Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had enough now and have taken a solemn vow to avoid this particular thread until I hear on 5Live or read on the BBC sports website that he's actually gone? Cheerio.

Is there anything else happening in the world? The Women's World Cup is rather good.

18 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

If he goes to Chelsea, I won't blame him for taking the chance and will wish him well.

it's the waiting that's annoying and will the new person be any good.

OMg I read new 'pearson'

do not do that to me

Here’s why I think Lampard will not take the Chelsea job, should he be offered it:-

For Chelsea to want to employ Lampard, they will be doing so simply because the lack of transfer market freedom is hindering their ability to employ a “top” coach/manager. This effectively means that Chelsea will be using Lampard as a sticking plaster, they would be exploiting his reputation amongst the Chelsea fans in a cynical ploy to take the heat off those running the club.

There could be comparisons drawn between Chelsea (potentially) employing Lampard, and when GSE & Adam Pearson appointed Nigel Clough here at Derby. Both clubs were reacting to previous errors in strategical & financial management, and both clubs were having to adjust to a period of limited investment in the playing squad.

In fairness, Lampard would potentially inherit a squad much more capable of achieving it’s objectives than Nigel Clough did here, but the philosophy of nursing the club until it can invest is almost identical.

When you hear Nigel Clough right now, he’s clearly bitter about how his time ended at Derby, he nursed the club back to health, but never got to enjoy the financial backing to chase promotion when it became available. Based on the way Chelsea conducts itself as a club, Lampard would be replaced as soon as Chelsea could spend money again.

I personally view the potential appointment of Lampard as Chelsea manager as disingenuous and cynical. It would only happen, in my opinion, if the Chelsea decision-makers believe they are going to struggle to compete for the title and for a top-4 finish next season. If they employed someone with no link to Chelsea, and the team is hovering outside the top 4 or even top 6, how long before the fans turned on the manager/coach and ultimately the board? Lampard would enjoy a buffer of goodwill from the majority of Chelsea fans if they were struggling to compete. Maybe a big enough buffer to see them through their transfer umbongo.

If employed, then replaced two years down the line, Lampard would not be viewed as a successful manager unless he won the PL or the CL.

I believe Frank and his advisors would have noted this as a possibility and considered the move not a wise one to make this early in his career and with such limited freedom to trade at Chelsea.

People thinking he’d take the move in case it never came around again have probably never paid attention to the type of personality Lampard has. He’s a leader, and part-maverick, and as such would never doubt his own ability to succeed. He won’t view the last season as a success, he will be disappointed he didn’t achieve more, and will be expecting to achieve more, ergo finishing 16th this season will not enter his mind.

Lampard to Chelsea is a PR whirlwind, and this alone is fuelling the persistent headlines, but logically, it makes no sense for Chelsea to appoint him, unless they are resigned to a period of rehabilitating the club, and it makes no sense for Lampard to consider it, unless he wants one big payday, which I doubt he does.

It is equally amusing and annoying seeing the meltdown on here. Why are people getting so far ahead of themselves? I know it’s summer and you’re all bored, but for the sake of your own mental health, stop fearing the worst, you’ll end up driving him out of the club!!

27 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I've had enough now and have taken a solemn vow to avoid this particular thread until I hear on 5Live or read on the BBC sports website that he's actually gone? Cheerio.

Is there anything else happening in the world? The Women's World Cup is rather good.

Boris has finally made his pitch for PM, the price of bacon is on the up ?

13 hours ago, Owd miner said:

Hilda has seen Frank driving a Pickford's removal van. He wa heading onta M1 j25 south..... Hilda sez his sat Nav wa set fer Big smoke.

I think Hilda is winding you up Owd, Pickfords is not self drive as far as I am aware

3 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

If FL was going to stay I would have thought that he would have come out and announced it by now rather than continuing all this uncertaincy.  The fact that he hasn't does not bode well. 

If he's staying then the uncertainty only exists outside of the club, where it's irrelevant, and therefore doesn't require an announcement. 

He won't know if he's leaving, until Chelsea approach him - and that can't happen until Derby give Chelsea permission to speak to Frank, and that WOULD require an announcement.

So, you've got the wrong end of the stick. No news is good news. You don't need to make an announcement if everything's staying the same.

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

If he's staying then the uncertainty only exists outside of the club, where it's irrelevant, and therefore doesn't require an announcement. 

He won't know if he's leaving, until Chelsea approach him - and that can't happen until Derby give Chelsea permission to speak to Frank, and that WOULD require an announcement.

