Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

How has he shown that he can take us to the next level? We're in exactly the same situation as this time last year, I enjoyed the season don't get me wrong, but let's not pretend it was all amazing, we lost plenty of easy games to rubbish teams at the bottom like Bolton and Rotherham. It's easy to look at the glamorous games, but nothing our team showed this year was as good as the last team we had at Wembley.

I'm not saying it's great to lose him, I just don't think it's the end of the world. Maybe we will get a crap manager if we need a new one, and maybe we'll get a better one.

The last time we was at Wembley was 5 years ago, he has taken an ageing team that played an awful brand of football and within two transfer windows replaced it with a younger team that was within one game of getting to the premier league.

Are we in same situation as last year, probably if he goes which is my point,  it’s back to square one with another manager, and back to your point, he could be good he could be bad, with FL we know what we have. Nope not the end of the world, we will survive, but another backward step for the club imo.

25 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

So are we saying, after all this time, Curtains was right? 

To be honest I thought it was ruddy obvious Lamps would be leaving as soon as the final whistle went at Wembley. 

He has covered about every possible angle, I’m pretty sure whatever happens he will be right ?

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

God, some of our fans really did buy into the ''Frank Lampard's Derby County'' thing. At the end of the day, we survived before Frank, we'll survive after Frank, he's likeable and did a decent job. That's it. Our club isn't going to collapse if he leaves, we'll get a new manager and go again.

Agree with all this ... I bought into the FLDCFC thing big time & really enjoyed last season but if he goes, he goes. No one bigger than the club, and we’ll all still be here next season so if it happens I’ll be disappointed but, hey hoe, we move on. As my grandad used to say ‘Son .... life’s a bitch & then you die’ 

Sith Happens

Well its escalated on here today. Seems we are convinced frank is off. From what i can tell is the media are reporting that sarri is both staying and leaving. That frank has both held talks with Chelsea and hasn't held talks, that Chelsea have both approached Derby and haven't.

Reports also suggest Chelsea may approach Derby if sarri goes.

So..my summary of this is no one has clue whats happening. Maybe because Nothing is happening.

When there is consistent information then there may be something in it. But largely it appears to me this is making the rounds because the likes of talk sport need something to fill their broadcasts.

20 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Nat Jackson on EMT just said there has been no approach to Derby for Frank,Nat could tell me anything and i would believe her lol

That’s what Billy used to say.... allegedly    

11 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

People need to get real, these foreign managers will want a mega buck contract with a transfer budget to match,something that Mel has admitted we haven't got

You mean like Daniel Farke and David Wagner? Like Jokanovic who had no control over transfers what so ever, Luhukay, Jaap Stam and Slutsky who went to Hull, who famously have no money at all? Some foreign coaches come to coach and improve themselves and the team, not all of them are here with intentions to spend big. In fact, those in the mould of Nuno are more rare than those in the mould of Farke.

Just now, LB_DCFC said:

You mean like Daniel Farke and David Wagner? Like Jokanovic who had no control over transfers what so ever and Slutsky who went to Hull, who famously have no money at all? Some foreign coaches come to coach and improve themselves and the team, not all of them are here with intentions to spend big. In fact, those in the mould of Nuno are more rare than those in the mould of Farke.

Not like Bielsa had much money to spend at Leeds either, I remember him spending a bit on Bamford and that's about it, and he's definitely the most high profile foreign manager in the league.

So Sky Sports are now running the story and they have that much confidence in it, that's its second on their top of the hour headline news to a MUFC supporters groups opinions on the signing of Dan James and their potential other transfer targets.

Talksport legend Dean Saunders this morning saying that Lampard should take the Chelsea job, as you never know when it will come up again, followed by a minute later saying that Chelsea sack their manager pretty much every year.

To reaffirm Dean's status as a leading insightful pundit, he the produced this gem when talking above Wales "the thing is with teams like Hungary and Cyprus, they now have the best players in their countries playing for them in the best positions."  Who'd have thought it!

So in summary, slow news day.

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Gap tooth ram said:

So Sky Sports are now running the story and they have that much confidence in it, that's its second on their top of the hour headline news to a MUFC supporters groups opinions on the signing of Dan James and their potential other transfer targets.

Talksport legend Dean Saunders this morning saying that Lampard should take the Chelsea job, as you never know when it will come up again, followed by a minute later saying that Chelsea sack their manager pretty much every year.

To reaffirm Dean's status as a leading insightful pundit, he the produced this gem when talking above Wales "the thing is with teams like Hungary and Cyprus, they now have the best players in their countries playing for them in the best positions."  Who'd have thought it!

So in summary, slow news day.

I did wonder what you meant by transport legend.

I thought maybe it was a reference to the fact that he will soon be an expert in public transport when he is banned from driving for being pissed up behind the wheel.

