Suggestions for the next Derby manager

4 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

They could easily afford a striker, don't buy this at all.

Brighton did buy a striker - Florin Andone - he wasn't up to scratch.

But the problem for Brighton wasn't that they didn't have money to buy a striker - the problem is their wage structure. On top of the difficulty in finding a striker of PL standard (and that is a major problem for every club - including the top six) - they were not willing to pay the wages that would be needed to attract a striker capable of scoring goals in the PL.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first names are out: Darren Moore, John Eustace, Garry Monk & Derek McInnes all according to the Daily Mail. I'd be utterly gobsmacked if it is Eustace, it's unusual to appoint an assistant manager of a team that finished below you, but there we go. 

McInnes I could see the merit in. He's done a good job at Aberdeen, plus he'll have two references in Lowe & Shinnie. Monk and Moore are steady potential choices. None of them set the pulses racing. 

Article can be found here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7181251/Garry-Monk-Darren-Moore-Derby-County-shortlist-begin-search-new-manager.html

54 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Hughton for me or the foreign option Wendel 

Get in, if only for this - most bonkers opening 5 seconds to any song, and could you just imagine 30,000 people doing it every game?!

3 hours ago, Coconut said:

So Chris Hughton's teams play amazing, free flowing football in the Championship but reach the Premier League and all of a sudden drop it in favour of ultra defensive, survival football?

Nah, not buying that for a second, if you go up playing great football you try to continue playing in that style, have some faith in your convictions, try to further develop your team's trademark style like Bournemouth have done.

Why would you change your entire style rather than sticking to what worked? That takes far more effort than the above. What's the point in even going up if the only aim once you're up is nullifying the superior opposition?

People are kidding themselves if they believe Brighton went up playing anything like as good football as Bournemouth did, which is the aim for a team like ours. I suppose it's just a coincidence they went up with Lewis Dunk at the back and Glenn Murray & Hemed up front?

This idea that Bright HAD to play a certain way last season due to circumstance is such a load of BS, it's the way they've always played against 'better' opposition - flat track bullies with a dashing of flair, works brilliantly in the Championship but it would require at least 2 transfer windows to imprint on our squad.

Do you appreciate the gap between the Championship and the PL - It can take years to put together a squad capable of competing in the PL.

Bournemouth have - Joshua King, Callum Wilson and Ryan Fraser - Brighton have Glenn Murray (who they got from Bournemouth because he was surplus to requirements there).

If you go into the PL with a promoted team and you play 'free-flowing football' without at least one striker who gets 15 goals - you will be relegated. If Potter has Brighton playing the way he worked with Swansea, they could be relegated by Christmas if they don't find a striker.

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The first names are out: Darren Moore, John Eustace, Garry Monk & Derek McInnes all according to the Daily Mail. I'd be utterly gobsmacked if it is Eustace, it's unusual to appoint an assistant manager of a team that finished below you, but there we go. 

McInnes I could see the merit in. He's done a good job at Aberdeen, plus he'll have two references in Lowe & Shinnie. Monk and Moore are steady potential choices. None of them set the pulses racing. 

Article can be found here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7181251/Garry-Monk-Darren-Moore-Derby-County-shortlist-begin-search-new-manager.html

Christ, what a cohort ☹️

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

If we appoint any of them I'd be greatly disappointed. 

2 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Huddersfield,wolves,leeds,Watford all pulled managers out of the bag sure Mel can bring some one in to do a job other than everybody else's rejects and failures.

Huddersfield got relegated - Wolves have had one good season in the PL, let's see what they do next season (I suspect it will be a bit more of a struggle) - Leeds are totally undisciplined at the back and it probably cost them promotion - Watford have had 7 managers in five seasons, their first three seasons in the PL their win percentage was below 30% (before last season they had 45 points, 40 points, 41 points).

1 hour ago, Bluedogmaz said:

@MuespachRam  - This is a fantastic idea.

Yeah @MuespachRam would have us straight back in the Premier League.

Would have us playing great football, would have some great tunes on before the game, at half time and after the game. Proper beer and snacks in the concourses. We'd be turning over Liverpool, Everton and Tranmere Rovers, no problem.

We'd give Chelsea a right proper doing every time, same with the Arsenal, Spurs, Man City and Man Utd. Before we all flew our flags on a very regular basis around the world to beat everyone in sight time and time again.

If that’s our shortlist of options I’ll be greatly disappointed, really don’t think there’s enough there capable of succeeding here. Moore did a decent job a West Brom and was unfairly sacked, but he’d be underwhelming and too inexperienced for me, tho with a decent season style of play. John eustace is a laughable suggestion as I’ve said before. Monk again did a decent job at Birmingham and plays decent football but would be underwhelming for me before we even consider the dodgy reasons as to why he was fired. Don’t want any dodgy situations here. Only one I’d be behind, if he does play decent football (idk I don’t watch Scottish football that much) is mcinnes. Experienced and done a decent job at Aberdeen, good enough for our job imo... knows a few players too and has links to Jody at Chelsea. Would take him but wouldn’t be my first choice... the rest, nah.

Good at least we’re building a shortlist quick mind, can get interviews underway as soon as Lampard leaves then and get the process done before next week and the start of pre season, provided Lampard does indeed leave as hoped this week. Just would rather we went for someone slightly more experienced and maybe set our sights wider than just England for once. Whoever takes over imo will take over a club in a good position so hopefully we’re attractive.

Daily Fail says we have Moore and Eustace down for interviews...just hope it’s for a coaching role and not the managers job!

Derek McInnes is a name I’ve not seen mentioned on here. Worked with Shinnie and Lowe, isn’t doing a bad job - his name is mentioned too.

Archived