Leeds United (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Just watching the highlights back and pretty sure their goal has an offside in the build up? 

Yeah it was offside, if we had VAR it would have I think, well certainly based on yesterdays VAR against spurs

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a few posters don't think it was a free-kick for Leeds which led to their goal (scored by us). I have to say I disagree. For me it was a foul - Marriott didn't get anything of the ball. Sometimes you get away with it but I have no complaints that the Ref gave a foul.

I do think that Refs have to be more aware of shirt pulling at corners though. We definitely should have had a penalty IMO.

Summing up the game and reading Phillip Cocu comments printed in todays Sunday Mirror. Leeds utd are a 75minute team, their style of fast hard pressing on and off the ball takes its toll and they hit the wall around the 75th minute. Cocu stated that to the players at half time about staying in the game at 1-0 down and we will get our chances late in the game. I fear Bielsa's way of playing will undo them again this season, if you look at his past record with other club sides, it seems they all run out of steam at the tail end of games and their season. We need to adapt to only one holding player when playing similar teams to Leeds, the high up field of their pressing also means we need to mix it up a bit and not try and play out from the back all the time. Cardiff City style will do better against Leeds, because if they push up against them, they will play the big hoof up the field and catch them out at the back.

Although we haven't been brilliant this season, we haven't had much luck with referees. Albion's late penalty was a blatent dive, Cardiff's was immediately after we should have had one ourselves. Yesterday, a number of decisions went against us. 

I don't think we know our best team yet, hopefully with Bogle's return, we will find out. The team will be more balanced both side to side and front to back. 12 months ago, I would never have thought that he would be such a key player for us. 

Look how many assists he had last season and then think how many other goals were at result of his forward play. His outlet on the right takes the pressure off the defence, even when it doesn't result in a goal. 

2 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Summing up the game and reading Phillip Cocu comments printed in todays Sunday Mirror. Leeds utd are a 75minute team, their style of fast hard pressing on and off the ball takes its toll and they hit the wall around the 75th minute. Cocu stated that to the players at half time about staying in the game at 1-0 down and we will get our chances late in the game. I fear Bielsa's way of playing will undo them again this season, if you look at his past record with other club sides, it seems they all run out of steam at the tail end of games and their season. We need to adapt to only one holding player when playing similar teams to Leeds, the high up field of their pressing also means we need to mix it up a bit and not try and play out from the back all the time. Cardiff City style will do better against Leeds, because if they push up against them, they will play the big hoof up the field and catch them out at the back.

Nothing to fear here, this makes it ten times more amusing!

5 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Swansea also nabbed a goal right at the death. To be honest, I think every team now will approach Leeds with "let tge wear themselves out for 75 minutes then go for it because they'll be knackered" which as long as you keep them from running away with it, will see a fair few not as good teams nab something.

I remember watching a game years and years ago when we were in the Prem, Carbonari days,  we were on the downward slide. it was Arsenal or Man U - I forget. We bust a gut in the opening 25 mins, fought tooth an nail, chasing everything down and holding them to 0-0. My sage old mate who'd watched every game that year said .. "It looks good but there is no way we can keep this up for 90 minutes, we'll run out of steam" … we did and I think it ended up 0-3. The lads had burned everything in the first hour, the tanks ran dry … it happens, and if you haven't got a cushion then you get done 

59 minutes ago, JfR said:

Leeds United's upload of the highlights does tremendously well at demonstrating quite how hard they got poohoused yesterday. 2 minutes of Leeds chances, then Martin for about 5 seconds at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8QCEzLWEkk
(Leeds don't allowed embedding of videos, unfortunately)

Sorry, can't give Leeds the views. Feels dirty

4 hours ago, jono said:

I remember watching a game years and years ago when we were in the Prem, Carbonari days,  we were on the downward slide. it was Arsenal or Man U - I forget. We bust a gut in the opening 25 mins, fought tooth an nail, chasing everything down and holding them to 0-0. My sage old mate who'd watched every game that year said .. "It looks good but there is no way we can keep this up for 90 minutes, we'll run out of steam" … we did and I think it ended up 0-3. The lads had burned everything in the first hour, the tanks ran dry … it happens, and if you haven't got a cushion then you get done 

Arsenal  mi owd

From Phil Hay's match report in The Athletic

"Last season’s playoff semi-final was Derby County’s moment and they left their mark on Elland Road in more ways than one.
Champagne went everywhere, soaking manager Frank Lampard, and the away dressing room took a hammering: broken ceiling tiles, rubbish everywhere, a dubious brown substance on the floor. Leeds United cleaned up and chose to make nothing of it, for fear of being seen to suck on sour grapes."

?

1 hour ago, desirelines said:

From Phil Hay's match report in The Athletic

"Last season’s playoff semi-final was Derby County’s moment and they left their mark on Elland Road in more ways than one.
Champagne went everywhere, soaking manager Frank Lampard, and the away dressing room took a hammering: broken ceiling tiles, rubbish everywhere, a dubious brown substance on the floor. Leeds United cleaned up and chose to make nothing of it, for fear of being seen to suck on sour grapes."

