Chris Martin fitness

Martin and Marriott looked tailor made for each other, albeit against a lower class opposition. 

The big man is brilliant at misdirection. The little touches in and around the box that pulls defenders out of position allows someone, like Marriott, with exceptional movement and finishing to get better chances at goal. I know we want to play 4-3-3 but it’s definitely something we can look at more pre-season. 

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Martin and Marriott looked tailor made for each other, albeit against a lower class opposition. 

The big man is brilliant at misdirection. The little touches in and around the box that pulls defenders out of position allows someone, like Marriott, with exceptional movement and finishing to get better chances at goal. I know we want to play 4-3-3 but it’s definitely something we can look at more pre-season. 

Remember Biley & Swindlehirst? 

30 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I totally respect your view; but I can see Martin back as he was before. The other players in midfield have to work the ball into him like Bryson and Hughes did; when they did that Derby clicked. I think Cocu is perspicacious enough to see that. With Marriott on Martin’s shoulder we could have a lethal combination. It just needs to be worked at & hopefully the pre-season games will illustrate that. I have faith that Cocu will have a Plan A, and Plan B and a Plan C; that’s the Dutch way; they are the Maschsters of pragmatischms.

...I also meant to add that it was noticeable in the Florida friendly that it was George Thorne, given his previous knowledge of playing with CM, who was threading the ball through onto Martin’s toe and which is where 2 gilt chances were created one of which Marriott took. I know the opposition were low key, but it was the shape and pattern that I was looking for. First half, with different personnel on the field, it was mostly possession but with zero end product. So even low key opposition can defend that stuff...but add some real guile and we sliced them apart. 

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

First half, with different personnel on the field, it was mostly possession but with zero end product. So even low key opposition can defend that stuff...but add some real guile and we sliced them apart. 

Yeah I only managed to stay awake for the first 25 minutes of the live stream  and thought it looked like lots of huff and puff but little else. Not convinced at all by FloJo (was it?) out wide?

Anyone else remember when Pearson came in and the forum was full of Martin can't play in a two and he spent the whole summer trying to get him out of the club as his number one priority?

Not been the same since.

but then I always said Martin was deft little number ten trapped inside a number 9 body.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah I only managed to stay awake for the first 25 minutes of the live stream  and thought it looked like lots of huff and puff but little else. Not convinced at all by FloJo (was it?) out wide?

Yes; it was, Flo Jo out wide right. We got to the edge of the box and the ball tended to then come back inside and sideways along the line to Malone. Speaking of which, I wonder if Forsyth is ready yet? We did get some goals from wide left last year but I still think Forsyth is the go-to for that fast-low angled cross assuming he can re-find his zip. 

7 minutes ago, Matlock Old Ram said:

Hector and O’Hare took some beating!!

Hector and O’Hare. Sound like a Scottish folk duo* but certainly Marriott and Martin are close approximations. O’Hare was not mobile and not quick but of course he was very effective as the arrow-head..

*Mulligan & O’Hare ?

Chris Martin and us takes me back to 1995/96 when Jim had a player called Ron Willems - and Dean Sturridge, Marco and, later, Ashley Ward.

Ron chipped in with about 10 goals that season including penalties, had no real pace but wonderful vision, a very quick football brain and quick feet. He wasn't bad in the air. We went up that season and he played most of it behind a main striker linking midfield and strikers. And played some wonderful football.

Ron played 30 or so matches in the PL but wasn't really good enough for that league even in those days.

Interestingly our average home gate that season was just under 15,000. Hadn't realised it was that low in a promotion year, partly the result of the BBG being all seater.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Did you watch the whole game? I thought from the highlights he looked good - A couple of good interceptions, a couple of good passes and seemed confident bringing the ball forward - Seemed like most of the second half highlights involved him starting off the move (rather than Huddlestone) - But then all I saw was that 3-4 mins of second half highlights

Watching the whole match I can’t say I was too impressed by Thorne, he wasn’t poor by any stretch but he looked a little lethargic in his movement (understandably) and lacked that bit of zip. As much as I love George, Huddlestone was the much better player of the two in the second half and if our strikers could have finished we’d have scored 2 off of some unreal through passes by him that may not have been shown on the highlights. It’s his position to lose still, if we’re playing one CDM. A fitter George may be better mind, and he’s got pre season to reach that point.

Martin looked decent mind, and will have created a selection headache

44 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Watching the whole match I can’t say I was too impressed by Thorne, he wasn’t poor by any stretch but he looked a little lethargic in his movement (understandably) and lacked that bit of zip. As much as I love George, Huddlestone was the much better player of the two in the second half and if our strikers could have finished we’d have scored 2 off of some unreal through passes by him that may not have been shown on the highlights. It’s his position to lose still, if we’re playing one CDM. A fitter George may be better mind, and he’s got pre season to reach that point.

Yes; good point about Hudd, though I might be wrong his passes tend to be rangers to the width. Thorne does look top heavy and a bit “stiff” in his running gait, but if I recall he, in my experience of watching Derby for some 40 years, threaded one of the best defence splitting passes I’ve ever seen {v Huddersfield??!} which was through the eye of a needle, 35 yards which was finished by a sumptuous dink by Jonny Russell’s big toe about 3 years ago. That’s the sort of passing perception that doesn’t diminish through injury. If Thorne can replicate one or two balls like that in pre-season, maybe Cocu will warm to persisting with his rehab? 

52 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m quite the opposite. I thought it was GT who was the one keeping the ball moving and looking for those forward threaded passes. Just shows it’s a game of opinions. 

Quick one on the re: whether Thorne played well.

Weirdly both sides are correct, he did make mistakes and looked sluggish in part. But, and to me it’s something quite important, where he impressed me was where that he grew into the game. He was moving into more positive positions, trying more adventurous passes and started to look like a weight was off his shoulders. We’ve not seen that since his brief spell before the leg break against Ipswich where he just looked to be coming back to his old self. Ofcourse the opposition is a factor, but if he keeps that up in preseason, by the end we could have a very good player and (to use a cliche) could be like a new signing.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Hector and O’Hare. Sound like a Scottish folk duo* but certainly Marriott and Martin are close approximations. O’Hare was not mobile and not quick but of course he was very effective as the arrow-head..

*Mulligan & O’Hare ?

One of the finest !

6C9DE90A-B2BD-4BFB-A2E1-1C05EDB4790D.jpeg

Archived