January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

2 hours ago, EraniosSocks said:

In all seriousness, should be looking at people like that Laurent that just played for Shrewsbury, fantastic performance from the lad. 

Didn't make the grade at Wigan, may be decent but would rather our scouting team took their time over these kinds of players.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Cocu said defense and attack are our priority so any day now.

Mel also said we had been 'working on our targets for a while' and he expects deals to happen...would Mel lie to us?

Any day now.

Mel said this at Barnsley “the next couple of weeks” it’s now right at the end of the window 

Think they have already written the speech for after the Stoke game.  We tried very hard behind the scenes to sign someone , but for one reason or another, it didn't work. we didn't want to get just anyone, we wanted players who could help improve us. It wasn't to be so we will carry on with what we have, and give the academy to express their insight on becoming regulars

8 minutes ago, Topram said:

Mel said this at Barnsley “the next couple of weeks” it’s now right at the end of the window 

A part of me thinks it would be funny to not sign anyone just to see your reaction on here. You have been steadily building to a crescendo nicely over the last few weeks and I for one would love to see your final act.

2 minutes ago, KBB said:

A part of me thinks it would be funny to not sign anyone just to see your reaction on here. You have been steadily building to a crescendo nicely over the last few weeks and I for one would love to see your final act.

Cheers pal??

When Friday rolls around and we still haven’t signed anyone, the club will post the ‘Are you not entertained?’ meme of Russell Crowe in Gladiator.

And of course, it won’t be the original.

It will be Rooney’s face, not Crowe’s...

One thing is for sure regarding transfer windows ..especially the jan one ...it is totally ruined by greedy agents...they say to players don’t sign at start of window wait until the end as teams  get injuries and lose form etc and the player can get more and the agents of course ...only 22 deals so far across 12 clubs ...the window is a joke ...if there was no window then players would not have the option to hang on and the greedy agents would lose out there is no way an agent would say ..” yes great go and sign in the first week of the window “ so everyone is held to ransom at the end ...why can’t we trade all season ?? I’m all for players getting paid what they deserve but agents give me the raving hump ....why don’t they just have a last day window and get it over and done with as it’s not a month it’s literally the last day or day before ....our recruitment team isn’t great but the window is a total joke and the only losers are the clubs ...rant over 

We were told that we would be getting our business done early & that we've been tracking/working on our targets for a while. 

I understand that things change, but it just underlines our incompetency at getting results. If we were one of the best teams in the world and finding better players at the right price was truly a difficult process then I would understand. It just comes down to people not doing their jobs. 

7 hours ago, S8TY said:

One thing is for sure regarding transfer windows ..especially the jan one ...it is totally ruined by greedy agents...they say to players don’t sign at start of window wait until the end as teams  get injuries and lose form etc and the player can get more and the agents of course ...only 22 deals so far across 12 clubs ...the window is a joke ...if there was no window then players would not have the option to hang on and the greedy agents would lose out there is no way an agent would say ..” yes great go and sign in the first week of the window “ so everyone is held to ransom at the end ...why can’t we trade all season ?? I’m all for players getting paid what they deserve but agents give me the raving hump ....why don’t they just have a last day window and get it over and done with as it’s not a month it’s literally the last day or day before ....our recruitment team isn’t great but the window is a total joke and the only losers are the clubs ...rant over 

I like our system in NRL, season starts late March and signings are allowed up to June 30. After that you’ve got what you’ve got till the end of the season. Keep in mind we run under a salary cap of $10 million dollars so any incomings and outgoings have to fit in that cap. As well you are allowed only a 30 man squad + 6 development players.

12 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Cocu said defense and attack are our priority so any day now.

Mel also said we had been 'working on our targets for a while' and he expects deals to happen...would Mel lie to us?

Any day now.

MM just waiting for 32Red to come up with more cash to sponsor another ex England International, it's the only way we will get anyone in.

11 hours ago, Ambitious said:

We were told that we would be getting our business done early & that we've been tracking/working on our targets for a while. 

I understand that things change, but it just underlines our incompetency at getting results. If we were one of the best teams in the world and finding better players at the right price was truly a difficult process then I would understand. It just comes down to people not doing their jobs. 

It wouldn't have been so bad if Cocu and Mel had both not said anything, rather than both being so vocal about the fact we would be strengthening, had targets lined up and would be doing the business early.

Clearly Mel was super confident that the investment would be in place to give us the funds (as John Percy had mentioned more than once), but it didn't come to fruition.

Cocu must be so frustrated, he has joined a right shower this season.

22 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It wouldn't have been so bad if Cocu and Mel had both not said anything, rather than both being so vocal about the fact we would be strengthening, had targets lined up and would be doing the business early.

Clearly Mel was super confident that the investment would be in place to give us the funds (as John Percy had mentioned more than once), but it didn't come to fruition.

Cocu must be so frustrated, he has joined a right shower this season.

It comes down to one thing: we, as a club, must've been confident that we had our ducks in order and it was going to be a swift process. For me, the fact that it hasn't, just highlights how truly unprepared we are for adversity. It's shown me, in particular, that this club is run in such a limited way and will struggle to be successful until we have better processes - mainly in recruitment, but potentially in every aspect. 

Ccou has been handed a dog's dinner and told to form some sort of competent meal safe for human consumption. Unfortunately, I can still taste and smell the Pedigree Chum even if there is a good amount of hundreds and thousands sprinkled within it. 

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Our scouting clearly went downhill since Ince left also, so theres another reason to get him back.

Ince needed no scouting he's been known to many so he wasn't exactly un-earthed talent but you're right still better than half the names linked recently....I don't rate our recruitment team but a lot of this is due to greedy agents who will advise players to wait until the end to get a better deal....up to last night there was only 22 deals across 12 clubs in this window so far after 26 days....window is a joke tbh 

On 25/01/2020 at 20:09, ossieram said:

FTFY.

I don't need a boost and certainly don't need the club to be chucking money around just to appease the needy. I'm happy with our recent run of form and think the squad and can still do a job if they all stay fit.

This and a thousand times this.

Unfortunately the club built up expectations on the back of a flawed presumption of imminent inward investment. Then we had the ongoing EFL investigation and the investment not having happened. We're obviously in a bit of a mess and the very last thing we should be doing is making signings for the sake of it. As happened with Jamie Paterson at the end of the last window when all our other options evaporated so we plucked someone who's always espoused hatred of our club from Bristol City reserves. That went well.

I'd far rather we didn't bring anyone in than make a signing for the sake of it. Every transfer window I say if we're spending money I want to see a demonstrable improvement to the first team, not another body who may or may not start or make the 18.

On 24/01/2020 at 17:52, EraniosSocks said:

Swap deal for Lawrence; we can all dream 

I would absolutely love that.

Can't see Lawrence really turning a corner and making it with us now. Needs to be a no. 10 in a team that works to his strengths. 

Ince would be a better contributor, probably become our leading scorer, and could turn games.

No doubt we'll just get a last minute loanee.

Archived