Chris Martin fitness

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:34, Ellafella said:

Remember Biley & Swindlehirst? 

I will be really interested to see if the Martin / Marriott link becomes thing in some games.

Martin has his flaws, when starved of service he was worse than useless, his lack of pace was exposed so as a loner up top he was doubly isolated. He isn't a player who can hunt for a ball on his own like Waggy or Nuge. BUT give him a whippet like Marriott close to him and suddenly he could be a very different player. 

14 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Our Chrissy has played a role in 3 out of 4 Pre season goals so far. Anyone suggesting he has no place in the squad for this year needs checking. 

He might not score bagful and might not be the fastest, but we've got 6/7 attacking players (possibly more counting midfielders) that thrive off layoffs to take shots from 20+ yards. 

Well said!

If you were to choose your starting 11 now going off of how good each player has looked in pre season then Martin has to be in it. Hes been better than Waghorn so far IMO and Marriott and Bennett have scored goals playing off of him.

In Bennetts interview he praises Martin and the effectiveness he has. Your point is spot on above Marriott, Bennett, Lawrence, Dowell, Waghorn and Jozefzoon would all thrive off of lay offs from Martin.

Hes been good lets see how he progresses from here.

He was and I assume he still is one of the best defensive headers at set pieces we have covering that front post area. Martin with Marriott should be a very useful combination and mix that up with waghorn and Bennett and we have strength and power and pace in the right places.

13 minutes ago, jono said:

I will be really interested to see if the Martin / Marriott link becomes thing in some games.

Martin has his flaws, when starved of service he was worse than useless, his lack of pace was exposed so as a loner up top he was doubly isolated. He isn't a player who can hunt for a ball on his own like Waggy or Nuge. BUT give him a whippet like Marriott close to him and suddenly he could be a very different player. 

Absolutely. He’s a great guy to have around...a senior figure who is great for the younger players. 

7 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Not sure what your point is or why you needed the caps but Thorne and Huddlestone played the same half

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/07/marriott-brace-seals-victory-in-first-pre-season-friendly

My point was - They played next to each other for 45 mins and Thorne seemed to be playing the more incisive balls (in the highlights)

soz i musta been dreaming

10 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

We have opapions in attacking formations but for me were just missing a good free kick taker.

With the current options we have, I would suggest we might need a good kick-off taker. I would say we are 4 decent players away from being competitive.

On 15/07/2019 at 07:35, Dimmu said:

Looks like Cocu is ready to use Martin, which is nice to see. More interesting has been the experiment with our runners, Marriott and now Bennett, playing as a second striker/number 10. Far from traditional and I like it. Maybe we'll see Martin more in away or strong opponents, as these combinations suits to 2 defensive midfielders and counter attacking better than the classical 4-3-3.

We'll see, but I'm bit more excited than before the friendlies.

Thinking more of this tactic, where the rel apex of the attack surges from the second row, I can only think of Bayern Leverkusen with Kai Havertz. If we would get similar contribution of Marriott and/or Bennett, I'd more than happy.  

5 hours ago, Boycie said:

He looks like he means business this year.  I always thought his little flicks would have complimented Marriott last year.

I would have liked to have seen how he linked up with Mount and Wilson too. Guess we'll never know as that ship seems to have sailed.

The treatment of Chris Martin in recent years has been nothing short of shocking from club and fans alike. I literally used to sit in front of a bloke who refused to celebrate when Martin scored because he hated him that much, and would remain seated. I'm 24 and started going to games regularly at PP when I was 10, so I've not seen many greats at PP but he is by far one of the best strikers, if not the best I've seen at Derby in my lifetime. Unplayable on his day. For his own sake I do hope he leaves and finds regular football elsewhere, I just cant see him getting back into the team unless he has a blinding pre season. 

53 minutes ago, Sam_DCFC_1994 said:

The treatment of Chris Martin in recent years has been nothing short of shocking from club and fans alike. I literally used to sit in front of a bloke who refused to celebrate when Martin scored because he hated him that much, and would remain seated. I'm 24 and started going to games regularly at PP when I was 10, so I've not seen many greats at PP but he is by far one of the best strikers, if not the best I've seen at Derby in my lifetime. Unplayable on his day. For his own sake I do hope he leaves and finds regular football elsewhere, I just cant see him getting back into the team unless he has a blinding pre season. 

I get what you’re saying but so far so good, surely? I think he’s had a great pre-season so far, he’s assisted or created pretty much all of our goals apart from Anya’s. He’s also done his defence duties rather well. I don’t think we’ll be expecting him to score, but I think he’s definitely got a part to play in our attack.  

8 hours ago, DazaDunn said:

I get what you’re saying but so far so good, surely? I think he’s had a great pre-season so far, he’s assisted or created pretty much all of our goals apart from Anya’s. He’s also done his defence duties rather well. I don’t think we’ll be expecting him to score, but I think he’s definitely got a part to play in our attack.  

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why on earth not? Especially if he gets match fit again. 

Yes, because Nuge didn't get any abuse when he was playing but not scoring.

Archived