Chris Martin fitness

Chris Martin looks leaner as he did the start of last season.

Doesn't mean he will still be able to find the form of 5 years ago. And to be fair 5 years is a long time in football.

No doubt Phil will asses all the squad players not just CM to see who fits with what he is looking for.

I would have thought Phil would like to bring in one or two players he knows well. Hopefully bright young players with that Dutch touch!

Can't wait for the start of the season.

COYR

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I kind of agree - But then I think people count the youth players into that number which I wouldn't until they go full-Bogle

We've taken 28 to the US, 2 left at home - Including 6 youngsters - So a 'senior' squad of 24 isn't too bad - I think the balance is probably a little off though; we need a little better 'future cover' for aging players and we're a bit light on quality in some positions 

I think the players that need replacing are probably the three loans from last summer. Not in terms of ability maybe but numbers.

Mount-Bird, Sibley and Knight?

Tomori- This can be taken with a huge pinch of salt, but I did hear a while back that the plan was to bring Max Hunt through this season. Could be second/third hand info but I’d still imagine we need someone else.

Wilson-Probably the most difficult to replace. It’s not just the flair but he also has bottle. A lot of goals too!

So to me, I’d say a defender and a wide player are two priorities. Given the Chelsea loan links are quite probable I’d say we should be ok getting these in.

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

I think the players that need replacing are probably the three loans from last summer. Not in terms of ability maybe but numbers.

I think it's their ability which needs replacing

We have Davies who is hopefully still a very good championship CB - But I'd want a young CB coming through to challenge for a place this season - Is Wisdom the guys to do this? Is Evans really a CB?

Mount's quality we absolutely need to replace with some urgency - And I think we need another winger so it makes sense to get one on a quality level of/above what we have

I think we're probably still a little heavy on LBs and DMs - But only by a couple of players

3x GK (done) - Carson, Roos, Mitchell

2x RB (done) - Bogle, Wisdom

3x CB (potentially +1) - Keogh, Davies

2x LB (-1) - Malone, Lowe/Fozzy

2x DM (-1 or 2) - Shinnie, Thorne/Hudds

3-4x CM (+2) - Holmes, Evans

4x wingers (+1) - Lawrence, Bennett, FloJo

3x CF (done) - Waggers, Marriott, Martin

That's 23 and I'm not quite including Bird yet and dunno if he's ready from the few minutes I've seen of him?

41 minutes ago, Rememberthebaseballgound said:

Chris Martin looks leaner as he did the start of last season.

Doesn't mean he will still be able to find the form of 5 years ago. And to be fair 5 years is a long time in football.

No doubt Phil will asses all the squad players not just CM to see who fits with what he is looking for.

I would have thought Phil would like to bring in one or two players he knows well. Hopefully bright young players with that Dutch touch!

Can't wait for the start of the season.

COYR

Spot on. We have this conversation each year about how lean he is etc. 

I was a big Chris Martin fan but we need to move on. He isn't going to be a starter for me, he's not been on it really since his Fulham loan and even then he wasn't firing on all cylinders. 

If he's happy to contribute and give his all then great but he's never been a great player coming off the bench sadly. 

said it before, i'll say it again, we will get peanuts for Chris, no point in getting rid, let him be the 3rd choice striker for this season, otherwise we're gonna just end up spending more money on a replacement, im sure he will be capable of putting a shift in when required.

9 minutes ago, 'Rambe33 said:

...he's not been on it really since his Fulham loan and even then he wasn't firing on all cylinders. 

If he's happy to contribute and give his all then great but he's never been a great player coming off the bench sadly. 

Before we stepped into the midst of his Fulham loan wasn't he scoring 1 in 3? He's never been great off the bench cos when he's playing well he's never really played off the bench. The bits we saw for Snake were okay.

I have no idea how good he can be for us, but he looks fit to play now. I do think we can say that to get the best from Martin he needs to be settled somewhere (playing off the bench or not). So if Cocu doesn't want him then he needs to get himself another club asap. Edit: he's a team player and needs to belong!

2 minutes ago, Duwayne said:

said it before, i'll say it again, we will get peanuts for Chris, no point in getting rid, let him be the 3rd choice striker for this season, otherwise we're gonna just end up spending more money on a replacement, im sure he will be capable of putting a shift in when required.

Peanuts and off load his wage bill on a more suitable replacement for the style that Cocu wants to play.

However playing devil's advocate, who says he will not be back to his old self and fit right in?

Whatever we say is not going to make any difference either way, it will be the manager that decides

23 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

We have Davies who is hopefully still a very good championship CB - But I'd want a young CB coming through to challenge for a place this season - Is Wisdom the guys to do this? Is Evans really a CB?

Mount's quality we absolutely need to replace with some urgency - And I think we need another winger so it makes sense to get one on a quality level of/above what we have

I think we're probably still a little heavy on LBs and DMs - But only by a couple of players

That's 23 and I'm not quite including Bird yet and dunno if he's ready from the few minutes I've seen of him?

It completely depends on style of play, it could end up being that a Bryson-type may be more vital than Mount’s more expressive style in the midfield, but only if we are thinking this 4-3-3 is the way to go. This is because the midfield 3, in theory, is more rigid which could suit a Bird, Sibley etc more. I think a replacement for Wilson/Mount May be more likely to be in the forward 3, we will bring in a player who can play a more free role and link up to make up the four wingers, with again back up from the u23’s.

The academy is a big part of our recruitment, if he shocked if we weren’t looking to give a good few of them first team football this time. We need more Bogle’s even if it’s to sell on.

12 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Ninos disappeared off the map a long time ago and I haven't heard from toddy for a long time either 

Chrissie returning would have caused a few burst blood vessels I fear so perhaps for the best!

Ninos left when Rowett did. After a year of bigging him up and saying what a tactician he was, at his dream job that he would never leave etc etc etc 

?

On 06/07/2019 at 21:13, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Only if the wage earners are ineffective...they start scoring and providing goals and they become priceless.

That’s my point. Not got a problem with Martin staying around, if you looked at my posts last season I would have kept him around the squad. My main point was that we should only keep him if we intend to play him and have him around the squad rather than having him on big wages and wasting away, being made to play for the under 23s instead  like Anya was.

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:53, BathRam72 said:

Whatever we say is not going to make any difference either way, it will be the manager that decides

Statement of the blindingly obvious. ?. Lets just shut the forum down and save all this pointless discussion. On the other hand its good fun mostly so lets keep going.

I press NEXT UNREAD TOPIC and in every topic there's talk about Chris Martin. Love him or loath him, but we certainly haven't talked enough about him yet... 

Maybe a time for new Chris Martin thread?

On 09/07/2019 at 10:34, cheron85 said:

Top eight side there. Need three better players than what we have for top three if they stay fit and play their best.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

I press NEXT UNREAD TOPIC and in every topic there's talk about Chris Martin. Love him or loath him, but we certainly haven't talked enough about him yet... 

Maybe a time for new Chris Martin thread?

I'm thinking Chris Martin match threads might be the way forward

When he got to 64 goals (I think he has 64 in all comps) I thought he was going to be the first Derby player ive seen reach 100. Since that obvs 3 years have past where he’s barely played. I’d love nothing more than two more 20 goals seasons so he can do just that. Wishful thinking but a man can dream. 

Archived