Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, if we're going down the young manager route then I'd prefer to see Cowley. If we want someone a bit more proven at this level, then definitely Chris Hughton. But who knows anymore, maybe it's just Richard Keogh player/manager. Just wait and see I suppose, hopefully sorted today/tomorrow so we can be ready when the players come back.

7 minutes ago, Rambam said:

Cowley is bookie’s favourite for a reason. He is young and successful. Let’s not go down the road of people who have failed/been sacked. 

And Darren Moore just spells 11 point season to me. 

Not the promotion to lead to that season?

Eustace, mclaren, moore, hughton, holloway, monk, cowley, keane, hughes, scholes, rowett, adams, redknap, stimac, carrick, adkins, karanka, moyes, mccarthy, holland, simpson, boothroyd, chris bloody coleman, sol campbell, chris powell, cowans, benitez, phelan, mcinnes, alex neil, stendel, strachan, gerrard, ince, allardyce, ranieri, ravanelli, appleton, saunders, souness, carsley, williams, wassall, pearson, davies, giggs, grayson, hasselbaink, jokanovic, gary neville, phil neville, pardew, pulis, poyet, tim bloody sherwood, zola, mark wright, shilton, geraint williams, mick harford, archie and scot gemmill, george burley, peschisolido, higginbotham, heckingbotham, gazza, mozza, puel, froggg, rowan williams - the former archbishop of bloody canterbury, lee johnson, boris johnson, nigel farage, nigel clough, mary berry, george berry, halle berry.....

just give it to Bergkamp!

14 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Tony Pulis?

Mel is spoiled with options. He could just pick the category and flip the coin:

"Former well-known players": John Terry & Roy Keane

"Been there, done that": Aitor Karanka & Tony Pulis

"Unfinished business": Gary Rowett & Billy Davies

6 reasons to excited, right? And they are all free for some reason!

4 minutes ago, Slim charles said:

Other than being young and British I don't get the Cowley thing?! Lincoln's football is effective but awful to watch,

Very left field but I'd be happier with someone like Gareth Ainsworth, a character who's team plays really attacking football

The 2 names mentioned there just go to highlight the predicament we find ourselves in. Surely we're better than having to trawl through candidates in Div 1 & 2 just to avoid going for the usual journeymen who always crop up when jobs become available.

If Derby County don't have a list of potential future managers with vision and hunger to be given an opportunity then they should have and is something that MM needs to address as a matter of club policy going forward into the next 5-10 years.

4 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Mel is spoiled with options. He could just pick the category and flip the coin:

"Former well-known players": John Terry & Roy Keane

"Been there, done that": Aitor Karanka & Tony Pulis

"Unfinished business": Gary Rowett & Billy Davies

6 reasons to excited, right? And they are all free for some reason!

Troll the fans:

Stewart Pearce, Nigel Pearson, Zola, Pulis, Rowett, & many more

General hilarity, and getting to practice one of football chairmanship's rare pleasures, hire and then sack Steve Mcclaren!? "of the appointment, Derby chairman Mel Morris said" you don't understand how much fun it is sacking Steve mcclaren, it's one of the few things me and Gibson agree on, the little face he makes, everything "

Trying to understand Mel's thinking...

The interest in Gerrard, which seems real, must be to attract investors. His approach to football tactics isn't as exciting as Frank's.

Bookies odds are set by betting patterns but, as such, they can also reflect insider information - the Cowleys are favourites and reports suggest their football style isn't entertaining.

So neither of these potential appointments fit with the "Derby way" and continue along the road started by Lampard...high press, passing, attacking football based on youngsters.

Puzzled.

From the financial perspective and glory for the club, going up, whatever the style might be more important but personally, I've reached the stage, where it's more important the style we play. Overall, last season was exciting, young players, playing with a vigour that was great to watch. It wasn't always tactically the best way and the balance in midfield definitely suffered at times but even if we missed out on the play-offs, it would have been more enjoyable than the Rowett season. It's a shame Jokanovic went to oil-land, would have been a good option.

22 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Eustace, mclaren, moore, hughton, holloway, monk, cowley, keane, hughes, scholes, rowett, adams, redknap, stimac, carrick, adkins, karanka, moyes, mccarthy, holland, simpson, boothroyd, chris bloody coleman, sol campbell, chris powell, cowans, benitez, phelan, mcinnes, alex neil, stendel, strachan, gerrard, ince, allardyce, ranieri, ravanelli, appleton, saunders, souness, carsley, williams, wassall, pearson, davies, giggs, grayson, hasselbaink, jokanovic, gary neville, phil neville, pardew, pulis, poyet, tim bloody sherwood, zola, mark wright, shilton, geraint williams, mick harford, archie and scot gemmill, george burley, peschisolido, higginbotham, heckingbotham, gazza, mozza, puel, froggg, rowan williams - the former archbishop of bloody canterbury, lee johnson, boris johnson, nigel farage, nigel clough, mary berry, george berry, halle berry.....

just give it to Bergkamp!

Old Uncle Tom Cobley?

Mel Morris fantastic bloke and has DCFC in his heart but I don’t trust him 100 per cent to appoint the right person 

Pulis,Moore,Cowley,Rowett,Eustace,Carrick have been mentioned ...are you kidding!!! Jeeez let’s appoint an attack minded manager who plays similarly to Lampards style or its back to square one ...please let’s appoint s manager who’s going to play some decent stuff...we missed a trick with Jokanovic in my view ...no more Clements, Phil Brown,Wassalls,Jewell types please Mel 

36 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

For me its all about the style of football. If the new guy, whoever he is, brings back playing percentage balls down the line & over the top then imo he wont last long and the fans will vote with their feet.

Then that’s football snobbery right there.

And yet most of these will question loyalty in football re: Lampard

Think some need to look at themselves

Hypocrites 

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Then that’s football snobbery right there.

And yet most of these will question loyalty in football re: Lampard

Think some need to look at themselves

Hypocrites 

Football snobbery or just a difference in taste?

I think you can prefer one style to another without regarding the latter with disgust, no?

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Get Allardyce in. He'll organise that central defence and cut out the goals scored in the width of the goal from pen spot to 6yd box

Wouldn't be pretty to watch, but there's no doubt in my mind that he would probably get us out of this league (finally).

Surely thought, there's absolutely no chance Big Sam would jump down to the Championship. Especially to a club that can't spend wildly. He'll know that he can just hang on for a few months and get a job with someone struggling in the PL by December... 

Archived