January 2020 transfer window

oomarkwright

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Ince needed no scouting he's been known to many so he wasn't exactly un-earthed talent but you're right still better than half the names linked recently....I don't rate our recruitment team but a lot of this is due to greedy agents who will advise players to wait until the end to get a better deal....up to last night there was only 22 deals across 12 clubs in this window so far after 26 days....window is a joke tbh 

Sorry, I was referring to Inces mother scouting for us. We should have listened to her and put a 500k bid in for Mbappe before everyone else realised he was half decent.

28 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

This and a thousand times this.

Unfortunately the club built up expectations on the back of a flawed presumption of imminent inward investment. Then we had the ongoing EFL investigation and the investment not having happened. We're obviously in a bit of a mess and the very last thing we should be doing is making signings for the sake of it. As happened with Jamie Paterson at the end of the last window when all our other options evaporated so we plucked someone who's always espoused hatred of our club from Bristol City reserves. That went well.

I'd far rather we didn't bring anyone in than make a signing for the sake of it. Every transfer window I say if we're spending money I want to see a demonstrable improvement to the first team, not another body who may or may not start or make the 18.

@Carl Sagan has pretty much said exactly what I was going to say.

I would rather stick with what we have than be held to ransom and pay over the odds for someone who might OR might not fit in. (Been there and failed).

Also, do not react with knee jerk signings just to appease a few over reacting fans, in the hope they might or might not fit in (Been there and failed as well.

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It comes down to one thing: we, as a club, must've been confident that we had our ducks in order and it was going to be a swift process. For me, the fact that it hasn't, just highlights how truly unprepared we are for adversity. It's shown me, in particular, that this club is run in such a limited way and will struggle to be successful until we have better processes - mainly in recruitment, but potentially in every aspect. 

Ccou has been handed a dog's dinner and told to form some sort of competent meal safe for human consumption. Unfortunately, I can still taste and smell the Pedigree Chum even if there is a good amount of hundreds and thousands sprinkled within it. 

It takes 2 to tango , a selling and loaning club involved plus agents and players getting injured. Derby recruitment team only one part in the chain 

I’m not going to be wrist slashing if nobody comes in this window and certainly not desperate to get any loan players on prem wages ,yes the play off spots are reachable but from our position it’s a big ask and would need a fair bit of luck along with a brilliant second half of the season ,what’s the point in some loans? Now if the club brought in a player or two on permanent deals or loans with option to buy that could improve us and hit the ground running next season then great ,I’m all for it but really not fussed for short term loans at this point or desperation buys to appease the fickle 

2 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

It takes 2 to tango , a selling and loaning club involved plus agents and players getting injured. Derby recruitment team only one part in the chain 

Agreed, but that's adversity - we should've been prepared to walk away from the deal a while ago. It's a rerun of the summer window where we ended up with Hamer and Paterson on deadline day. It just screams of desperation. 

I personally don't see the point in loan players this January anyway, we should've used it smartly to bring players in that could use the next few months to integrate with the team. I know people have their own thoughts on it, but recruitment can/would have the biggest impact for Derby and we're so insanely poor at it that this club stands little chance. 

When Mel looks back at his time as Derby owner, unless he changes it then it reign supremely over all else as his greatest disappointment. How many players have we signed in just the past three years that have now increased their value - a couple, three... maybe? He's throwing good money at bad recommendations and strategies. I feel sorry for the bloke, but at this point he's almost complicate as he hasn't changed anything. 

1 hour ago, Richard246 said:

2million + flo jo for Tom ince bring him home.

We couldn’t afford his wages or his parents 

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Our scouting clearly went downhill since Ince left also, so theres another reason to get him back.

Erm - Ince needed no scouting and we suited him 433 and good players to give him the ball and sure we probably needed to sell him but Huddersfield and stoke have been rubbish for him apart from the large wages - very similar to Lawrence but more productive for us historically 

I agree not rushing into anything but we really do need a central defender cause we are very short in that position .... our midfield lacks a killer pass atm Holmes is improving but still too many of his passes/final ball go astray when a better pass would lead to a chance so those two on loan would be great but that’s about it for now and spend the summer giving Cocu chance to get a better idea what he needs to play whatever crazy way he wants to play 

18 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We couldn’t afford his wages or his parents 

Erm - Ince needed no scouting and we suited him 433 and good players to give him the ball and sure we probably needed to sell him but Huddersfield and stoke have been rubbish for him apart from the large wages - very similar to Lawrence but more productive for us historically 

Historically yes under a different manager, may not fit into how Cocu is striving to play. The Stoke forum seem to have mixed feelings about Ince, some saying he is good, others saying get rid not a team player

1 hour ago, atherstoneram said:

Historically yes under a different manager, may not fit into how Cocu is striving to play. The Stoke forum seem to have mixed feelings about Ince, some saying he is good, others saying get rid not a team player

You don't mean to say other clubs have diverse opinions on so called flair players as well? I thought it was only meant to be Derby that had rubbish fans. (Sorry, not a dig at you personally). 

10 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

I see Watford have declared that Issac success can go out on loan.. can genuinely see that as a Derby Signing.. but Vydra is also being let out on loan, would love him back 

Is Hughes getting a luck in under Pearson ? Wouldn’t mind him back..

3 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Sorry, I was referring to Inces mother scouting for us. We should have listened to her and put a 500k bid in for Mbappe before everyone else realised he was half decent.

Apologies Mackworth ??

3 hours ago, Archied said:

I’m not going to be wrist slashing if nobody comes in this window and certainly not desperate to get any loan players on prem wages ,yes the play off spots are reachable but from our position it’s a big ask and would need a fair bit of luck along with a brilliant second half of the season ,what’s the point in some loans? Now if the club brought in a player or two on permanent deals or loans with option to buy that could improve us and hit the ground running next season then great ,I’m all for it but really not fussed for short term loans at this point or desperation buys to appease the fickle 

Spot on...I'd be happier with Dickie from Oxford on a permanent than Benkovic on loan...whats the point ? as someone pointed out a few defeats and its mid table obscurity for us and pointless playing a loanee who'll be going back....

I think we would be more sensible sticking with the squad that we have until the summer, given that a) we dont know the full impact of any FFP sanction & the knock on effect on our breathing space for 19/20 accounts & b) we're nowhere near good enough to go up & dont look in danger of going down (unless an unlikely points deduction is imposed)

We're a bit short at CB but Wisdom has finally been given a go there & done well, plus there's George Evans to come back soon. Thankfully Bird's emergence should mean Evans isnt considered at DMC any longer & should instead be shifted to CB, where I actually think he'd suit Cocu's philosophy of playing from the back.

The only exception to the above is if we can land someone better than what we have, cheapish & who is going to play a part in the next couple of seasons. Unlikely in a January window though.

25 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

How about Jason Cummings from Shrewsbury, "The Cum Dog". Put 2 past Liverpool and has the best nickname ever. Love to hear the songs!

image.thumb.png.e822ea8d3c57b35f45ffbd993d8621fa.png

Reckon he would pull the team together and have the Dark Fruits seal of approval.

Yet another forest reject 

Archived