He also kept referring to franks huge budget at Derby.  where do they make it all up from? 

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Well its escalated on here today. Seems we are convinced frank is off. From what i can tell is the media are reporting that sarri is both staying and leaving. That frank has both held talks with Chelsea and hasn't held talks, that Chelsea have both approached Derby and haven't.

Reports also suggest Chelsea may approach Derby if sarri goes.

So..my summary of this is no one has clue whats happening. Maybe because Nothing is happening.

When there is consistent information then there may be something in it. But largely it appears to me this is making the rounds because the likes of talk sport need something to fill their broadcasts.

100% agree 

Absolutely nothing else to talk about in the Premier League as, with the exception of the Chelsea job, there are no other managerial changes to speak of. Newcastle takeover has gone quiet. 

So what is there to write about...the only minute bit of 'news' that gets clicks.

To put the lack of news into perspective the telegraph ran a story on the transfer window according to Football Manager. Nonsense.

For those that say Lampard should come out and say he is staying...also absolute nonsense. He's a high profile manager who is inevitably going to get linked to jobs. If he comments on every vacancy it will be extemely disruptive to his own success. If he comments on links to a job that isn't even vacant yet then quite frankly (no pun intended)he'll achieve nothing. He made it clear after the play off final. I have a contract and I'm starting to plan next season with the chairman. 

He doesn't need to say anything else at all. Even if/when Sarri goes.  The speculation will not stop until a.n.other. (most likely Rafa Benitez) takes up the role from sorry.

Why Benitez? Because he's  a safe pair of hands who has enough faith in his own ability and a decent squad to do what he needs to do for 18 months to two years then walk into another job pretty much anywhere. At which point FL may well take over. 

Will he stay will he go, if it wasn't Frank Lampard this thread wouldn't be creeping up to the 100 mark. There are a lot on here who seem to think Frank is the messiah,can walk on water and part the waves, well he can't. No different to last season apart from he has gelled the team and plays attractive football?. That doesn't get the points if they are not winning matches

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Dean_Saunders said:

I wonder how Darren Waffle could do if he had another go.

+ Hopefully learned a lot from last time. 

+ Knows the young players well.

- Experience.

- Fans would not be as patient as they would be with an outsider.

Ok as long as we don't play Rotherham ?

8 minutes ago, Dean_Saunders said:

I wonder how Darren Waffle could do if he had another go.

+ Hopefully learned a lot from last time. 

+ Knows the young players well.

- Experience.

- Fans would not be as patient as they would be with an outsider.

Hello Dean.....

Do you think though, that Dazwas would play our best players....possibly in their best positions??

So...let’s be honest...

Was the football Better under Lampard, Rowett Or under Mclarens first spell? (Yes Rowetts style was horrific)

You could also argue that results wise all three managers achieved similar finishes.

They all spent reasonable money, used loans.

what has since happened to McLaren and  Rowett? Both left for ‘bigger’ jobs... 

The point is, two mediocre managers achieved similar outcomes to Lampard. 

Puts it into perspective at least...

If Lampard does go, I would worry more for his career than our next season, recent history shows anyone who plays 11 players at Derby can get top 6!

18 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not like Bielsa had much money to spend at Leeds either, I remember him spending a bit on Bamford and that's about it, and he's definitely the most high profile foreign manager in the league.

The opportunity of managing in the premier league is so tempting that, if you believe you are a top coach and you could build a team to be successful, the championship is a fantastic avenue to go down. Plus if you 'fail', the opportunity to go back abroad and get a top job is still there eg Stam, who's now manager at Feyernoord after nearly taking Reading down in his 2nd season, Slutsky at Vitesse. Or if it works, you could be a Nuno, linked to the Chelsea job and revered by the Wolves fans, you could be a Wagner, now at Schalke, Bielsa was linked with Roma earlier this summer etc.

We've still never had a foreign coach in our history somehow, and I think that feeds into the attitude towards them by some (and i stress some) Derby fans I've spoken to, thinking they are charlatans or something. They have so much knowledge that could really develop the club and team, and although I don't want Frank to leave one bit, there are certainly options out there outside the same old names which would be exiting.

20 hours ago, Hanny said:

As of now- Frank has said he wants to stay at Derby (various quotes since the Villa game). 

Not one official team link has any statement around Frank meeting with or expressing interest in the position

It’s been bookies and off-season column line fodder that’s so far fueled all of this. 

If he leaves, he leaves- and we go again.

So I assume the next time Lampards spotted in/around Derby, everybody will be on here blasting that Frank must be talking with Mel about an extension?! Ok- look forward to that. 

COYR!

Hilda has seen Frank driving a Pickford's removal van. He wa heading onta M1 j25 south..... Hilda sez his sat Nav wa set fer Big smoke.

Archived