Leeds United (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

I thought Malone got decent support from us today. Played right in front of us of course and put in some good blocks. He'd got a valid point about both Zoon and the two offsides the lino didn't give. He was miles behind play for both of them.

So was Zoon...........miles away from the moon, his man, any other man, from a 50/50, from tracking back, from looking bothered and all the rest.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Those parachute pants would fill the goal!

You are on to something, to make it fairer in future relegated teams get parachute pants instead of payments.

2 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Good idea, so it’s like a handicap system

I didnt think of that but yeah, and they also have to wear side show bob boots.

10 hours ago, Mummy said:

Agreed but surely subs are for changing how the game is going ,as opposed to changing how you are playing .otherwise they would have started.hence I think he started the wrong team 

Let’s be honest Leeds are a good side and I hate to say it but they should go up,we are not the finished article by some stretch and performances have been mixed. Cocu needs time and I’m just worried some of our fan base just won’t give anyone time. We have just lost 3 players who are now playing well in the premier league and are almost impossible to replace at this level and the manager is having to learn fast about championship football.My only concern is I don’t think some of our players are good enough to play out from the back like our manager wants to but we did mix it up more 2nd half.

12 hours ago, Xlor said:

Andy Townsend and Clinton morrisons dogs had it away. I've got the puppy.

Ah sorry i knew you were talking cobblers. You only get to play if you qualify due to the grandparents rule. Both players qualified due to that reason but as their doggy offspring would only have their irish ancestry at great-grandparent level sadly they wont qualify.

14 hours ago, Xlor said:

Got some. We're still shat. Glad you're happy with poor/mediocre, I'm not. 

Genuine Question, Have read your posts and you say we should get rid of all the players so I am presuming you consider this season written off already?

No idea how old you are but even if you aren't that old to remember it an opinion may surely be formed. Do you think all of Jim Smiths squad in 95/96 should have been deemed not good enough and earmarked for sacking after 8 games?

15 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Bielsa hinting that first hour was possibly his sides best since he arrived...

"We played 60 minutes very good, maybe the best since I've coached the team. But the last 15 minutes was flat.  We couldn't control the end of the match.  When we lose a point in this way it's difficult to admit reasons why. But we started to play long rather than line to line."

Erm, Excuse me Mr Bielsa sir... that was two points you just lost, not "a point"!  ?

...And thanks in part to our generous neighbours beating Barnsley, we are now a very healthy 3 points clear of the drop zone.  Today just get's better, and better!  Who needs performances, with days like this!   ??

Think this quote from Bielsa is very interesting and perhaps suggests why he has had little glory for all his undoubted qualities.

Firstly, he suggests the first 60 minutes was the best Leeds have played under him. They have had some great performances over last season so that is high praise indeed. It may also explain why we looked bad...they were very freaking good. Imagine a team playing well against us eh?

Why did they play better than ever? We obviously were not on top form, but were not allowed to be as they were desperate to atone for the playoff semi. I'm sure that must have given them an extra life and were out for revenge.

And this is why there must be questions over Bielsa's Leeds. They have mental issues and/or are not able to keep going for 90+ mins. They were so tired/brittle at the end of a game where they didn't have the balls in front of goal.

I think our season will turn on that goal. Hopefully their season will turn too as the old doubts return.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I thought Malone got decent support from us today. Played right in front of us of course and put in some good blocks. He'd got a valid point about both Zoon and the two offsides the lino didn't give. He was miles behind play for both of them.

One of them was a free-kick wasn't it? Worrying lack of fitness for him surely

What Leeds are doing is reminiscent of Derby towards the end of Mac1. Dominating games, not getting results through daft defensive errors or not being clinical. Derby fans on here and other message boards were in meltdown at the situation. We have no plan B was the common cry. Then we won a decent proportion of games under Rowett and it was no good because the football was rubbish! In the modern game, nothing is right unless you get promoted and that honour will only be enjoyed by three sets of fans this year! Most Managers/Coaches can’t win.

Anyway as for yesterday’s game. The positives were the result, the last 25 minutes and the subs, notably Chrissy Martin for whom I’m delighted. I wasn’t expecting anything so it’s a point gained, we did well to stay in the game and Leeds for all their play didn’t create as many chances as Brentford for example so some credit has to go to the defence...possibly but debatable.

Midfield balance looked right as soon as Bielik went off. Doesn’t work with him and Huddlestone. Bielik particularly was dreadful, poor discipline in his position (or is this due to confusion between his Job and Huddlestone’s) and he looked lethargic and not interested. Hudds may not be able to get around the pitch but at least he was breaking his neck trying. I’ll put it down to a bad day at the office for Bielik but Cocu needs to address the midfield, you can’t play him and Tom. 

Martin benefited from the midfield changes whereas Marriott was forced to feed off scraps. That said Marriott needs to do more, if not Martin could find himself in the starting lineup - but play a midfield like we had for most of the game yesterday - there’s no point playing Martin.

Holmes was poor but he’ll be better in future games. Knight is pushing for a start and id be tempted to give Dowell another go.

Paterson looked good when he came on he starts the next game for me. Flo Jo has had enough chances now and disappointed yet again. Lawrence has also got to come back. We have options but got to get the midfield balance right or we’ll go nowhere.

The first 45 mins was as bad as I’ve seen in years and we can’t afford many performances like that. Play like the last 25 mins, then we have 6 games now that are very winnable, a good haul of points and things will look very different. 

22 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

That’s it, so they have a big pay out from the prem but to make it fairer they all wear parachute pants to slow them down and bob boots 

And side show bob wigs too.

Looking at the game again, I still feel our tactics were totally wrong from the kick off. We cannot play out from the back with these players and a high pressing team. It was a minor miracle we weren't 3 down at half time. Thank goodness for Bamford!

Having said that, their goal was offside from a free kick that should never have been given. So maybe Cocu was right, it just didn't feel like it.

Will he start against Brum with the team that finished at Leeds, I suspect not and we have the inevitable return of Lawrence to delight us. 

10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I don't understand any of that.

Are you sure you're not from Leeds ?

I love stats and forecasts and all that stuff but I find Expected goals the most useless predictor ever. Too many variables particularly if the defence is packed. Its a bit like saying a shot in box has a 1 in 5 of maybe getting through to keeper who has a 1 in 10 chance of stopping it if its near the post. Who hits it is largely irrelevant in most cases. Unless its Bamford who will miss!

52 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Looking at the game again, I still feel our tactics were totally wrong from the kick off...

What also was not really exploited until after Martin came on, was how dodgy in the air their keeper could be. The Sky commo team were emphasising how he wants to come off his line and claim EVERYTHING but he's well error prone. 

Archived