So, you've got the wrong end of the stick. No news is good news. You don't need to make an announcement if everything's staying the same.

Yep, Owen Bradley has also said on Twitter business as usual and no news is good news.

2 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

Can't believe i've seen so many people calling out Frank on his integrity and loyalty when not at any point has he entertained interest from anybody else in public. My message stays the same; get a gucking frip.

I will sign off on this as well. 

And throw in the rumblings of he wasn’t that good anyway, setting the foundations for the don’t let the door hit you on the way out posts.

Granted some have been saying that for months, exceptions will be given, but others which are now starting to turn on him and getting the kicks already with the “if he goes”, can’t say it sits right with me at all. It doesn’t surprise me, but still.

Said it before but I hope I never end up in court with some of you lot on the jury, I would be found guilty before even stepping foot in the dock.

Someone posted earlier back in the thread that they feel this speculation could come back on him next season even if Chelsea didn’t make an approach. Can’t help but agree seeing the state of some social media/forum posts now, couple of defeats and the “should have ducked off to Chelsea”, sadly it’s all too predictable.

Do I think Lampard could have handled it better? Not at all, there is nothing he could have said or done that would not have been twisted into not being clear enough when the next Daily Mail article suggesting he should go to Chelsea drops.

The media have fans wrapped round their little fingers and it’s sad to see how many hang on every word when we have seen time and time again how wrong they can be.

Do I think the club could have handled it better? Not at all, all these calls for new contracts to be given, have people forgotten the new deal Rowett was given amidst the speculation? An extended contract would not prevent Chelsea making an approach if that is their intention. We are not talking about rival Championship clubs with similar resources, we’re talking about one of the biggest clubs in the country. 

As much as love Lampard and the season we had last season, I do not want to see us throw more money at him in an attempt to keep him at the club when the contract he signed just a year ago was acceptable for 3 years.

Would I be against the club offering him a new contract? Not at all, give him a 10 year contract for me, but I won’t be naive to think it will guarantee he stays for the duration of the contract and could easily be gone in 6 months if the right offer came in.

I also do not believe a football club should make any statements regarding their manager on speculation over a job that 1) Is not currently available and 2) No approach has been made.

I had a mooch around a day or so ago and this thread was at 62 pages.  It's now at 92....are we heading for a record? 

None of us really know what's happening. Frank attracts so much media hype that he only needs to be seen out wearing a pair of Chelsea boots and he's clearly going.  We are now, of course Frank Lampard's Derby County, thanks to Sky so it goes without saying any talk of going is going to spark a tidal wave of conjecture.  

I'm just trying to ignore it all until there's a formal announcement, either way.  If he goes, I'll just cry into my pint.  If he stays, I'll down it and order another.  

22 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

If FL was going to stay I would have thought that he would have come out and announced it by now rather than continuing all this uncertaincy.  The fact that he hasn't does not bode well. 

It does keep Derby in the news.

1 hour ago, NottsRammy said:

I Like Frank he has done a good job buttttttttttttttttttttt.

He must be CRAZY to go to Chelsea after just 1 year learning his trade , he at least needs another year somewhere in a lower tier ( with us hopefully ) than the prem learning his trade . WHAT HAS HE ACTUALLY ACHIEVED NOTHING THATS WHAT !! .

I think (if you believe the majority of what you read) with the task of bringing down the wage and average age while not dropping too far down the table.

I think in making the playoffs while under those constraints, not to mention the play off final and great cup runs that he has overachieved in his first year.

Imagine it were you going into your annual appraisal and he says to you "WHAT HAVE YOU ACHIEVED ? NOTHING"

If it were me I would walk out.

So I think he would be completely sane to go to Chelsea after overperforming in his first year.

Teamed with Jodie Morris and Chelsea's recruitment ban, and legendary status at the club I think he would possibly be given more time than most other Chelsea managers

And with the likes of Hudson Odoi, Abraham, Amapdu, Mount, Tomori, Loftus Cheek, Zouma, Kenedy, Palmer,Batshuayi, Brown not to mention Morata, Willian, Pedro, Azpilucutta, Higuain, Kante, Jorginho, Giroud, Pedro, Luiz, Alonso, Rudiger, Barclay, Drinkwater, Zappacosta, Cabellero

I know I probably missed some but with all those I reckon most people should be able to get top 4

I am confident that Frank will think he can.

I really really hope he isn't offered it.

Because if he is he would be CRAZY not to take it.

IMHO

Archived