Suggestions for the next Derby manager

Surely Cowley isn't a serious suggestion? Fair enough he has done well at Lincoln, but he was a non-league player, and a non-league manager and now has two seasons of EFL experience at Lincoln. A club that doesn't even get 10,000 at a game. He will be overwhelmed very quickly by the size of the club at Derby, the expectation of the fans etc

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Wouldn't be pretty to watch, but there's no doubt in my mind that he would probably get us out of this league (finally).

Surely thought, there's absolutely no chance Big Sam would jump down to the Championship. Especially to a club that can't spend wildly. He'll know that he can just hang on for a few months and get a job with someone struggling in the PL by December... 

Not sure Allardyce's football is ugly to watch and I'm pretty sure we've only been part-attractive over the last 5-6 years. I would expect Allardyce's football to be as sporadically attractive and ugly as we are used to.

2 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Surely Cowley isn't a serious suggestion? Fair enough he has done well at Lincoln, but he was a non-league player, and a non-league manager and now has two seasons of EFL experience at Lincoln. A club that doesn't even get 10,000 at a game. He will be overwhelmed very quickly by the size of the club at Derby, the expectation of the fans etc

Couldn’t be doing with that kind of football. Plus what calibration of players are going to want to sign for him. 

10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Football snobbery or just a difference in taste?

I think you can prefer one style to another without regarding the latter with disgust, no?

I maybe strong etc, and yes I get it.

Its the loyalty point that gets me. We go on about managers should be loyal etc, but I could pick off numerous social media posts criticising potential new managers and that they would stay away because of who it is.

Dont get me wrong I’ve said stuff in heat of moment and bit me on the backside, but I’ll hold my hands up and admit it.

Its a shame some fans will double down on their hypocrisy.

17 minutes ago, Saity said:

Mel Morris fantastic bloke and has DCFC in his heart but I don’t trust him 100 per cent to appoint the right person 

Pulis,Moore,Cowley,Rowett,Eustace,Carrick have been mentioned ...are you kidding!!! Jeeez let’s appoint an attack minded manager who plays similarly to Lampards style or its back to square one ...please let’s appoint s manager who’s going to play some decent stuff...we missed a trick with Jokanovic in my view ...no more Clements, Phil Brown,Wassalls,Jewell types please Mel 

Carrick - How do you know he won't play attacking football?

Wassall - His style of play is exactly what we're after. A solid ppm record (better than Lampard's), slightly better goals for and against too 1.56:1.11 vs 1.5:1.17. He's now 3 years more experienced and has proven he can improve young players. The only doubt I have is his ability to recruit the type of players Lampard/Gerrard types could.

20 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Wouldn't be pretty to watch, but there's no doubt in my mind that he would probably get us out of this league (finally).

Surely thought, there's absolutely no chance Big Sam would jump down to the Championship. Especially to a club that can't spend wildly. He'll know that he can just hang on for a few months and get a job with someone struggling in the PL by December... 

Do we want another complete change of style?

Wheres the continuity?

We've been there twice with Pearson and rowett and it was s****e

So that Scottish article was talking poo about gerrard then. Mind he confirmed the interest so there was at least something there before, obviously nothing now as he doesn’t want it. Still a chance Lampard May stay yet albeit very slim, so let’s hope we’ve got some decent options lined up should he leave.

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Carrick - How do you know he won't play attacking football?

Wassall - His style of play is exactly what we're after. A solid ppm record (better than Lampard's), slightly better goals for and against too 1.56:1.11 vs 1.5:1.17. He's now 3 years more experienced and has proven he can improve young players. The only doubt I have is his ability to recruit the type of players Lampard/Gerrard types could.

Wassall !!!...oh FFS ??‍♂️you’re  joking right..??..ppm means nothing Rowetts record was similar to Franks and yet I know which one I enjoyed more our improvement with younger players seems to have coincided with Jody being here I’d rather give Jody the job than Wassall....Carricks an unknown quantity I get that but none  of the names mentioned fill me with confidence...I just really really hope Mel doesn’t say we are getting Rowett back as I think I’d cry!! lol 

Morris on talksport: wants manager to continue on from Frank. Maintain the style of play. Encourage development of academy players into first team. AND: continue the buzz around the place (so a big name?) and above all, maintain a massive relationship with Derby fans.

Go and get Arteta .....has experience of working with Wenger and Pep and would get us playing some decent football you suspect ....has been number two with Pep and he really rates him and we are a big enough club to maybe tempt him ...he has always said he wants to be a manager so why not us ...will have links to loans from City and Arsenal not too dissimilar to Frank and would be an exciting appointment ...just a thought 

"Carrick gives United balance and can play defensively too. He passes well, has a good shot and is a complete player."

– Spanish midfielder Xavi Hernández on Carrick[215]

"I am a big fan of Michael Carrick. He's one of the best holding midfielders I've ever seen in my life."

– Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola[216]

For me carricks creativity, discipline and clever mind would be good attributes for a manager. I admit he's an unknown quality, and his management experience is just as a first team coach at man its but he might be worth while taking a chance on

55 minutes ago, Oldben said:

"Carrick gives United balance and can play defensively too. He passes well, has a good shot and is a complete player."

– Spanish midfielder Xavi Hernández on Carrick[215]

"I am a big fan of Michael Carrick. He's one of the best holding midfielders I've ever seen in my life."

– Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola[216]

For me carricks creativity, discipline and clever mind would be good attributes for a manager. I admit he's an unknown quality, and his management experience is just as a first team coach at man its but he might be worth while taking a chance on

Or just go for Arteta who’s  been coaching and learnt from Wenger and Pep ...they might both be good candidates who knows it’s just the unknown I guess like any appointment ...whoever it is won’t please everyone 

Archived