Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

4 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I mean, surely he's got an ear (and voice) on the inside. If he's talking about a Chelsea move so positively, that's probably the general feeling in family conversations?

That's what I thought initially, but at the end of the day, Jamie is a pundit. It's literally his job to give his opinion on different footballing topics. He was always going to get asked about this eventually - doesn't mean it's the result of anything going on behind the scenes.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

That's what I thought initially, but at the end of the day, Jamie is a pundit. It's literally his job to give his opinion on different footballing topics. He was always going to get asked about this eventually - doesn't mean it's the result of anything going on behind the scenes.

Yeah and to be fair, thinking about it, Uncle Harry wasn't as encouraging: 

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/01/harry-redknapp-doubts-frank-lampard-can-succeed-chelsea-manager-9770860/

‘If Sarri goes I think Frank would be one of the favourites,’ Redknapp told talkSPORT. 

‘Well, he is the favourite, if you look the bookmakers they’ve closed the book on it. He’s a massive odds-on favourite.

‘But it’s a difficult one for him. He’s at a good club, Derby is a great club. He’s had one year there and he’s got a good relationship with the chairman, so it would be difficult to leave.

‘But if the Chelsea job comes up, will he turn it down? It won’t be easy for him.

‘It’s a big job at Chelsea next year, with the transfer embargo and [potentially] losing Eden Hazard, I mean, my God, how do you replace him? He’s a special player.

‘No one can fill those boots. He’s in the top five players in the world. They can’t replace him.’

Just now, cosmic said:

Yeah and to be fair, thinking about it, Uncle Harry wasn't as encouraging: 

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/01/harry-redknapp-doubts-frank-lampard-can-succeed-chelsea-manager-9770860/

I don't know about you, but I find myself a little bit too obsessed with all of this at the minute.

Constantly checking Twitter and this forum for any news, reading every piece that pops up on the internet, searching #dcfc or 'Sarri' or 'Lampard' on Tiwtter. It's too much. I understand that the media kind of create this frenzy but I'm only just really realising now that I'm exactly the type of person who gets caught up in it, and that's not good.

I think that, until a) Sarri officially leaves Chelsea for Juventus or b) there is an official approach from Chelsea for Lampard, we have to just chill out. Or rather, I have to chill out.

It's business as normal for now, and that's fine. I've made no secret of the fact that I'm not Lampard's #1 fan, and wouldn't be particularly fussed if he did leave, but he has more than earned the right to be our manager after last season and I'll back him next season if he's still around. 

Amongst all this lampard will be approached . Frank will be great .  Franks the guy . Franks Sir Galahad and will lead Chelsea back to fields of gold .  If we are approached and say actually no , f -off were not Chelsea's feeder club what will happen .  Would be great to see that for the fun of it .  

20 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I don't know about you, but I find myself a little bit too obsessed with all of this at the minute.

Constantly checking Twitter and this forum for any news, reading every piece that pops up on the internet, searching #dcfc or 'Sarri' or 'Lampard' on Tiwtter. It's too much. I understand that the media kind of create this frenzy but I'm only just really realising now that I'm exactly the type of person who gets caught up in it, and that's not good.

I think that, until a) Sarri officially leaves Chelsea for Juventus or b) there is an official approach from Chelsea for Lampard, we have to just chill out. Or rather, I have to chill out.

It's business as normal for now, and that's fine. I've made no secret of the fact that I'm not Lampard's #1 fan, and wouldn't be particularly fussed if he did leave, but he has more than earned the right to be our manager after last season and I'll back him next season if he's still around. 

You should check out Irresistible - The Rise Of Addictive Technology by Adam Alter. Fascinating book on what companies are doing to get our attention. It's frightening.

Now go and have a lie down.

After you've checked Twitter that is.

20 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Yeah it’s getting a bit silly. I’ve fully invested in the Frank love-in, but I’m also firmly in the “it’s all noise” camp. It’s hard not to get dragged in, I’m always here waiting for someone to share the official word.

Rationally he’s going nowhere (until we hear otherwise), and I think we’re into a good thing with Frank, building on last season. I just have that niggle in the back of my brain that says we’re Derby and we never catch a break. Can’t remember a nice football narrative we’ve had that ended as we’d all hoped!

Just now, cosmic said:

Yeah it’s getting a bit silly. I’ve fully invested in the Frank love-in, but I’m also firmly in the “it’s all noise” camp. It’s hard not to get dragged in, I’m always here waiting for someone to share the official word.

Rationally he’s going nowhere (until we hear otherwise), and I think we’re into a good thing with Frank, building on last season. I just have that niggle in the back of my brain that says we’re Derby and we never catch a break. Can’t remember a nice football narrative we’ve had that ended as we’d all hoped!

Further to our Redknapp chat, here's Didier sticking his boot in...

It’s the same question being asked, do you think Lampard would be a good choice for Chelsea?

Both Redknapp’s, Ferdinand or Drogba haven’t written articles, they have simply been asked the question and the answers are predictable.

Are they going to say no, he’s not ready? No he’s not good enough? On your bike they can do better?

Of course they are going to sing the praises of their family and friends credentials, you wouldn’t expect anything less. Chelsea is a top job, they will want him managing at the top.

They are not going to say no comment, he has a job and it would be disrespectful to Derby are they?

With Soccer Aid I’m sure this question will be used to write a few more articles over the next couple of days because they get the clicks.

Unreal amount of disrespect the media & these ex Chelski players are giving DCFC.

A year or more ago, Frank was having a interview at Ipswich Town ?

Morris could have took a easy route and appointed someone with experience, but he instead went for Frank Lampard - someone with absolutely none whatsoever, not even at academy level. 

I'd say he owes it to Morris and the club for having faith in him, but whats commitment nowadays eh? Mcclaren and Rowett supposedly loved the club and couldn't wait to jump ship the second another club came calling.

Part of me wants him to go TBH and proper fail there, solely because the green isn't always greener. Ask Mac, ask Rowett, ask Vydra ? Another part believes he won't emulate the previous season without Mount and Wilson and we might actually see Jack Marriott in the side more often, rather than Bennett under (another) new manager.

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Bizarre statement. Did you learn nothing from the McClaren saga?

A manager will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER comment on a job if there's a manager still employed.

A manager will probably also never ever ever ever turn down a job that he's not even been offered! It's like me saying that I'm not going to have sexy-time with <insert name of famous fit bird> when she's not even asked for the best 30 seconds of her life!

On top of that, even if Lampard has spoken to Chelsea, nobody knows what was said. 

McClaren revealed before the ill-fated Reading game that he had indeed turned Newcastle down! 

2 minutes ago, Papahet said:

I'd say he owes it to Morris and the club for having faith in him, but whats commitment nowadays eh? Mcclaren and Rowett supposedly loved the club and couldn't wait to jump ship the second another club came calling.

I hate to re-hash old stuff but I think that's a little unfair

McClaren only went to Newcastle when Morris sacked him - We didn't get any compensation for that (in fact we'd have paid up the contract) and McClaren seemed fully ready to stay

And Rowett by all accounts wanted to leave for personal reasons - He lives/lived in the area, his kid is a Derby fan and he said it had become pretty unpleasant for him and his family being manager when they couldn't really ever get a break from it

Franks got a long managerial career ahead of him, Chelsea don’t keep managers for long, if he goes it could be his last managers job and return to BT sport by the time he’s 42, but if Chelsea come calling he’ll be gone in a heartbeat 

Archived