?

Jodi?

10 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

Quite a few posters don't think it was a free-kick for Leeds which led to their goal (scored by us). I have to say I disagree. For me it was a foul - Marriott didn't get anything of the ball. Sometimes you get away with it but I have no complaints that the Ref gave a foul.

I do think that Refs have to be more aware of shirt pulling at corners though. We definitely should have had a penalty IMO.

Yes there seems to have been a bit more awareness of the shirt pulling issue, probably in games implementing VAR. If the rule were to be applied, where a foul is given for shirt pulling, there would certainly be at least 2 penalties per game. 

Just had a good look on the Leeds United forum, on the Leeds v Derby threads. They blame Beliesa team choice, Bamford's missed chances, the players sitting back etc. None of them mention what opposing fans, sports pundits are saying that their high intense pressing and fast play takes its toll and they tire around 70 to 75 minutes into most games. And if they have'nt put the other team to bed, then they could end up not winning the match. Other weaker teams in the Championship will get beaten by Leeds by them having scored enough goals in the first 75 mins of the match. I feel this game, having been shown live on sky as made it more obvious to other teams in the Championship they have a chance of a result against a side who will run out steam going into the last few minutes of the match. The stats don't lie, 1st half possession Leeds=70.5% Rams 29.5%, 2nd half Leeds 54.9% Rams 45.1% and for all their pressing and possession they only had 5 shots on target. Derby only had one and brilliantly taken by the forgotten man.

4 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Just had a good look on the Leeds United forum, on the Leeds v Derby threads. They blame Beliesa team choice, Bamford's missed chances, the players sitting back etc. None of them mention what opposing fans, sports pundits are saying that their high intense pressing and fast play takes its toll and they tire around 70 to 75 minutes into most games. And if they have'nt put the other team to bed, then they could end up not winning the match. Other weaker teams in the Championship will get beaten by Leeds by them having scored enough goals in the first 75 mins of the match. I feel this game, having been shown live on sky as made it more obvious to other teams in the Championship they have a chance of a result against a side who will run out steam going into the last few minutes of the match. The stats don't lie, 1st half possession Leeds=70.5% Rams 29.5%, 2nd half Leeds 54.9% Rams 45.1% and for all their pressing and possession they only had 5 shots on target. Derby only had one and brilliantly taken by the forgotten man.

To add to that, the shot stats were the same for both sides in the second half: 4 shots, 1 on target for both of us. Leeds also didn't have a shot from open play from 60 minutes onwards, only having the penalty after that point.

Can't argue with the result,we should have been dead and buried in the first half,and were sincerely blessed by the the penalty miss.

We looked a shambles at the back ,with no outlet to release the ball and pressure and if we had lost 2 or 3 nil  i couldn't have complained. We rode our luck against a team that is riding high and playing  good football against a team with some very good individuals.

We have yet to find out feet under Cocu ,for what ever reasons be it players adapting, Cocu  on a learning curve or players missing.

An easier few matches on paper and hopefully we will see an overall improvement in league position and performances but a good point won yesterday which I didn't expect at any time before or during the game.

Up the Rams

On 22/09/2019 at 09:15, ariotofmyown said:

Think this quote from Bielsa is very interesting and perhaps suggests why he has had little glory for all his undoubted qualities.

Firstly, he suggests the first 60 minutes was the best Leeds have played under him. They have had some great performances over last season so that is high praise indeed. It may also explain why we looked bad...they were very freaking good. Imagine a team playing well against us eh?

Why did they play better than ever? We obviously were not on top form, but were not allowed to be as they were desperate to atone for the playoff semi. I'm sure that must have given them an extra life and were out for revenge.

And this is why there must be questions over Bielsa's Leeds. They have mental issues and/or are not able to keep going for 90+ mins. They were so tired/brittle at the end of a game where they didn't have the balls in front of goal.

I think our season will turn on that goal. Hopefully their season will turn too as the old doubts return.

It was noticeable how Leeds were already tiring towards the end of the 1st half (around the 38 minute mark). They stopped the high press, sat off and allowed us to grow into the game a bit... must have been encouraging for our players knowing the same will happen in the second half.

11 hours ago, europia said:

Yes there seems to have been a bit more awareness of the shirt pulling issue, probably in games implementing VAR. If the rule were to be applied, where a foul is given for shirt pulling, there would certainly be at least 2 penalties per game. 

Love the Sky commentator/analyst ( probably Goodman ) saying when  Clarke was being pulled back by his shirt  in the penalty area when we had a corner. " the player isn't complaining about it  " !!!!! This wasn't the worst or most obvious case of shirt pulling by the Leeds defence defending in their penalty area.

Archived