, of course. Really hope we win today, and I’ll be back, but this just doesn’t seem right to me. I appreciate that others feel differently.

Always a Ram?

You're putting the actions of 2 people above a hundred (ish) employees and tens of thousands of fans.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do but I'm guessing if this incident had happened prior to a Wembley appearance youd still be there.

20 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Morris bringing shame upon the club again no doubt 

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Always a Ram?

You're putting the actions of 2 people above a hundred (ish) employees and tens of thousands of fans.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do but I'm guessing if this incident had happened prior to a Wembley appearance youd still be there.

That's the trouble with feelings, they're often not rational.

7 hours ago, Sexydadbod said:

I’d hand it to all of them individually myself ideally but I never have and hopefully never will find myself in that kind of situation. And again, it’s completely different to my situation, I am my own entity and not in the public spotlight representing a football club so obviously it would be written by myself rather than get someone to ‘professionally check’ over it like these statements have been.

Yes, absolutely. 

43 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Respect and Humility from Lawrence today when he scored. There are those who are angry at everything who want him to burn at the stake for his sins but we need to move on now once the courts have made the ultimate judgement on all of this 

Have to agree with you there. Although I've been quite vocal about my disgust on what went on, (and I wasn't even sure what the correct punishment should be) it needs to be left alone now at matches. At what point do we feel he has been booed enough? 

However unjust it feels that footballers seem to be untouchable, and get away with things the average Joe wouldn't whilst still enjoying unending luxuries, we can feel fortunate no one was killed and hope they use this to become better people.

I have to say I feel sorry for Lawrence. I do have a tendency to be too empathetic sometimes which isn't always a good thing, what he has been through cannot excuse his actions but is more understandable than the other two.

Men are largely expected to bottle emotions, man up and be tough. So to lose the person who often offers a softer side, emotional support and at times the hub of the family causes a multitude of problems.

I'm quite worried for him, he seems a mixture of this cool exterior but also mentally fragile so whilst at first I didn't care if people booed, seeing his reaction after the goal made me really sad. He looks lost and like he can't handle much more.

If he does something like last month again I will understand the anger but I think enough is enough now. I abhor drink driving - luckily there were no deaths and so I think people need to take a step back and let it drop. 

I know, I've amazed myself.

3 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Have to agree with you there. Although I've been quite vocal about my disgust on what went on, (and I wasn't even sure what the correct punishment should be) it needs to be left alone now at matches. At what point do we feel he has been booed enough? 

However unjust it feels that footballers seem to be untouchable, and get away with things the average Joe wouldn't whilst still enjoying unending luxuries, we can feel fortunate no one was killed and hope they use this to become better people.

I have to say I feel sorry for Lawrence. I do have a tendency to be too empathetic sometimes which isn't always a good thing, what he has been through cannot excuse his actions but is more understandable than the other two.

Men are largely expected to bottle emotions, man up and be tough. So to lose the person who often offers a softer side, emotional support and at times the hub of the family causes a multitude of problems.

I'm quite worried for him, he seems a mixture of this cool exterior but also mentally fragile so whilst at first I didn't care if people booed, seeing his reaction after the goal made me really sad. He looks lost and like he can't handle much more.

If he does something like last month again I will understand the anger but I think enough is enough now. I abhor drink driving - luckily there were no deaths and so I think people need to take a step back and let it drop. 

I know, I've amazed myself.

Good, reflective post.

Archived