Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

A lot of the classic long summer transfer threads were funny and full of top bantz.

This one is mostly full of opinions of people who think they know how the mind of a Russian exiled billionaire works. I guess because the main people involved here are well known it means everyone thinks their opinion is well informed.

Much more of a laugh when it was Thorne and that WBA owner.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rosythram said:

Why can’t we accept that Frank is our manager until it’s reported otherwise.

All this speculation isn’t doing any one any good.

What will be will be, unfortunately we as fans aren’t in control.

I for one enjoyed last season and would love it to continue. if it can’t than we’ll move on.

DCFC

we could by protesting for frank lampared like they did when brain clough went to forest thousands marched down old bbg.

11 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

we could by protesting for frank lampared like they did when brain clough went to forest thousands marched down old bbg.

Brian clough didn't leave Derby to go to forest

It doesn't seem to be going away, not that I thought it would, but the ball really is in Chelsea's court. I just don't see the logic. I think every man and his dog believes/knows Lampard is a great prospect, but it's a tough job and his name will only last so long. 

Benitez is a great choice for them, in comparison. 

29 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It doesn't seem to be going away, not that I thought it would, but the ball really is in Chelsea's court. I just don't see the logic. I think every man and his dog believes/knows Lampard is a great prospect, but it's a tough job and his name will only last so long. 

Benitez is a great choice for them, in comparison. 

Or, if Chelsea think he’s good enough, and come in for him.... and he thinks he’s ready, why not go? His stock is high currently. He could make mincemeat out of the Chelsea role. 

5 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Or, if Chelsea think he’s good enough, and come in for him.... and he thinks he’s ready, why not go? His stock is high currently. He could make mincemeat out of the Chelsea role. 

Mincemeat you say. Hope it doesn't burger it up, given the chance. Some will relish that. ???

37 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

You're absolutely right. I would in his position, because worst case: it doesn't work out and he gets a job working at a club like Derby again. 

Sadly I feel that most top managers will look at Chelsea's record of 12 managers in 16 years (I think). 

Then look at the prospect of taking over a big club with a transfer embargo having sold/selling their best player, as a potential suicide mission.

Unless there is a top manager out there looking for quick money, then I don't really see who would take it.

It might be someone who is cocky enough to believe that he could survive the next year or so on what they have. But he would need assurances that no matter what happens his job is secure until the transfer embargo is over and we all no that is very unlikely.

So on to Frank, I hate to say this but his head could be turned by the romantic return of a hero who will be adored as soon as he walks through the door. He wouldn't command a massive wage based on his career as a manager so far.

I feel he would be foolish to take any offer from Chelsea at this stage and if he did he would have to at least make the Champions league Semi's and maybe a top 2 in the league to potentially keep his job.

Christ Chelsea are almost as bad as us at getting rid of managers (I hope he doesn't read this last line) ?

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

You're absolutely right. I would in his position, because worst case: it doesn't work out and he gets a job working at a club like Derby again. 

You missed this bit off the end......

With a massive pay off from Chelsea in the bank to boot. 

Its a win/ win scenario as we know managers get paid huge sums of money for failure. 

The way the speculation is falling, I can unfortunately see Lampard going soon. He’ll have reservations but the lack of resources at Derby for next season will sway his final decision. 

I think Mel will put a good chunk of money aside for him, but there’s no chance of us replicating the loan success we’ve had this season.

As a result, I’ve already been thinking about next managers... and their isn’t a lot out there!

The easy option? Chris Hughton - but would an older and more experienced manager work under Mel’s guardianship? Has he got the right type of players to work with?

The back-in-time option? Has Rowett got unfinished business? Is there too much bad blood? Not someone I would choose.

The unproven options? Inexperience doesn’t bother Mel. Could that open the door for John Terry? Dare I write Mikael Arteta?

The football-style options? Lee Johnson, Nathan Jones and Thomas Frank all look settled at their clubs, would they replicate their footballing philosophy at Derby?

The improver option? Alex Neil has brought through a bunch of younger players with a degree of success. Could he continue to evolution of the Derby team? Nigel Adkins did well with Hull last year too.

The outsider options? Lee Bowyer - successful but still unproven. Darren Moore - knows the club but unsuccessfully so far. Both uninspiring.

