Chris Martin fitness

4 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Yes, because Nuge didn't get any abuse when he was playing but not scoring.

That's it exactly. Some fans can't see beyond the goals and don't fully appreciate the other contributions a player can make.

Frustrating, but true.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why on earth not? Especially if he gets match fit again. 

I worded that badly, sorry. He will score goals, I can see him getting 8-12, I meant we won't be relying on another 20-25 goals a season. 

2 hours ago, richinspain said:

Yes, because Nuge didn't get any abuse when he was playing but not scoring.

I get what you're saying completely. The frustrating thing with Nuge was he would often get chances he should bury. West Brom at home comes to mind, I think he missed a 1-on-1 when we needed to score? There's a few that springs to mind, I believe Chris would have put those away.

Goals are required, but surely Martin provides a bigger concern if he's on his game - creativity. 

He had a couple of seasons where no player created more goalscoring chances from open play in the division. This was when he was relatively fit and played consistently. 

The worry is how does he fit the system considering Waghorn and Marriott? I think you could scrap wingers and play three upfront, but whatever way you look at it you need to work on other areas of the pitch to make it happen. 

32 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Goals are required, but surely Martin provides a bigger concern if he's on his game - creativity. 

He had a couple of seasons where no player created more goalscoring chances from open play in the division. This was when he was relatively fit and played consistently. 

The worry is how does he fit the system considering Waghorn and Marriott? I think you could scrap wingers and play three upfront, but whatever way you look at it you need to work on other areas of the pitch to make it happen. 

I agree, however I do think we'll see Martin in a number 10 role, just behind the striker(s). I can see him playing a part.

16 minutes ago, DazaDunn said:

I agree, however I do think we'll see Martin in a number 10 role, just behind the striker(s). I can see him playing a part.

I would suggest just infront or the striker, or no 10. It's his hold up play and misdirection in the box that creates good chances, not his passes forward. 

12 hours ago, Sam_DCFC_1994 said:

The treatment of Chris Martin in recent years has been nothing short of shocking from club and fans alike. I literally used to sit in front of a bloke who refused to celebrate when Martin scored because he hated him that much, and would remain seated. I'm 24 and started going to games regularly at PP when I was 10, so I've not seen many greats at PP but he is by far one of the best strikers, if not the best I've seen at Derby in my lifetime. Unplayable on his day. For his own sake I do hope he leaves and finds regular football elsewhere, I just cant see him getting back into the team unless he has a blinding pre season. 

This is only a guess but it's my assumption that the guy sitting near you was called either Toddy or Ninos. 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I would suggest just infront or the striker, or no 10. It's his hold up play and misdirection in the box that creates good chances, not his passes forward. 

Always thought he did a bit of both. He had the odd cameos behind Bent and usually threaded a couple through to him.

Chesterfield in the Cup sticks in my mind. Think he threaded through three one-on-ones for Bent and Russell.

Martin's only Martin imo when he's the furthest up the field as he receives the ball. His play isn't just about his flicks, it's his manipulation of defenders, so he can play the ball into the space they leave for the deeper players to run on to.

Much harder to manipulate defenders if there's another striker further forward than you, and much more difficult to time the runs/passes.

Thought it looked good with Marriott as #10 vs that awful (but dense) US defense. I hope we try it a couple more times this summer and see how it works against more experienced defenders.

I would expect CM to get some game time vs Burton, who have a decent defensive unit and did well against the better league 1 teams last season.

If we are still discussing good CM performances after that then I think he will be in the squad for the season as there is little time left until transfer deadline and other areas to focus on.

Martin needs to take simple chances or he will probably go out on loan and that will be the end of his Derby career. He has a chance on Thursday but not with the players he needs to play alongside unless Marriott is fit.

13 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Even in his 10 minute cameo today, I could see he's not quick enough and has the turning circle of a HGV.

Sluggish. 

Kenny Miller had spare pace and the turn of a cat. 

Crap though

2 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

Even in his 10 minute cameo today, I could see he's not quick enough and has the turning circle of a HGV.

Sluggish. 

HGV sounds like the initials of some dutch legend so we'll take that as a positive cheers! 

In all seriousness, pace isn't everything. Usain Bolt had trials with Man United.... The speed of your thinking far outweighs the speed of your running. Give Chris time, his goal will come and his confidence will return. I have every faith in our three strikers. 

Archived