Leeds United (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

3 hours ago, chadlad said:

Just watched the Sky highlights and disturbed by the number of good chances that the dirties created. Defensively we look nervy, missing a calm leader/organiser, perhaps a back 3 of Keogh, Bielik & Clarke would be worth trying.

How on earth we managed to steal a point is beyond me admittedly based upon those limited highlight. We need to build on this result...

I think their defeat in the playoffs is still stuck in the back of their minds unfortunately - they've had a few games where they managed to absolutely batter teams and still not win.

Against Swansea they had 62% possession, 21 shots to Swanseas 7 and they still lost that game. Against Forest they had 68% possession, 15 shots to Forests 6 and they drew the game. Against us they had 63% possession and 13 shots to our 4 and drew the game. Us and Forest both scored with our only shot on target.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wasn't it directed towards L**ds scummers?

The only time I saw him mouthing off some rude words they were directed at Josefzoon for not doing his defensive bit. It doesn't say much for team spirit when one player can bad mouth a team mate so strongly,

2 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The only time I saw him mouthing off some rude words they were directed at Josefzoon for not doing his defensive bit. It doesn't say much for team spirit when one player can bad mouth a team mate so strongly,

Or it doesn't say much for JoFlo, I mean come on he's been dreadful.

On 20/09/2019 at 20:07, Scrumpyram said:

Let me know if you find anywhere worth a look. We're going outnext Wednesday for a week.....?

We found a bar on the seafront called “Prime”... easy to spot right along the front. They have 4 TVs and can play most games if they’re televised. He added Derby County to the schedule board after we requested it ?? Beer is good and he kept giving us free Jäger (which helped during the first half!)

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Well, I didn't expect to come on here at the end of such a topsy turvy performance to find someone trolling everyone with a diatribe against Keogh! Supporting Derby gets more bizarre by the minute. ?

Onto the game. I went to Elland Road with zero expectation so to travel back down the M1 with a precious point grabbed in the fashion it was by 'our' Chris Martin was just magical.

I don't care that we didn't deserve it (how often have we said that about away sides at Pride Park?) but I do care about how shockingly unbalanced we looked for 60 minutes of the game. 

I knew Leeds were going to have the majority of the ball so I presume that was Cocu's thinking in again playing two defensive midfielders but when we still look so abject defensively it is clearly not working. Huddlestone and Bielik were so close together at times in that first half that they were almost tripping over each other while the Leeds midfielders waltzed through us at will. Add in the fact that Waghorn spent most of the half just in front of Lowe and there really was no get out ball for our beleaguered defence.

Given those circumstances, I actually think the defence came out with some credit. Yes, Leeds were wasteful, but Keogh, Lowe and Malone all played well and kept battling throughout. I felt sorry for Lowe scoring the own goal from a set piece that wasn't a foul in the first place, a cross from a player that was offside (how come Don Goodman has this special category of 'marginally' offside to defend poor officiating in favour of his preferred team?) and an unfortunate ricochet. 

The second half started as the first with Leeds hitting the post and then the penalty. Klich's miss was a huge let-off that seemed to wake up both the Derby players and Cocu.

Bringing Martin and Knight on gave Derby some much needed control on the ball. That in turn gave other players like Huddlestone, Malone and Lowe particularly the encouragement to push forward. I think it helped that Leeds were tiring too. I thought even so it was going to be too little too late but we kept plugging away and the equaliser, when it came, was oh so sweet.

I loved the fact that Martin himself started the move in his own half with a deft touch out to Lowe, Knight involved in the move that sent Lowe down the right while Martin himself steamed forward at maximum Martin-pace into the area. Paterson deserves huge credit for digging out Lowe's cross and just got enough on the pass to allow Martin to hit it first time. What a celebration! 

Ok, it wasn't a win and overall we were clearly second - or even third - best but we shared some passion and togetherness at the end of the game really for the first time this season.

Small green shoots but if Phillip can learn just a little from today and maybe encourage some enterprise from the get-go by playing only one defensive midfielder and a man up front who can hold up the ball and bring others into play in the next few games that painful first half watch will have been worth it.

