Chris Martin fitness

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our Chrissy has played a role in 3 out of 4 Pre season goals so far. Anyone suggesting he has no place in the squad for this year needs checking. 

He might not score bagful and might not be the fastest, but we've got 6/7 attacking players (possibly more counting midfielders) that thrive off layoffs to take shots from 20+ yards. 

34 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Our Chrissy has played a role in 3 out of 4 Pre season goals so far. Anyone suggesting he has no place in the squad for this year needs checking. 

He might not score bagful and might not be the fastest, but we've got 6/7 attacking players (possibly more counting midfielders) that thrive off layoffs to take shots from 20+ yards. 

Interested to hear you name the 7 players that thive off layoffs from 20+ yards....

On 12/07/2019 at 09:10, cheron85 said:

Did you watch the whole game? I thought from the highlights he looked good - A couple of good interceptions, a couple of good passes and seemed confident bringing the ball forward - Seemed like most of the second half highlights involved him starting off the move (rather than Huddlestone) - But then all I saw was that 3-4 mins of second half highlights

he only played in the 2nd half. the whole team changed at half time THATS WHY you didnt see Hudds do anything

8 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Good last point, all about having a manager that understands his game.

Martin has done little wrong, he doesn’t have to change too much, which is what some coaches have tried to get him to do. I’m quite excited to see Martin back and believe Cocu will play to his strengths.

We have a striker that can hold the ball now, lay off for team mates an option we have missed. Yes he may only score the odd goal but looks likely to set up more goals than Nugent did all last season, if he can stay fit; yet will cost nothing! All of a sudden a revitalised, firing Chris Martin, with Marriott playing off, Waggy there too. Our striking options are more than enviable with a few wingers and midfielders chipping in.

All Cocu has to is sort the right combinations, the signs so far are Chris Martin can be a big part player given the chance.

Looks like Cocu is ready to use Martin, which is nice to see. More interesting has been the experiment with our runners, Marriott and now Bennett, playing as a second striker/number 10. Far from traditional and I like it. Maybe we'll see Martin more in away or strong opponents, as these combinations suits to 2 defensive midfielders and counter attacking better than the classical 4-3-3.

We'll see, but I'm bit more excited than before the friendlies.

10 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

he only played in the 2nd half. the whole team changed at half time THATS WHY you didnt see Hudds do anything

Not sure what your point is or why you needed the caps but Thorne and Huddlestone played the same half

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/07/marriott-brace-seals-victory-in-first-pre-season-friendly

My point was - They played next to each other for 45 mins and Thorne seemed to be playing the more incisive balls (in the highlights)

To me, Chrissy is an incredible player at this level and I feel he still has it in him to compete for a first team place this season. Yes he may have not been in good shape since he fell out of favor, but one things for sure and that is Chris plays with his heart on his sleeve. He loves this club and he's not one to consistently put in a half arsed effort. To have him in and around the squad will be nothing but beneficial for us and to have him as a third choice striker would be a very good thing for us. 

If he keeps up how hes been so far this pre season, I feel he will be pivotal for us this season. 

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

Marriott, Martin, Waghorn.

A top 6 strikeforce in this division.

Probably the best strike force we have had for some time. All different and could all play at the same time if doing a Mac1 and going all out!

31 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Dowell makes 8.

32 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Dowell makes 8.

Un-proven to be honest

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Lawrence makes 9.

I mentioned him so back to 8. Unless you are being facetious like me

13 minutes ago, Squid said:

Keogh makes it 10.

Really?

Archived