The we-used-to-play-for-you options? I always hate these, but I can’t deny that some teams have done well appointing these options - like Sheff Utd. I guarantee Stimac, Michael Johnson, et al will be linked but it won’t happen.

Any manager coming in will need to continue the work of Lampard. Bring youth through, improve this current set of ‘footballers’ and type of football we’ve played. Who’s got that high tempo passing philosophy that will suit Derby - I feel this is the question Mel will need to think about, rather than who has had ‘success’.

Unless Derby are going to break with tradition and appoint their first ever foreign manager working abroad, there really isn’t a lot of choice. If ever a season felt like a passive, mid-table meh season, next season feels like it.

16 minutes ago, Jonesy90 said:

The way the speculation is falling, I can unfortunately see Lampard going soon. He’ll have reservations but the lack of resources at Derby for next season will sway his final decision. 

I think Mel will put a good chunk of money aside for him, but there’s no chance of us replicating the loan success we’ve had this season.

As a result, I’ve already been thinking about next managers... and their isn’t a lot out there!

The easy option? Chris Hughton - but would an older and more experienced manager work under Mel’s guardianship? Has he got the right type of players to work with?

The back-in-time option? Has Rowett got unfinished business? Is there too much bad blood? Not someone I would choose.

The unproven options? Inexperience doesn’t bother Mel. Could that open the door for John Terry? Dare I write Mikael Arteta?

The football-style options? Lee Johnson, Nathan Jones and Thomas Frank all look settled at their clubs, would they replicate their footballing philosophy at Derby?

The improver option? Alex Neil has brought through a bunch of younger players with a degree of success. Could he continue to evolution of the Derby team? Nigel Adkins did well with Hull last year too.

The outsider options? Lee Bowyer - successful but still unproven. Darren Moore - knows the club but unsuccessfully so far. Both uninspiring.

The we-used-to-play-for-you options? I always hate these, but I can’t deny that some teams have done well appointing these options - like Sheff Utd. I guarantee Stimac, Michael Johnson, et al will be linked but it won’t happen.

Any manager coming in will need to continue the work of Lampard. Bring youth through, improve this current set of ‘footballers’ and type of football we’ve played. Who’s got that high tempo passing philosophy that will suit Derby - I feel this is the question Mel will need to think about, rather than who has had ‘success’.

Unless Derby are going to break with tradition and appoint their first ever foreign manager working abroad, there really isn’t a lot of choice. If ever a season felt like a passive, mid-table meh season, next season feels like it.

I look at those names and the situation becomes even more depressing. Let’s just hope he stays, can’t be doing with another season of rebuilding and looking at those above not much to look forward too. 

18 minutes ago, Jonesy90 said:

Well one of the main concerns would be replacing this thread 

so here it is 

Chris Martin as player manager

would he select himself? Would he play one up front ? Would 6th place be good enough?

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well one of the main concerns would be replacing this thread 

so here it is 

Chris Martin as player manager

would he select himself? Would he play one up front ? Would 6th place be good enough?

Can you loan out your player manager. That would be a first I reckon!

I Like Frank he has done a good job buttttttttttttttttttttt.

He must be CRAZY to go to Chelsea after just 1 year learning his trade , he at least needs another year somewhere in a lower tier ( with us hopefully ) than the prem learning his trade . WHAT HAS HE ACTUALLY ACHIEVED NOTHING THATS WHAT !! .

Also a bit like the McClaren/ Newcastle scenario but at least its at end of season so not as bad now . He should end speculation permanently either go quick so we can move on , or nail his colours to the mast which he all but did the other day but noticeably NOT QUITE !!.

If he goes I will be a bit sad but not totally as if he thinks going after just one season is a clever idea then he isn't as brainy as most give him credit for.

Why would you also go to a club as big as that when its just lost one of its biggest players and its under a transfer embargo , the bloke must be mad . It absolutely fits for him to go the next time the Chelsea job comes up and even a blind man can see it .

I also don't like the FRANK LAMPARDS Derby  scenario ………….nobody is bigger than our club even the manager not even cloughie !.

If you go Frank now then I say good riddance im sorry but that's how I feel and its not filled with bitterness just don't get it at all .

Archived