Come on you Rams - you know you have it in you! 

Really haven’t seen anything from Cocu that he learns owt from what he sees in front of him. Today being a prime example. He never changed a thing till Leeds were knackered. He’s got a lot to do to win me over 

2 hours ago, Jayram said:

Christ he does drone on this bloke doesn't he? He's like a mate at work who once took half an hour longer explaining to me how he put a tent up than it actually took in real time.

Anyway Conor, jog on you boring twit and thanks for the point!

Respect, man, all i could tolerate were 36 seconds of his drivel

2 minutes ago, Mummy said:

Really haven’t seen anything from Cocu that he learns owt from what he sees in front of him. Today being a prime example. He never changed a thing till Leeds were knackered. He’s got a lot to do to win me over 

I thought all his subs did well?

10 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

I thought all his subs did well?

Agreed but surely subs are for changing how the game is going ,as opposed to changing how you are playing .otherwise they would have started.hence I think he started the wrong team 

There was a stat on sky early in the first half. Something along the lines of Derby winning a high proportion of games when they score first.

It made me wonder whether the opposite is also true (ie that we don't tend to win games when we don't score first).

If the second is true (and it may or may not be true) it would support what it often feels like watching us as a fan.

We go behind and it's scapegoat time - and we look like a collapse isn't far away.

Whilst they weren't always first on the team sheet Chris Martin and also Jamie Ward did seem to make a difference when we went behind. Maybe their nastiness I dunno - but it does feel like we need more to get heads up when we go behind.

I've just got in after taking the dog a walk. Out of the darkness a figure loomed, how the duck did you do that? said Matt the Leeds fan.  The question is, I replied is how did you do that? How did you turn you undoubted dominance into so few clear cut chances, how did you fail to take those chances, to such an extent that your goal was an offside freak own goal. At this point his Mrs appeared over his shoulder and mouthed don't wind him up. I did relent, only paraising the nonchelant way the penalty was taken before saying goodbye..

As ammusing as this was, and work should be a laugh on Monday too, we were pretty poor today. Our playing out of defence got into trouble, although this was predictable. Roos lookoed dire, Huddlestone and Bielik didn't work together, and we didn't keep hold of the ball at all.  

Martin look a revelation with his link up play, maybee part of this was they were tired and slowing, but he must be pressing for a start.

4 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

Nope at the moment I'd just like anyone so it's not like we're playing with ten men.

Looked at this post for quite a long time as I didn’t want to get into a pointless argument but at the same time couldn’t not reply.

All I can say on the matter is With Laurence there is a decent championship footballer in there, whether it’s where he’s played, how he’s told to play or just how it is and always will be... we don’t know. What I’m confident of is that Zoon is league 1 at best. We had no spark today and Tom has the capability, not every match granted but today we needed a player with that capability. All the posts last week about being pleased Tom was not eligible to play is so short sighted.

1 hour ago, sawley_ram said:

We found a bar on the seafront called “Prime”... easy to spot right along the front. They have 4 TVs and can play most games if they’re televised. He added Derby County to the schedule board after we requested it ?? Beer is good and he kept giving us free Jäger (which helped during the first half!)

Cheers. We'll take a look when we're out there.?

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

I think their defeat in the playoffs is still stuck in the back of their minds unfortunately - they've had a few games where they managed to absolutely batter teams and still not win.

Against Swansea they had 62% possession, 21 shots to Swanseas 7 and they still lost that game. Against Forest they had 68% possession, 15 shots to Forests 6 and they drew the game. Against us they had 63% possession and 13 shots to our 4 and drew the game. Us and Forest both scored with our only shot on target.

Marriott would get a bag full in that Leeds setup.  

6 hours ago, Xlor said:

Played and captained a side that failed season in season out. All those managers have failed too. My dog could play for Ireland. I'll sit down and reflect when you do. It's embarrassing you think he's good enough. Put the tele on, watch another centre half. You'll be amazed. 

And my dog knows more about football than you do. Obviously 

Archived